The Student Room Group
Design Students, University of Cumbria
University of Cumbria
Carlisle

University of Cumbria - Tower Hamlets Site

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi - I have applied at a very late stage for the primary (modular) course at the University of Cumbria Tower Hamlets site. Because of my late application I am still sorting out my classroom experience, although I have a school willing to use me as a volunteer and I am just waiting for my CRB check to come back.
Does anyone know if this will really set me back in terms of being offered an interview, or could I still be granted one on the basis that I'll soon have the classroom experience?
Many thanks
Chloe
(PS any other information about the course would be helpful in terms of how much time per week people need to put into it, whether it works alongside childcare, and if people are generally finding it a good course? I have heard some concerns about the TH campus being under threat because of funding problems).
Design Students, University of Cumbria
University of Cumbria
Carlisle
Reply 21
I'm currently on the Flex Mod course at Tower Hamlets and my advice to any prospective students would be - AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE! It appears that when it comes to finding placements, Cumbria give priority to their full-time BA and PGCE students and the Flex Mod students are placed at the bottom of the pile where they are conveniently forgotten. I decided to take matters into my own hands and find my own placement as the uni didn't seem to be doing much in that direction. Believe me, it wasn't easy - I had to write to over 200 schools before I finally received a 'yes'. I should have finished the course last week but I've only just started my final placement. If I knew then what I know now, I would have applied for a PGCE elsewhere. So, good luck - you will probably need it!
Reply 22
Oh dear!
Is there anything else I should know?

By the way, what did the interview for this course consist of?
Did you have to discuss educational topics? Was this covered in the written work?
Reply 23
Interview seems ages ago now! We were sent an article on an educational issue a week or so prior to interview. At the interview, we were separated into small groups (4/5), and asked questions relating to the article by a tutor - it was quite relaxed. Following this, we had to write a short essay on another educational issue (weren't told which issue in advance). Finally, came the interview - typical questions: Describe a memorable lesson you have witnessed/What qualities do you need to make a good teacher/Describe your perfect classroom (don't forget to mention the kids if they ask you this one!)/etc, etc. There are one of two tutors that are very supportive and helpful - I just drew the short straw and got lumbered with one who seems to prefer to bury his head in the sand and hope that all the students and their petty problems will go away! Let's hope you don't have any the problems that some of us have encountered!
Reply 24
Thanks for the info!
Was just wondering how much time per week you typically need to put into this course?
And can you complete it in less than 2 years (if you manage to arrange the placements in time!!!)? Were there many people who managed to combine it with childcare or a part time job?
Reply 25
It's difficult to say how much time you need to put into the course as it varies according to which stage you are at. Each National Curriculum subject is covered by online units and a few of these have assessments that you're supposed to complete to be marked by a uni tutor - I completed mine during the first term and they've never been marked, so I wouldn't pay too much attention to these (unless you're told otherwise!) There are also ten assignments to complete - most are straightforward essays, but a couple involve group work and the creation of a powerpoint/electronic teaching resource, etc. Obviously, while on placement, the workload dramatically increases as you are given tasks by the uni to complete, as well as lesson plans, assessments, evaluations and so on.
The course can be completed in either 5 or 6 terms - depends on whether you pass the assignments/teaching practices. Approximately 50% of my group managed to combine the course with childcare/part-time work - only one person dropped out because of childcare issues, a couple of others left or deferred for other reasons.
Hope this info helps you.
Facebook group for PGCE students starting in Sept '10:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=114014308611716
Reply 27
Hi, i'm hoping to move from uni of cumbria in carlisle to uni of cumbria tower hamlets site to do my final yr in teaching. I'm slightly worried about the gang culture and stabbings that i keep seeing on tv and finding on the interent!! is it just gettin bad press?? its putting me off slightly, trace
Reply 28
Hi everyone, i really should check this more often

There were some first year BA Primary prospective students in last week for interviews who i told what ill tell you, dont worry lol.... the places seem to be more competetive now with people being made redundant etc and turning to teaching however i would say the lecturers are all nice and if you come across as a friendly person that is willing to learn then you should be okay.

Timetable we only get a few weeks before the next term and it varies weekly tbh with ya, this week for example im in thursday for 2 hours but then last week i was in like everyday.

All areas in London, (thats where i live so can only state there) have gangs.... typically underground gangs where idiots just hang around on street corners. The same applies here really you get the odd few idiots on corners asking you for the time etc but i just ignore it. Im running for Site Rep at the moment so will hopefully be in a position of authority/responsibility next year :smile:

Placements we only find out a few weeks in advance and it was brought up in a course consultative meeting that the year 3's werent getting their final placement (after dissertation) til later than some of there other students meaning theyd overall finish later.

Anyone in for interviews i tend to say hi to and tell not to worry. Im like the only full time white male student in all 3 year groups so ya should be able to spot me lol

Good luck!
Reply 29
Hey everyone,
im starting the 3 year primary education course with qts at the tower hamlets on the 20th september :smile:
Would love to meet anyone also going :smile:
or any advice of those already there??
Im so excited!.. But really nervous :O xx
Reply 30
shadow_alexw
Hi everyone, i really should check this more often

There were some first year BA Primary prospective students in last week for interviews who i told what ill tell you, dont worry lol.... the places seem to be more competetive now with people being made redundant etc and turning to teaching however i would say the lecturers are all nice and if you come across as a friendly person that is willing to learn then you should be okay.

Timetable we only get a few weeks before the next term and it varies weekly tbh with ya, this week for example im in thursday for 2 hours but then last week i was in like everyday.

All areas in London, (thats where i live so can only state there) have gangs.... typically underground gangs where idiots just hang around on street corners. The same applies here really you get the odd few idiots on corners asking you for the time etc but i just ignore it. Im running for Site Rep at the moment so will hopefully be in a position of authority/responsibility next year :smile:

Placements we only find out a few weeks in advance and it was brought up in a course consultative meeting that the year 3's werent getting their final placement (after dissertation) til later than some of there other students meaning theyd overall finish later.

Anyone in for interviews i tend to say hi to and tell not to worry. Im like the only full time white male student in all 3 year groups so ya should be able to spot me lol

Good luck!

Hey everyone,
im starting the 3 year primary education course with qts at the tower hamlets on the 20th september
Would love to meet anyone also going
DO NOT APPLY OR EVEN CONSIDER DOING PGCE OR ANY OTHER COURSE HERE

This is a dreadful place and cannot be regarded as a University. I foolishly did my PGCE here and was appauled about the quality of the teaching, the resources and the general tone of the place.
It would seem that this bit of the University is targeting Muslim Women from the local area so it is not multicultural but monocultural and as a white woman who has views I felt very uncomfortable with the whole class wearing the hijab.

The school placements I did were great but tough and they had very little regard for this teacher training college. OFsted report is good but I think it should be closed down immediately
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 32
Having been a former student of the flex mod course, I would advise AGAINST joining this course for the followin reasons:

1. There is very little support and guidance considering this is a distance learning course
2. The administrator Gillian Butt tends to offer very little support- eg. emails unresponded to and a general feeling that you are being an inconvenience to her when asking for BASIC administrative guidance
3. The fact that you get half of the bursary (£2000) at the END of the course which is of course no use when in financial need over the 2 years on the course
4. The fact that it was advertised as a full time course- student finance disagreed and considered it part time and so you DO NOT get full funding despite what the uni says
5. The uni is in massive debt and this is clear in terms of resource provision- eg. copies of the national curriculum not given/photocopied

The teaching is quite good- eg. English; Ed studies- but this course will compromise your ability to be a good teacher in the end as has been feedback from former students.

Just letting you know so you dont waste time moving to london, hoping, expecting like I did.
Reply 33
Hi guys,

I'm interested in applying to study Primary Education with QTS in Sept 2011, jus wondered if you could give me any information or tell me anything about the Uni/Course as I can't find much info on the net in terms of forums, etc.

What is thwe Uni like? Will I get in without any primary school experience? I have lots of youth work experience and run a homework club at my youth club? What is the timetable like?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 34
Hi,
My interview is on the 8th December with the University of Cumbria on primary education course. Could you please give me some advice on how i should prepare for it.

thank you
Reply 35
Original post by kelc25

Hi i am also applying to Cumbria for primary education, have you got a interview yet?
Reply 36
I havent got anything from them yet
Reply 37
To all those students requesting information about the Uni of Cumbria's flexible modular course, please read my previous posts and the one by JJ1982. The level of support from the tutors/admin staff leaves much to be desired (with the exception of Andrew who has since left and Peter who was a real gem). As for the rest, well, I think that they must have been standing at the front of the queue when apathy was being handed out.
Reply 38
EDIT: FROM MY PREVIOUS POST ..
iv got an interview on the 20th Jan at the tower hamlets site for primary education course
Anyone elsee?

x
Reply 39
Original post by GemmaDunn
Hey everyone,
im starting the 3 year primary education course with qts at the tower hamlets on the 20th september
Would love to meet anyone also going

Iv got interview on the 20 Jan for the Primary edu course with QTS at the tower hamlets campus
Got any advicee?
EXCITED BUT NERVOUS TOO ! :O :biggrin:

Thanks in advance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending