This discussion is closed.
Javier Traver
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
When I run a spell-checker program on my document, I start doubting lots or things I wrote. In
particular, the checker find some words which it finds "suspicious". As English is not my mother
tongue, I do not know what to do.

I would like your help in deciding which of these should be written with a hyphen and which don't,
and which should be the "rule" (if one exists):

- pre-computation(s)
- photo-receptors or photoreceptors
- under-sampling or ...
- over-sampling
- co-exist
- ego-motion
- sub-pixel
- re-mapping

Can, in general, be considered both versions (with or without hyphen) correct?

Thanks a lot!

Javier
Cybercypher
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Javier Traver <[email protected]> burbled news:[email protected]:

[q1]> When I run a spell-checker program on my document, I start doubting lots or things I wrote. In[/q1]
[q1]> particular, the checker find some words which it finds "suspicious". As English is not my mother[/q1]
[q1]> tongue, I do not know what to do.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I would like your help in deciding which of these should be written with a hyphen and which don't,[/q1]
[q1]> and which should be the "rule" (if one exists):[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> - pre-computation(s)[/q1]
[q1]> - photo-receptors or photoreceptors[/q1]
[q1]> - under-sampling or ...[/q1]
[q1]> - over-sampling[/q1]
[q1]> - co-exist[/q1]
[q1]> - ego-motion[/q1]
[q1]> - sub-pixel[/q1]
[q1]> - re-mapping[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Can, in general, be considered both versions (with or without hyphen) correct?[/q1]

Correct for whom? If you are using these words in a paper for a university course, then you
undoubtedly have a professor who knows how he or she wants them spelled. Ask your professor. You
should be able to find them in course books, shouldn't you? Check to see how those books spell these
words. These words ought to be in a variety of computer, audio, and graphics glossaries and
dictionaries available on the web and probably in your school library. They will certainly be
available in articles published on the web. And if you are doing this professionally, buy a couple
of good general and technical dictionaries. Learn how to use a dictionary, please.

--
Franke: Grammar 1: Internalized rules for the spoken language. Grammar 2: Formal rules for the
written language. Grammar 1 does not equal Grammar 2.
M_rudky
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
That is right, I totally agree with CyberCypher. The best solution is your looking up in the
dictionary. Regards

Rudky

CyberCypher <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected] 30.133.1.4>...
[q1]> Javier Traver <[email protected]> burbled news:3D183FB0.6[email protected]:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> > When I run a spell-checker program on my document, I start doubting lots or things I wrote. In[/q2]
[q2]> > particular, the checker find some words which it finds "suspicious". As English is not my mother[/q2]
[q2]> > tongue, I do not know what to do.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > I would like your help in deciding which of these should be written with a hyphen and which[/q2]
[q2]> > don't, and which should be the "rule" (if one exists):[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > - pre-computation(s)[/q2]
[q2]> > - photo-receptors or photoreceptors[/q2]
[q2]> > - under-sampling or ...[/q2]
[q2]> > - over-sampling[/q2]
[q2]> > - co-exist[/q2]
[q2]> > - ego-motion[/q2]
[q2]> > - sub-pixel[/q2]
[q2]> > - re-mapping[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Can, in general, be considered both versions (with or without hyphen) correct?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Correct for whom? If you are using these words in a paper for a university course, then you[/q1]
[q1]> undoubtedly have a professor who knows how he or she wants them spelled. Ask your professor. You[/q1]
[q1]> should be able to find them in course books, shouldn't you? Check to see how those books spell[/q1]
[q1]> these words. These words ought to be in a variety of computer, audio, and graphics glossaries and[/q1]
[q1]> dictionaries available on the web and probably in your school library. They will certainly be[/q1]
[q1]> available in articles published on the web. And if you are doing this professionally, buy a couple[/q1]
[q1]> of good general and technical dictionaries. Learn how to use a dictionary, please.[/q1]
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your firm and insurance uni choices yet?

Yes (111)
55.22%
Yes, but I want to swap them (16)
7.96%
No, but I know who I want to choose (18)
8.96%
No, I still don't know who I want to choose (48)
23.88%
I have decided I don't want to go to uni anymore and will not be choosing (8)
3.98%

Watched Threads