Turn on thread page Beta

What grades to you potential oxbridge ppl have? watch

ReputationRep:
    I got 2A*s, 5As & 3Bs gcse
    and 5As at AS, predicted 4As for A2.

hoping to study physics at Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    It IS all about potential! There are more people with glowing sets A*s and As buzzing around than can be accommodated at either Oxford or Cambridge - which is why the selection process has 3 parts (as described by an admissions tutor at Cambridge):
    1. The letters in the columns on the UCAS form - given a score out of 10
    2. The personal statement - also scored out of 10
    3. The interview - 10 again
    Candidates are scored out of 30, ranked and given offers accordingly.
    So 'potential' counts for approximately 2/3 of the application, theoretically. However, considering the fact that pretty much all candidates will have incredibly polished personal statements (schools won't let them go without being perfect) and top results, everyone will have at least 17/20 and your place hangs on the final 10 marks - which are all about your academic 'potential'. Hence, the interview is incerdibly important - it's the only chance you get to stand out and the only chance the tutors get to see who the person on the form really is.
    I can believe that GCSE/AS grades might count for as little as a third of the Oxbridge admissions process, but I am a little dubious about the personal statement counting for as much as them and the interview counting as little: as you say they all get polished by teachers, and even if they didn't then there would still only be so much that could be got out of them -- much more can be gleaned from the interview. Also, where do the school reference, specimen written work, and Oxbridge tests fit into this idea of thirds?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    I'm an international studetnt, have applied to Oxford to study PPE.

My GSCE equalent would be from the Norwegian Examination board (grades are from 1-6, where 6 is best). I got

6 in Religion, Norwegian bokmaal, Norwegian (oral), mathematics, written English, oral English, History/Economics/geography, written French, natural sciences (physics/bio/chemestry), physical education and music (11 in all).

5 in Norwegian newnorse, home economics and oral French (3 in all).

4 in art.

My predicted grades for IB is 37 out of 42, including 776 at higher level.
    GSCE are NOT equavalent to the Norwegian Examination board...the latter is WAY worse. (if u don't believe me, ask haakon. he's completed the GSCE)

ReputationRep:
    It IS all about potential! There are more people with glowing sets A*s and As buzzing around than can be accommodated at either Oxford or Cambridge - which is why the selection process has 3 parts (as described by an admissions tutor at Cambridge):
    1. The letters in the columns on the UCAS form - given a score out of 10
    2. The personal statement - also scored out of 10
    3. The interview - 10 again
    Candidates are scored out of 30, ranked and given offers accordingly.
    So 'potential' counts for approximately 2/3 of the application, theoretically. However, considering the fact that pretty much all candidates will have incredibly polished personal statements (schools won't let them go without being perfect) and top results, everyone will have at least 17/20 and your place hangs on the final 10 marks - which are all about your academic 'potential'. Hence, the interview is incerdibly important - it's the only chance you get to stand out and the only chance the tutors get to see who the person on the form really is.

Ben
    what about the academic reference?

ReputationRep:
    meh well i got 4A* 3A 3B 1C at GCSE and i think thats ok for oxford

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so it's not as finely divided as grades, personal statement and interview all the time (although it was in my case). Academic references count for nothing (really - it's just a formality most of the time), although I imagine it would fit in the proven academic part (grades). As for the extra work you have to send off and STEPs, they must be included in the 'interview' part. 2/3 from UCAS, 1/3 university assessed.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    I can believe that GCSE/AS grades might count for as little as a third of the Oxbridge admissions process, but I am a little dubious about the personal statement counting for as much as them and the interview counting as little: as you say they all get polished by teachers, and even if they didn't then there would still only be so much that could be got out of them -- much more can be gleaned from the interview. Also, where do the school reference, specimen written work, and Oxbridge tests fit into this idea of thirds?
    More IS gleaned from the interview - did you not read the second part of what I said?

Ben

ReputationRep:
    More IS gleaned from the interview - did you not read the second part of what I said?

Ben
    Do you know what score you got out of 30?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    Do you know what score you got out of 30?
    God, no!
    You never find out. Must've been enough, though...

Ben

ReputationRep:
    God, no!
    You never find out. Must've been enough, though...

Ben
    What were your GCSE and Alevel grades?

ReputationRep:

Ben
    Didn't you say each bit was worth 10?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr-shiraz)
    Didn't you say each bit was worth 10?
    Ben's point is that most people who apply to Oxbridge will have nearly 20/20 in the first two sections, so the third is the most important.

GCSEs: 6A*s, 3As
    AS Levels: AABC
    A2 Predictions: AAA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samantha **)
    GCSEs: 6A*s, 3As
    AS Levels: AABC
    A2 Predictions: AAA

Congrats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icy)
    GSCE are NOT equavalent to the Norwegian Examination board...the latter is WAY worse. (if u don't believe me, ask haakon. he's completed the GSCE)
    Calm down, all I meant was that I don't have GSCEs, I only have the Norwegian lower secondary school leaving certificate. I'm perfectly aware that the Norwegian school system sucks, why do you think I switched IB in the first place...?

ReputationRep:

Ben
    Rereading I see what you are getting at, but then describing it as ten points for each section is meaningless if you say all people who are of Oxbridge applicant standard get 9/10 or 10/10 on the first two.

Also there are usually several more bits of information used for admissions than the three you mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE: 7 A*s, 6 As

AS; AAAA
    A2; AAA

:-)

ReputationRep:
    13 GCSEs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparkly)
    GCSE: 7 A*s, 6 As

AS; AAAA
    A2; AAA

:-)
    Bah, I only did 9 but still got more A*s! But seriously, if those are your grades, well done! They are immense!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    13 GCSEs?
    That many can be fitted in if some are done early and then a couple of syllabuses are rushed through in year 11. I did a couple of GCSEs early and then managed to complete Class Civ, Additional Maths, and AS French in the GCSE year. It was bloody hard work though.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.