This discussion is closed.
naz
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
What would be a good combination of AS/A2 levels for those contemplating the study of LAW at university?
fatboy06
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by naz)
What would be a good combination of AS/A2 levels for those contemplating the study of LAW at university?
Well, I dunno an awful lot about it but I know that History, (and any of the arts) is an excellent one when comtemplating studying law. Another point is do u wanna b a barrister or a solicitor or a solictor advocate? Personally, I did 2 weeks work experience at a solicitors firm (i know that isn't enough to judge) and I found it mind-numbingly boring.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by naz)
Doesnt really matter what you take. Any combinations of A-levels (aaprt from things like Music/art/PE/etc, that have lots of practicals) will allow you to get into Uni. However many unis dont want you to have done law at a-level.

If you mean what sort of A-levels would contribute to the degree I would say:

English
History
Maths
llama boy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
However many unis dont want you to have done law at a-level.
Very true. It isn't very well considered.

Philosophy seems like a good background, if your school/college does it.
Elle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
.. and also Politics perhaps
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It really doesnt matter I think they like you to have a good mix of subjects but thats about it. Why dont you check with your school if ou have any doubts.
Riz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
2 Years ago I was asking the exact same question as you and ended up doing Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and Maths at AS. The admissions tutors which I did email asking about these subjects said they were fine - I also asked about IT and they said, as an eample if your offer was AAB the the A's would have to come. from two other very academic subjects.
I also asked the Law admissions tutor at Nottingham university about A level subjects whilst I was there on a Pro-Link (or something along those lines) course for y11 students and he said all academic subjects are acceptable but if there were 2 otherwise equal canditates, one having social science ane english related subjects (including Psychology and Sociology he said) and one not, then the first one would recieve the offer over the other one should they both be competing for the same place

HOWEVER,.................. I dropped the Chemistry after AS and am now studying Biology, Maths and Psychology at A2 and have applied to study Psychology at university next year. Oh how times change!

This is just what I found out and my experience of things, which may have changed since the 2 years ago it was when I researched this so please check this for yourself, and bear in mind that it will vary depeding on the institutions you are applying to and the admission tutors reading your applications.

Hope this isn't too cofusing and maybe helps a little,

Riz x
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (480)
51.72%
No (448)
48.28%

Watched Threads