The Student Room Group

Latin language paper 1 (higher)

Hey,

I was wondering what you have to know for latin language paper 1 higher, in comparison to the harder paper 2. I'd like to know so I can just focus on the paper 1 topics for revision as I'm not taking paper 2.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not certain but I think the only disparity lies in the vocab. In paper two there is like 100-200 more words for you to learn. we are skipping that paper to do coursework. What and how are you revising for latin overall? how did you do in your mock?
paper 2 is a "harder unseen translation" with more vocab
Well_Hello

but no extra grammar constructions or anything? it's just more vocab?
Well_Hello

:yep: This. Paper 1 is the first comprehension, then translation, then a harder translation, which are all part of the same story, so there will be interlinked vocab (so ambiguous words can be worked out through context :o: ). Paper 2 is completely different story with different vocab with (as my latin teacher calls them) more 'sheep from goats' words.
Reply 5
<3 biology!
but no extra grammar constructions or anything? it's just more vocab?

I'm pretty sure it's just extra vocab. :smile:
Thank you everyone, you've been a great help! :biggrin:
gernumblies
:yep: This. Paper 1 is the first comprehension, then translation, then a harder translation, which are all part of the same story, so there will be interlinked vocab (so ambiguous words can be worked out through context :o: ). Paper 2 is completely different story with different vocab with (as my latin teacher calls them) more 'sheep from goats' words.

I must be on a different board..

what are your set-texts on?
I'm on OCR - set texts are Druids by Caesar and Boudica by Tacitus. Then for prose we have Virgil's Aeneid, Book VI.
Well_Hello
I must be on a different board..

what are your set-texts on?

I'm on OCR too. My set texts are the same as <3 Biology.
gernumblies
I'm on OCR too. My set texts are the same as <3 Biology.

How are you getting along with the literature? We've only just started the verse. I've learnt the first section of Aeneid Book VI, but that's it. We just focus on the language in lessons really. :s-smilie: and how are you planning on revising?
<3 biology!
How are you getting along with the literature? We've only just started the verse. I've learnt the first section of Aeneid Book VI, but that's it. We just focus on the language in lessons really. :s-smilie: and how are you planning on revising?

I know bits and pieces of my lit, through lots and lots of typing up so I can get translation and text next to each other, then go from there. That's how I'm doing it.
Thought paper 2 was a harder translation AND a translation INTO Latin? Or have they changed that now?

As far as I'm aware the only differences are the amount of vocab. Still need to know all the same grammar etc.
<3 biology!
I'm on OCR - set texts are Druids by Caesar and Boudica by Tacitus. Then for prose we have Virgil's Aeneid, Book VI.

OMG how did you get away with interesting things? I had to do crappy poems about the countryside. A level is great though - I love Cicero!

To revise literature, I sat down for 3 hours at a time and rote-learned it line for line off by heart, in english and in latin. Probably not recommended (I had left it a bit late) but it did get results! Good luck for anyone doing the exam this year!:smile:
If the paper 2 is the one which can be replaced by coursework, then I'm assuming that paper 1 is the one I'm doing. Essentially you have to know all of the grammar points and a fair amount of vocabulary. I'm not sure how you'd go about learning the right stuff though, as we were told the correct vocabulary to learn by my teacher. I did a practise version of it, and I have to say, it isn't something you can avoid revising for.

As for literature, I'm doing Druids by Caesar and Virgil's Aeneid Book IV. They don't look too bothersome, really, it's just a matter of learning the stories in English, and getting a rough idea of where all of the plot points occur.
foolsihboy
Thought paper 2 was a harder translation AND a translation INTO Latin? Or have they changed that now?

I'm pretty sure they've changed it. Latin is a dead language so why should we bother trying to speak or write in it? :biggrin:
Unkempt_One
I'm pretty sure they've changed it. Latin is a dead language so why should we bother trying to speak or write in it? :biggrin:

Well, this was last year... so. It shows that you understand the grammar etc, how to form it rather than how to recognise it. It is good practise for a linguistics degree...
"This, this is the man whom you hear more often being promised to you" (line 791 from Aeneid 6).

For the language paper just make sure you know the vocab list back to front and the grammatical structures (briefly no need to go mad).

Surprised there are so many latinos on TSR. :smile:
t3h_y0u553f
"This, this is the man whom you hear more often being promised to you" (line 791 from Aeneid 6).

For the language paper just make sure you know the vocab list back to front and the grammatical structures (briefly no need to go mad).

Surprised there are so many latinos on TSR. :smile:

Ahh, classic. :smile:
"HIC! HIC EST VIR!"
Reply 19
How is everyone revising for the language paper? i've learnt all the vocab but any tips on improving grammar and constructions like ablative absolutes, indirect statements, imperfect subjunctive, deponent, passive and all of that?

Quick Reply

Latest