This discussion is closed.
lumpycustard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
what is it with these new government things? especially where it concerns kids and education!

@ cant use red pen - makes the child feel as though s/he is being critisised for what s/he cannot do... blah blah

@ advise against sports day as it is encouragin competitivness against other children (i loved sports day! its the whole point, havin a laugh)

@ cannot use a black board as it may offend people of different coloured races.

etc etc the list goes on

and on another note, u cannot sat STD u have to say STI, as disease implies 'something' that imfection doesnt.

ITS STUPID!!!!!
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by lumpycustard)
what is it with these new government things? especially where it concerns kids and education!

@ cant use red pen - makes the child feel as though s/he is being critisised for what s/he cannot do... blah blah

@ advise against sports day as it is encouragin competitivness against other children (i loved sports day! its the whole point, havin a laugh)

etc etc the list goes on

and on another note, u cannot sat STD u have to say STI, as disease implies 'something' that imfection doesnt.

ITS STUPID!!!!!
lol. You are joking right? Where oh where can I find this teachers handbook?
Brain Harvey
Badges:
Report 17 years ago

dat cannot be tru. U is avin a laf
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Brain Harvey)
dat cannot be tru. U is avin a laf
No, its completely true, di you know they are not allowed to have butter in schools, caause they may offend the other race?
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
yeh its all tru. however i not heard of the butter one before... dont c how it can...
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
yeh its all tru. however i not heard of the butter one before... dont c how it can...
chinese.
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bhaal85)
chinese.
how?

but the others r still crackin daft! as if!!!!!
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
how?

but the others r still crackin daft! as if!!!!!
I heard some kid got offended, cause one of the dinner ladies said she hated yellow buter, so the kid took it to heart. They even went so low as to ban cod liver oil tablets.

btw I'm just pulling your leg. lol. Where did you find out alll that info?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

etc etc the list goes on

ITS STUPID!!!!!
1: The red pen story is a myth - I've seen no reputable sources for it. It's just one of those stories trotted out by comumnists and editors everytime they want to run a "PC gone mad!!!" feature.

2: The only sports day thing I've heard of was at a primary school where the children voted for parents to be banned as they found thaving their parents there disrupted the day and spoiled their enjoyment of it.

3: Noone has banned blackboards, there is a growing tendency to use the americanism of chalk board but that has nothing to do with political correctness and everything to do with an increasingly globalised culture.

As for STD and STI - they're both medical terms it's just that the medical profession decided to make the most commonly used term STI because it's more accurate and specific - like referring to people with cerebral palsy not *******s or Downs' syndrome not ******s.
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
phew!

i read it from a google newspaper thing, and heard it from one of my IT teachers whos jus come out of training
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

etc etc the list goes on

ITS STUPID!!!!!
1)what happens if your colour blind?
2)is just plain stupid, what about all the competitiveness in class?
3)how stupid
4)Fair enough.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
And there was me just thinking that people were using blackboards less because whiteboards/penboards where more convenient or something :rolleyes:
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
1: The red pen story is a myth - I've seen no reputable sources for it. It's just one of those stories trotted out by comumnists and editors everytime they want to run a "PC gone mad!!!" feature.

2: The only sports day thing I've heard of was at a primary school where the children voted for parents to be banned as they found thaving their parents there disrupted the day and spoiled their enjoyment of it.

3: Noone has banned blackboards, there is a growing tendency to use the americanism of chalk board but that has nothing to do with political correctness and everything to do with an increasingly globalised culture.

As for STD and STI - they're both medical terms it's just that the medical profession decided to make the most commonly used term STI because it's more accurate and specific - like referring to people with cerebral palsy not *******s or Downs' syndrome not ******s.
it is true love. go into teacher training and find out these things like me friend (trent uni) its all tru
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
it is true love. go into teacher training and find out these things like me friend (trent uni) its all tru
Can you provide a reputable source?

I'll give you a hand - one primary school in the UK has decided that all their teachers should use green ink for marking instead of the red, blue and black that was used before for consistancy and because they believed that green is a more positive colour than red (which is fair enough - if you're deciding on a school wide consistancy policy it makes sense to decide on a posative colour rather than a negative one) - a reputable source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/2688623.stm

One school is hardly the same as a country wide policy. Your friend might have been told of a few of these individual cases but word of mouth (even through teachers/lecturers) is still word of mouth. 9 times out of 10 people prefer to sensationalise the motives behind these changes rather than find out the truth.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
And some more help - the story about parents being banned from sports day (not sports day being banned) is here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3039553.stm and oh look what the parents say
political correctness gone mad
:rolleyes:

Where sports days are banned it's usually because of a lack of money/staff time rather than because it's competetive.
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
well i suppose we all hear different things. all i no is my school as banned balck boards as to not offend the few coloured people we have in our school (evn tho i agree, whit boards r mor convienent)
jstringer
Report 17 years ago
well i suppose we all hear different things. all i no is my school as banned balck boards as to not offend the few coloured people we have in our school (evn tho i agree, whit boards r mor convienent)
in that case wouldn't white boards offend white ppl?
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Ah, I see some politics in you yet.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
And did they tell you in writing that that was the reason or did you hear it through rumour/word of mouth? Like you say white boards are far more convenient and it would seem far more logical to phase out blackboards because of practical reasons like that than because of an irrational fear of offending someone. I can't believe even teachers would be that daft
Unrеgіstered
Report 17 years ago

etc etc the list goes on

ITS STUPID!!!!!
that's not true.

1. teachers still use red pens
2. sports day still happens
3. white boards are better
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (485)
51.82%
No (451)
48.18%

Watched Threads