Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Uni under/post grauates, I really wanna know how muc I will need for Uni and would be grateful if you could guide me through your Average Student Expenditure, by answering the following questions please.

Uni:
    Course:
    Town/City:

Average Student Expenditure:
    Food (lunches, etc.):
    Laundry:
    Books, stationery and equipment:
    New Clothes:
    Entertainment, societies, etc:
    Extras - local transport, telephone, gifts, etc:

Either per week, or month. Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Uniheffield
    Course:Law
    Town/Cityheffield

Average Student Expenditure: Per month
    Food (lunches, etc.): total food about £70
    Laundry: £8 approx
    Books, stationery and equipment: well I get my books and stuff at the start of the semester but I'd say I've spent about £350+ so far this semester
    New Clothes: get them when I can afford them
    Entertainment, societies, etc: £120
    Extras - local transport, telephone, gifts, etc: £40

ReputationRep:
    I spend about £100 per week.

ReputationRep:
    I spent at least £100 a week when I was an undergrad. You have to be the careful at the start of the year as well because freshers week can completely blow your budget!

ReputationRep:
    Uni: Birmingham
    Course: Physics

Food: well, I spend about £3 a day on lunch and usually end up buying some more stuff for about £5-6 a week.

Laundry: £3.80 a week (£1.70 for washing, £0.20 for drying.. I do 2 lots of laundry each week).

Books, etc: I've bought 4 books so far. One was absolutely necessary (about £36), one I just got cos it'd be useful (£25) and then a French book and a dictionary cos I needed them too (£21 in total).

Clothes: £0 atm.

Entertainment, societies: Don't go out that much and dunno how much I spend anyway. It cost me £10 to join Astrosoc for the duration of my course (4 years).

Transport: £93 for a bus pass for the term, will have to get a new one in January.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Hi Uni under/post grauates, I really wanna know how muc I will need for Uni and would be grateful if you could guide me through your Average Student Expenditure, by answering the following questions please.

Uni:
    Course:
    Town/City:

Average Student Expenditure:
    Food (lunches, etc.):
    Laundry:
    Books, stationery and equipment:
    New Clothes:
    Entertainment, societies, etc:
    Extras - local transport, telephone, gifts, etc:

It varies week by week. but for the last 2 weeks i decided i'm in desperate need of budgeting to try and find out how much i need to save so i've been sad and kept a record of my spending. Eg last week i wasn't very well and i didn't go out to clubs, just stayed in hall bar and went to cinema. I spent about £23 which broken down was £6 for the bus and about a tenner for food all week and the rest for alcohol. (i'm in catered halls but i don't get lunch in the week or dinner on sat and sun). However, so far this week i've ended up spending about 75 quid (although 50 was on boots so that doesn't count) and that'll go up b quite a bit cos i'm going home for the weekend. So add in train fair and birthdays presents for my freinds etc and i've had quite a pricy week.

AS for things like laundry, it depneds on how close you are to home and how many clothes you've got as to whether you can last without doing a wash between visits. It's not pricy though. Our uni machines are about £1.5 for a wash and dry. Phone bill wise, i generally use my mobile to prank people and then they phone me up on my uni phone so my bill hasn't been too bad, probably actually less than at home for some strage reason.

Socities.... you will spend lots of money signing up to things you'll never go to. I did try really hard to go to everyhting i signed up for but i don't have the time and now i've only really got time for 2-3 societies.

Also i've been trying to work out how much i can afford to spend on everyone for xmas. To be safe i worked out how much i wanted left in my bank for next term, deicded i'd budget £50 a week for the next 5 weeks and then let myself spend the rest.
    Hope thats been a bit of help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    I spend about £100 per week.
    Yeah I've been spending between £70 and £100 per week. I need to stop it or the money will run out real soon!

ReputationRep:
    Thank You people. You have been most helpful. can I just ask you another question(s):

Loan:
    Money off parents:
    Money from savings/part time job:

ReputationRep:
    Thank You people. You have been most helpful. can I just ask you another question(s):

Loan:
    Money off parents:
    Money from savings/part time job:
    That's a bit personal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    That's a bit personal.
    I'm not forcing you to answer. I was only requesting from other students, so that when I am off to uni, how much finance I would need.

ReputationRep:
    Bhaal - you might want to ask what people are paying for accommodation and whether they are selfcatered or not - it can make a big difference.

ReputationRep:
    Well when I was an undergrad I got a partial grant in my first year and loan and then I had a full loan in yrs 2 and 3. You can just about manage with your loan if you are really careful. You can check out the current student loan rates from their website I think. I have about £9,000 student loan.

Now doing postgrad savings from working for the past two years I am also hoping to get a grant for my books from a fund at home. Think I will have to get a job after xmas though.

Oh and my accommodation is self catered and I think works out at about £60 ish a week.

Check out all the banks for the student deals. Some give more overdraft than others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    Bhaal - you might want to ask what people are paying for accommodation and whether they are selfcatered or not - it can make a big difference.
    Good suggestion. i was under the impression you pay all that upfront. Ok. Peeps, yet another question:

accommodation and whether you are selfcatered or not?

Uni: nottingham
    Course: politics
    Town/City: er

Average Student Expenditure: hmm at the mo £20 b/c i'm poor
    Food (lunches, etc.): am catered but prob another £10
    Laundry: £1.20 but go home often as washing machine is rubbish
    Books, stationery and equipment: £84 in total this semester and that's with me being careful, one girl spent £300
    New Clothes: none ahh no money!
    Entertainment, societies, etc: hmm freshers took about £200 off me now its about £20/30 for going out and stuff, joining soc's ate about £12
    Extras - local transport, telephone, gifts, etc: its £2 return into town or a taxi back costs £7ish

ReputationRep:
    living on £100 a week

Loan: all £1000 so far went on accomodation
    Money off parents:thats what im living off (£300 a month)
    Money from savings/part time job:spent in freshers week.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    i managed on 30 a week. very possible.

ReputationRep:
    accommodation and whether you are selfcatered or not?
    Mine's not all catered - there is a cafeteria (buttery in Clare-speak) where you can get meals and they go on your college bill at the end of term, but we do have our own, limited kitchen facilities and it is pretty much possible to self cater, although you do still have to pay £86 a term Kitchen Fixed Charge (no, I don't know what it is either). My room is £660 a term.

ReputationRep:
    Uni: Birmingham University
    Course: English
    Town/City: Birmingham

Average Student Expenditure: £30 per week
    Food (lunches, etc.): My mom buys my food most weeks and I pick it up when I go back for the weekend! haha
    Laundry: My mom does my washing at the weekend.
    Books, stationery and equipment: So far I have spent about £120 on books.
    New Clothes: So far about £50 since I came to uni
    Entertainment, societies, etc: about £20 a week
    Extras - local transport, telephone, gifts, etc: the remaining £10 of my budget

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])

Food (lunches, etc.): My mom buys my food most weeks and I pick it up when I go back for the weekend! haha
    are you american?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])

should be ashamed. your mum still does all this??

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.