The Student Room Group
You certainly can't go and buy it from a chemist, that's for sure.. There's Levonelle but that's the morning after pill.

Why are you asking? Is there a girl you know who's pregnant? She needs to get to the doctor NOW if she doesn't want to keep the child..
Reply 2
scared a girl i slept with could be pregnant, cause of that whole cum on panties thing, and also another 2 times but condom used, and one of the times i didnt have come, and hte other i came out of her, but im just so paranoid and i have a bad feeling...
so wondering if the worse happens, what are my options??? without parents getting involved. .. sorry ive been stressed about it so badly.
Reply 3
well for a start you can only do what she wants to do. If she was pregggers and wanted to jeep the kid then theres nothing you can do.
If you are that paranoid about condom use and shes your girlfriend then I'd suggest she went on the pill as an added precaution.
Its highly unlikely that she is pregnant but if she was part of what you need to be thinking about is the effect this would have on her, she'd be the one having an abortion or whatever.
If you are that paranoid about sex maybe you shouldn't be having it yet.
Question: Should Drs be perscribing this kind of thing. But if YOu really want to know:
From the BNF:
2 hormonal method are avalible for emergency contraception.

Hormonal methods
Additional information: interactions (Levonorgestrel).
Hormonal emergency contraception involves the use of levonorgestrel. It is effective if dose is taken within 72 hours (3 days) of unprotected intercourse; taking the dose as soon as possible increases efficacy. Levonorgestrel may also be used between 72 and 120 hours after unprotected intercourse [unlicensed use] but efficacy decreases with time. Hormonal emergency contraception is less effective than insertion of an intra-uterine device (see below).

If vomiting occurs within 3 hours of taking levonorgestrel, a replacement dose can be given. If an anti-emetic is required domperidone is preferred.

When prescibing hormonal emergency contraception the doctor should explain:

that the next period may be early or late;

that a barrier method of contraception needs to be used until the next period;

the need to return promptly if any lower abdominal pain occurs because this could signify an ectopic pregnancy (and also in 3 to 4 weeks if the subsequent menstrual bleed is abnormally light, heavy or brief, or is absent, or if she is otherwise concerned).

Intra-uterine pregnancy despite treatment: see Appendix 4 (levonorgestrel).

INTERACTIONS
The effectiveness of the hormonal method of emergency contraception is reduced by enzyme-inducing drugs; a copper intra-uterine device may be offered or, otherwise, the dose of levonorgestrel should be increased to 2.25 mg (with 1.5 mg taken immediately and 750 micrograms taken 12 hours later) [unlicensed dose]. There is no need to increase the dose for emergency contraception if the patient is taking antibacterials that are not enzyme inducers.
LEVONORGESTREL
Additional information: interactions (Levonorgestrel).
Indications: emergency contraception

Cautions: see notes above; past ectopic pregnancy, severe malabsorption syndromes, severe liver disease (Appendix 2), pregnancy (see notes above and Appendix 4); breast-feeding (Appendix 5); interactions: see notes above and Appendix 1 (progestogens)

Contra-indications: porphyria (section 9.8.2)

Side-effects: menstrual irregularities (see also notes above), nausea, low abdominal pain, fatigue, headache, dizziness, breast tenderness, vomiting

Dose: 1.5 mg as a single dose as soon as possible after coitus (preferably within 12 hours but no later than after 72 hours)

Cost to NHS for pharma: £5.00
Reply 5
you guys are legends, so i am overreacting?
Ive thought about it, and realised (wait how sad is this?) that im not going to have sex for a while, cause it seems that everytime i have done it the last few years, i have spent a month going crazy about it.
Reply 6
thanks mate - same girl btw.
Reply 7
LondonBoy
thanks mate - same girl btw.

I'm assuming you are sleeping with the same girl......and not different girls.....if so...perhaps you should discuss additional methods of contraception i.e. she can go on the pill and you can use condoms as added protection should you chose to do so........

Contrary to popular belief contraception is NOT just the responsibility of the man.........females should play their part too!

And as people have suggested, if you feel unable to deal with the pressure of having sex and the risks associated with it, be it protected or otherwise, then you shouldn't be having it. If you're going to take a break like you suggest then use the time to read up on these types of situations so you are all knowledgable and not so paranoid next time!
Reply 8
LondonBoy
you guys are legends, so i am overreacting?
Ive thought about it, and realised (wait how sad is this?) that im not going to have sex for a while, cause it seems that everytime i have done it the last few years, i have spent a month going crazy about it.

Yes, completely - I told you the other day that there is almost no chance at all that she could be pregnant through your coming on her pants. You need to stop worrying - as <3 said, if you stress this much each time it's fairly clear you're not informed or prepared enough to be having sex. Read up on it, or if you have any other questions, PM me, <3 or anyone else and people will be able to tell you.

Edit: and no, you can't get that pill over the counter in the UK, but I would bet significant amounts of money that you will not need it.
Reply 9
thanks, can someone please tell me how many days after sex i can get her to take a pregnancy test?
Reply 10
LondonBoy
thanks, can someone please tell me how many days after sex i can get her to take a pregnancy test?

Is she as worried as you are?
Reply 11
No she is telling me to grow up properly
Reply 12
LondonBoy
No she is telling me to grow up properly

She's right you know, but you've admitted that yourself now. You can't force her to take a pregnancy test, though I will bet money that her period will come and she won't need to.

Latest

Trending

Trending