The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Even if one is able to do an A&F degree, with no Maths A-level qualification listed in an accountant's CV it wouldn't go down well with employers I presume. Unless ofcourse it's a highly regarded course from a very reputable university, but then that would be near impossible as they wouldn't accept applicants with no maths.
Reply 2
Xenomorph v2.1
Even if one is able to do an A&F degree, with no Maths A-level qualification listed in an accountant's CV it wouldn't go down well with employers I presume. Unless ofcourse it's a highly regarded course from a very reputable university, but then that would be near impossible as they wouldn't accept applicants with no maths.

Hmm, many A&F graudate schemes don't really ask for specific A levels, using PwC as an example, they just require 320 ucas points + 2:1 in any degree. However their actuarial schemes ask for a maths related degree.

Other firms are fine with grade A maths.

Is the above all bull?
Taintsniffer
Hmm, many A&F graudate schemes don't really ask for specific A levels, using PwC as an example, they just require 320 ucas points + 2:1 in any degree. However their actuarial schemes ask for a maths related degree.

Other firms are fine with grade A maths.

Is the above all bull?

I'm sure the above is correct it sounds like you've done your research. It is important to aknowledge the fact that these places are very competative with the acceptance:applicant ratio being extremely small. Just about everybody who applies fulfills the requirements, and so the ones with a good qualification in Maths will have the upper hand and are more likely to be accepted. This is the case with both universities admissions and company employmers because in the end those with good mathematical skills are more likely to be better accountants than those who don't.

Having said that, it still is worth a shot, if there are universities who do not require maths then do apply but as many on TSR will tell you it's not as simple as just meeting the requirements they've stated.
Reply 4
Xenomorph v2.1
I'm sure the above is correct it sounds like you've done your research. It is important to aknowledge the fact that these places are very competative with the acceptance:applicant ratio being extremely small. Just about everybody who applies fulfills the requirements, and so the ones with a good qualification in Maths will have the upper hand and are more likely to be accepted. This is the case with both universities admissions and company employmers because in the end those with good mathematical skills are more likely to be better accountants than those who don't.

Having said that, it still is worth a shot, if there are universities who do not require maths then do apply but as many on TSR will tell you it's not as simple as just meeting the requirements they've stated.

Hmm, I see where you are coming from. I will probably consider taking up Maths AS Level next year.
Taintsniffer
Hmm, I see where you are coming from. I will probably consider taking up Maths AS Level next year.

Yeah that will most definately boost your application :yep: To be honest in today's time all A&F applicants choose Maths as their main subject for A-level. Did you decide on doing A&F later on, or did you just not want to choose maths?
Reply 6
Taintsniffer
Well just wondering how people who are on a A&F course or similar and didn't do maths AS/A Level. How hard is the maths?

Btw I'm thinking of applying for Birmingham therefore I'm resitting maths gcse to get a A.

-Adam

You really don't need it for AS/A Level qualification the Maths at AS/A Level has nothing to do with anything you do in accounting its formulas e.t.c but it's the fact that your solving **** mentally.
Look good on CV/UNI ? YES Needed in order to get A at A Level ? No.

At most in accounting AS you just need to know how to add/subtract/times how to work out percentages and divide i.e. On Profit and Loss theres an expense of loan interest : Business has taken out a Β£6,000 10% loan 2 months into new business year. The interest is 600 per year divide it by 12 to get 50 pound a month x that by 10 to get the annual interest for that year 500 for that business year.

Thats about as hard as AS level maths is pretty simple.
Reply 7
Xenomorph v2.1
Yeah that will most definately boost your application :yep: To be honest in today's time all A&F applicants choose Maths as their main subject for A-level. Did you decide on doing A&F later on, or did you just not want to choose maths?

Decided during this year when I explored finance in AS Business. Finance is definitely my interest and if my school did Econimics I would have picked that. In terms of the Maths A-level, I knew it was really important in general but I just didn't want to after GCSE since I didn't enjoy it but now I've had a year without it so I think I'll cope better. Something relating to finance/consulting seems really interesting, ah there are so many options!
Taintsniffer
Decided during this year when I explored finance in AS Business. Finance is definitely my interest and if my school did Econimics I would have picked that. In terms of the Maths A-level, I knew it was really important in general but I just didn't want to after GCSE since I didn't enjoy it but now I've had a year without it so I think I'll cope better.

Oh I see, well best of luck dude! Hope you find a good A&F course to study.
Reply 9
swatjosh

At most in accounting AS you just need to know how to add/subtract/times how to work out percentages and divide i.e. On Profit and Loss theres an expense of loan interest : Business has taken out a Β£6,000 10% loan 2 months into new business year. The interest is 600 per year divide it by 12 to get 50 pound a month x that by 10 to get the annual interest for that year 500 for that business year.

Try Key Stage 3 Maths
Reply 10
swatjosh
You really don't need it for AS/A Level qualification the Maths at AS/A Level has nothing to do with anything you do in accounting its formulas e.t.c but it's the fact that your solving **** mentally.
Look good on CV/UNI ? YES Needed in order to get A at A Level ? No.

I'm talking about a degree in A&F not AS accounting.
Reply 11
Taintsniffer
I'm talking about a degree in A&F not AS accounting.

oh sorry.
Reply 12
To be honest, most of accounting things these days is written. You only need to remember a forumula, then slot the relevent sections in.

I've gone down the AAT Route, and am due to start my ACCA shortly. I've seen students with degrees in the subject struggle because they aren't as competant in a workplace environment as someone who has spent the time going down a more practical route.
Reply 13
I am just about to graduate from an Accounting and Finance degree and I've completed it without A level maths. Very few graduate schemes ask for you to have an A level in maths, more are concerned that you have a good grade of GCSE in it.

So no, you don't need it. A&F is more about remembering formulae anyway.
Reply 14
if you're resitting to get an A at gcse level then i wouldnt suggest you to take A level maths.
Reply 15
gracie88
I am just about to graduate from an Accounting and Finance degree and I've completed it without A level maths. Very few graduate schemes ask for you to have an A level in maths, more are concerned that you have a good grade of GCSE in it.

So no, you don't need it. A&F is more about remembering formulae anyway.

If you don't mind telling but what honours are you looking to graduate with? Did you feel disadvantaged to others with A-level maths?

Mainly did you enjoy it?
Reply 16
Taintsniffer
If you don't mind telling but what honours are you looking to graduate with? Did you feel disadvantaged to others with A-level maths?

Mainly did you enjoy it?

I'm pretty sure I'll get a 2.1 hons and I could get a first if I really push myself for finals.

I loved it, but then I've always liked maths and sums and I did Business studies from GCSE through to A level.
Reply 17
gracie88
I'm pretty sure I'll get a 2.1 hons and I could get a first if I really push myself for finals.

I loved it, but then I've always liked maths and sums and I did Business studies from GCSE through to A level.

Hmm, which other A-levels did you do? Anything maths related?
Reply 18
Taintsniffer
Hmm, which other A-levels did you do? Anything maths related?

Did Art, Business studies and History so no, nothing else maths related.
Reply 19
gracie88
Did Art, Business studies and History so no, nothing else maths related.

Hmm, I think Kingston's course is a BA. The one I'm looking at (Birmingham) is a Bsc which susposedly contains more maths.. :s-smilie: