Turn on thread page Beta

Should I bother asking for my predicted grade to go up? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jediknight007)
    Hi, I did AS Psychology last year on the AQA syllabus and I got an A (264/300). However, I was told by my teachers that my predicted grade is a B. Now I dunno whether this will the the actual predicted grade that will be put on my UCAS or whether it's just some college thing where they always start predicting you a lower grade and then you gradually work your way up. There have been a few people who just about managed to scrape the A and they are predicted the A. My friends say that it's only a prediction and you shouldn't worry about it since you will get the A in the end anyways. However, universities might not know this and therefore, might think of you as a B-grade student. At the end of the day, even if you get AAA, you might not have been offered a place in the first place because you was predicted BBB instead. For some people, they would be happy with a B but since I'm applying to do Maths at places like UCL and LSE, I think it might help me if there was some indication that I'm the type of student who is able to get As. Even though an A in Psychology isn't essential to what I want to do at uni, would it look better on my UCAS form if they saw ABB instead of BBB? Should I bother asking for it to be upped to an A or should I just forget it since it's only 1 grade after all and universities aren't really bothered. However, I just can't afford to take that chance.....

If you are applying for these courses, particularly at the LSE you should make a considerable effort in trying to get 3 A's predicted. Some departments at LSE may reject the application without consideration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    If you are applying for these courses, particularly at the LSE you should make a considerable effort in trying to get 3 A's predicted. Some departments at LSE may reject the application without consideration.
    Well, with resits, extra LSE Saturday classes and plenty of hard work, I think I can get AAB but at the moment, I'm more worried about my predicted grades since they influence whether I get the offer in the first place. If they gave me a conditional offer of ABB, even if my predicted grades are only BBB, then I would be relieved.

ReputationRep:
    Well, with resits, extra LSE Saturday classes and plenty of hard work, I think I can get AAB but at the moment, I'm more worried about my predicted grades since they influence whether I get the offer in the first place. If they gave me a conditional offer of ABB, even if my predicted grades are only BBB, then I would be relieved.
    You just love mentioning LSE dont you. Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    You just love mentioning LSE dont you. Oh well.
    Sorry....I tried not to but I had to this time....

ReputationRep:

Just try real real hard to put them up to predicted 3 A'S, from knowing the admissions people in quite a few departments there, I would say that It'd really help. Of course it's not impossible getting an offer with less, it's just your chances decrease.

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem. On my reference my teachers predicted me BB and B/C, despite me getting ABB at AS level. Unfortunately I did not find this out until my form had been submitted I'm worried that my 3 favourite unis will reject me now, as they all want BBB-AAB.

I'd advise you to definitely go and speak to whoever predicted you those grades. You have nothing to lose by trying.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I had a quick chat with my Psychology teacher and she said that my prediction was A/B. I asked her which grade she would put on my form and she said A/B, which is wierd since I thought it had to be either A or B, not A/B or something. She also told me that universities will consider the A more and that I shouldn't need to worry. I'm still out to prove them wrong though....

yep i had the same problem, predicted a b in fmaths when i got as in the modules so far. and they wouldnt change it, even after lots of begging. i wouldnt mind so much but as its a 4th a-level so i wouldnt actually need it for the offers, so it just brings down the grade average

ReputationRep:
    Exactly (!) same position.. 264/300 at AS, and now predicted a B.

ReputationRep:
    you would ahve thought the teachers would want to give you a better chance of getting into the uni's you want. Admittedly AS is easier than A2 but if you get a good A like 265 you only need 215 which is about 70 %. Say you got a good A for coursework eg 80/90 you would only need 75/120 (C) and 60/90 (c) which is very attainable. unless you've been arsing about or your standard of work has fallen dramatically this year then you probably deserve the A prediction.

My problem was that i didn't take as importantly enough. I got Abbb but the UMS were all quite low so i had to work so hard last year to pull up my grades to AAAc. My predicted grades were AAA a/b but they went of to ucas as aaaa. I think as well in the first couple of years the teachers didn't really know the as system and had more faith in you as a student and that i don't think my predictions were really based on AS.

The other thing to bear in mind is that most peoples predictions from my school were spot on for people. You should ask your teachers why they think you cant repreat your AS performance and what you need to do to improve.

Hope all of your uni applications go ok
    Em

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 25, 2003
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.