English literature or language @ A-level?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
fatboy06
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Hi I'm in the process of chossing a-levels at the moment and I was wondering whether I should choose english lit or lang. I enjoy, and am better at (in my opinion) the original writing side of english rather than the critical writing, however I am good at both. Is lit regarded to be better/more difficult?

Thanks.

PS sorry about starting a new thread b4 posting at all.
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by fatboy06)
Hi I'm in the process of chossing a-levels at the moment and I was wondering whether I should choose english lit or lang. I enjoy, and am better at (in my opinion) the original writing side of english rather than the critical writing, however I am good at both. Is lit regarded to be better/more difficult?

Thanks.

i did language and it was alright. all the intellectual snobs on here will clamour to tell you lit is better though.
Sophdoph
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I did Lit - it is good as long as you are prepared to do a lot of reading, language has a lot more of your own creative writing, and more to do with formation of language and studying "English" rather than texts.
Elle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Sophdoph)
I did Lit - it is good as long as you are prepared to do a lot of reading, language has a lot more of your own creative writing, and more to do with formation of language and studying "English" rather than texts.
Language= Boring..

Do Lit, if you like English you will get a lot more out of this course because you are able to study the works of some really good writers. In Language you only get to study the principles of English- thats no way near as exciting
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Lit defiantly, with Language most courses do a creative writing element but its prob tosh.
Mr White
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I didn't have a choice with regards to Language / Literature - my college only offered the one choice (lit.). That would have been my preference anyway, though.
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

Thanks.

If you like learning about the way people speak, the way people write, and the general study of language - then Language would be the course for you.

If you like reading and studying and analysing texts - then Literature is the course for you.

But you could do Lit/Lang - then you get parts of both courses in one subject!
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Definitely literature - it is much more interesting in my opinion, and more traditional and respected. It will make you more cultured as you read novels as opposed to media articles (not to diminish the value of language of course!). Plus, if you wish to pursue english at university, the top unis all like to see you have lit (some make it compulsory). Best bet is to stick with lit. I would have done it, had it fit in my timetable.
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by theaman)
But you could do Lit/Lang - then you get parts of both courses in one subject!
Don't do langlit! It was such a big mistake...in so many ways I can't count.
Unrеgіstered
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago

Thanks.

'Hi' should have a comma next to it. 'A-levels' should begin with a capital letter (so should 'English') and the word 'and' should never have a comma next to it. If this was an English Language essay, you would have been marked down on them things. I recommend Literature.
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unrеgіstered)
'Hi' should have a comma next to it. 'A-levels' should begin with a capital letter (so should 'English') and the word 'and' should never have a comma next to it. If this was an English Language essay, you would have been marked down on them things. I recommend Literature.
You mean THOSE things, you pedantic fool.
Unrеgіstered
Report 17 years ago
them or those are both correct
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Can you do a combined course? I did english lang/lit combined.
Worried
Report 17 years ago
If you intend to pursue English to degree level, do literature. Most English courses at university have literature as a requirement and a few recommend language as an optional A-Level choice.
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
lol i do lit and my friend does lang at another college. i'm studying measure for measure and chaucer whilst she was studying adrian mole....
emom100
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
do literature. I really enjoyed it and my teacher said the course was put together better than the combined one.Don't know too much about the language side cos no one signed up for it in my year.
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It all depends on what you would like to do at uni and what interests you.

The GCSE syllabus for Lang and Lit follow similar paths into A-Level, so if you like what you have learnt in either, then you might want to follow up on that.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (535)
51.15%
No (511)
48.85%

Watched Threads