Should I bother asking for my predicted grade to go up?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Hi, I did AS Psychology last year on the AQA syllabus and I got an A (264/300). However, I was told by my teachers that my predicted grade is a B. Now I dunno whether this will the the actual predicted grade that will be put on my UCAS or whether it's just some college thing where they always start predicting you a lower grade and then you gradually work your way up. There have been a few people who just about managed to scrape the A and they are predicted the A. My friends say that it's only a prediction and you shouldn't worry about it since you will get the A in the end anyways. However, universities might not know this and therefore, might think of you as a B-grade student. At the end of the day, even if you get AAA, you might not have been offered a place in the first place because you was predicted BBB instead. For some people, they would be happy with a B but since I'm applying to do Maths at places like UCL and LSE, I think it might help me if there was some indication that I'm the type of student who is able to get As. Even though an A in Psychology isn't essential to what I want to do at uni, would it look better on my UCAS form if they saw ABB instead of BBB? Should I bother asking for it to be upped to an A or should I just forget it since it's only 1 grade after all and universities aren't really bothered. However, I just can't afford to take that chance.....
Adhsur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I think you should definitely speak to your teachers about this. I doubt it would make much of a difference considering you got an A at AS and that should count more, but to stop you worrying you should at least know why you were predicted a B and if anything, it will only be advantageous if you try and get it increased. However, predicted grades are supposed to be confidential so your teachers may not be happy if you dispute them. I do think it's worth trying though - it's your future so it is very important...you don't want something like that to risk ruining your chances at a uni you want to go to. And perhaps a higher predicted grade will give you peace of mind as well. Good luck.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
There is a good to this. You can beat the teacher's predictions! This tells the universities that you are able to surpass expectations, which can only be a good thing. There is also the added benefit of laughing in your teacher's face when you get that A on results day.

LSE don't do straight Maths (G100), so have you chose Economics+Maths or Business Maths and Stats?
jediknight007
Rep:
?
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
There is a good to this. You can beat the teacher's predictions! This tells the universities that you are able to surpass expectations, which can only be a good thing. There is also the added benefit of laughing in your teacher's face when you get that A on results day.

LSE don't do straight Maths (G100), so have you chose Economics+Maths or Business Maths and Stats?

I have applied to the first one.
theone
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
There is also the added benefit of laughing in your teacher's face when you get that A on results day.
That's the attitude!
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by theone)
That's the attitude!
Hell yes, I feed off envy and haterations! Extremely satisfying to overcome such disbelief. Though I'm sure your teacher will want you to prove him/her wrong.
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I think it's perfectly acceptable to have a chat with your teacher (especially as you scored an A which isn't considered to be a 'scraped A') if not only to find out the reason why you have received a B prediction.
TubbyGirl
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Don't worry about it too much unless grade offer is AAA you have nothing to worry about
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by TubbyGirl)
Don't worry about it too much unless grade offer is AAA you have nothing to worry about
Do you mind changing your sig???!? I personally dont wanna see crap like that.
theone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Change the sig you sick [insert expletive here].
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Eurgh he/she's at it again... I hope this wont become a daily event :rolleyes:
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
that is vile. Please change it unless you want everyone in the forums to hate you.
TubbyGirl
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
A mate told me about it. I have to share the grossness because it nearly made me barf.
jediknight007
Rep:
?
Yuck, someone delete that post please. I'm currently eating and I don't want to keep returning to this thread of mine to see that....
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
A mate told me about it. I have to share the grossness because it nearly made me barf.
Classic example of how not to use your webcam. :rolleyes:
TubbyGirl
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
Yuck, someone delete that post please. I'm currently eating and I don't want to keep returning to this thread of mine to see that....
LOL
TubbyGirl
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
tough luck pal
La_la_la
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I was in a similar position last year. I applied for history but despite getting a strong A in my AS I was predicted an A/B (the same grade as many people who got Bs). In fact many ppl who got Bs were predicted As.
Anway I spoke to the teacher and she refused to change it being a stupid b****. Anyway I don't think it affected my application that much (although I'm reapplying this year anyway - I always planned a gap year).
I have to say I did have to restrain myself from going up to her on results day and giving her a rude gesture... an A in every module and 113/120 for the supposed most difficult module. All in all I proved her wrong!!!! And was very happy!!!
At the time however it did very very little for my self esteem and I even started to question whether I was good enough to do history at uni!! I'm glad I stuck with it though I'm actually having withdrawel symptoms whilst not studying it. I really fancy a good history book to read!! Lol
La_la_la
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Sorry I forgot the point of my message. Lol. What I was going to say is that I def think you should speak to your teacher after all the worst he/she can say is No.
If she/he does refuse though remember teachers do get it wrong and don't work yourself up about it like I did (it was really not worth the stress at the already very stressful time)!!!! You'll just have to show them!!! Have confidence in yourself even if your teacher doesn't seem too!!

PS. I'm not bitter and twisted
T.G
Report 17 years ago
no wouldnt bother asking
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (527)
51.31%
No (500)
48.69%

Watched Threads