Turn on thread page Beta

Cambridge Interviews watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Anyone been invited for interview yet? I got the letter this morning from Pembroke asking me to come to two interviews on the 9th December! ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! I'm really nervous now! lol Anyone else applying to Pembroke?
    Any advice for Cambridge interviews anybody!!!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theblackangel)
    Anyone been invited for interview yet? I got the letter this morning from Pembroke asking me to come to two interviews on the 9th December! ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! I'm really nervous now! lol Anyone else applying to Pembroke?
    Any advice for Cambridge interviews anybody!!!?
    What course did you apply? I applied Christ's and I haven't been told the interview date.

ReputationRep:
    Medicine ;-)

What about you???

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Trinity Hall and have yet to hear anything about the interviews yet =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theblackangel)
    Medicine ;-)

What about you???
    Natural Science

ReputationRep:
    Trinity on the 9th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthew0421)
    Natural Science
    Hi - I'm doing Natural Science at Christ's already (first year). Have you seen the ....er.... 'accommodation'?

Are you a physical or a biological type person?

Ben

ReputationRep:
    Two of my mates have dates. One is at Pembroke (English) on the 12th, the other is at St. John's (SPS) on the 11th. I should hear from Girton soon...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    Hi - I'm doing Natural Science at Christ's already (first year). Have you seen the ....er.... 'accommodation'?

Are you a physical or a biological type person?

Ben
    Hi! What's wrong with the accommodation? I chose " over night accommdation needed" on the reply form.

I applied Physical science, but I didn't fill the spcific subject on the Cambridge application form.

Could you tell me some experience about the interview at Christ's please.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! What's wrong with the accommodation? I chose " over night accommdation needed" on the reply form.

I applied Physical science, but I didn't fill the spcific subject on the Cambridge application form.

Could you tell me some experience about the interview at Christ's please.
    What's wrong with it!?!? I'm typing from inside 'it'. I look up - concrete. I look left - concrete. I turn around - concrete!!! Other colleges appear to have better facilities (based only on what freshers have said) - but it's a good place and everyone settles in and gets to know one-another within a couple of weeks. The interviews for me, because I do biology and not physics, were all on biology! I can tell you that you'll have three of them and that at least two will involve 'problem solving' and the third will be a general 'so, why do you want to come here?' type of affair. Having said that, though, I didn't get one of those general interviews. I live next to physicists and, by the sounds of it, one of your interviewers will present you with some ridiculous formula they've concocted and hand you the 'proof' - they'll be expecting you to tell them that their formula or whatever is a load of crap and explain why (that's the type of thing, anyway - it might not be exactly the same for you). Also, they might get you to check formulae without calculation - dimension analysis - or just pose problems and listen to you work through them logically. Don't worry - it's not partiularly difficult and it's far from formal. I wore jeans and a T-shirt for my interview and the interviewers were really friendly - it sort of eases you nerves when the whole process turns out to be less 'stuffy' then you were expecting.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with it!?!? I'm typing from inside 'it'. I look up - concrete. I look left - concrete. I turn around - concrete!!! Other colleges appear to have better facilities (based only on what freshers have said) - but it's a good place and everyone settles in and gets to know one-another within a couple of weeks. The interviews for me, because I do biology and not physics, were all on biology! I can tell you that you'll have three of them and that at least two will involve 'problem solving' and the third will be a general 'so, why do you want to come here?' type of affair. Having said that, though, I didn't get one of those general interviews. I live next to physicists and, by the sounds of it, one of your interviewers will present you with some ridiculous formula they've concocted and hand you the 'proof' - they'll be expecting you to tell them that their formula or whatever is a load of crap and explain why (that's the type of thing, anyway - it might not be exactly the same for you). Also, they might get you to check formulae without calculation - dimension analysis - or just pose problems and listen to you work through them logically. Don't worry - it's not partiularly difficult and it's far from formal. I wore jeans and a T-shirt for my interview and the interviewers were really friendly - it sort of eases you nerves when the whole process turns out to be less 'stuffy' then you were expecting.

Ben
    I'm applying for biological natsci. What kind of questions were asked in the academic interview? thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    I'm applying for biological natsci. What kind of questions were asked in the academic interview? thanks.
    What college? (I hope you like essays, by the way - I'm supposed to be writing one now!!!). It's generally very easy. I had three academic interviews. The first one was all about genetic abnormalities and defects in stem cells - which problems were caused by what kind of defect in the stem cells (don't worry - I would have fainted if I had been told that beforehand! They take you through it nicely, so your not chucked in at the deep end). Another interview was all on evolution and development - how speciation occurs - different traits conferring different selective advantages on individuals which allow them to become better adapted to new environments. The third one was a bit weird. I had to work through identifying a skull - which turned out to be a dog skull in the end (It's not hard when you work through it and, anyway, it's the process and not necessarilly the end result which concerns the interviewer) - and then to 'answer' directed questions on the functions of some of the bits in the skull (scroll cells in the nasal cavity). I say 'answer' because it wasn't really a question and answer type of arrangement - more of a 'can you think of a possible function for this? what about if this happened?'. Thus concludes the story of my interviews.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Two of my mates have dates. One is at Pembroke (English) on the 12th, the other is at St. John's (SPS) on the 11th. I should hear from Girton soon...
    And I'm not your mate? lol!

ReputationRep:
    What college? (I hope you like essays, by the way - I'm supposed to be writing one now!!!). It's generally very easy. I had three academic interviews. The first one was all about genetic abnormalities and defects in stem cells - which problems were caused by what kind of defect in the stem cells (don't worry - I would have fainted if I had been told that beforehand! They take you through it nicely, so your not chucked in at the deep end). Another interview was all on evolution and development - how speciation occurs - different traits conferring different selective advantages on individuals which allow them to become better adapted to new environments. The third one was a bit weird. I had to work through identifying a skull - which turned out to be a dog skull in the end (It's not hard when you work through it and, anyway, it's the process and not necessarilly the end result which concerns the interviewer) - and then to 'answer' directed questions on the functions of some of the bits in the skull (scroll cells in the nasal cavity). I say 'answer' because it wasn't really a question and answer type of arrangement - more of a 'can you think of a possible function for this? what about if this happened?'. Thus concludes the story of my interviews.

Ben
    Thanks, that sounds encouraging. Ive applied to emmanuel college but I hear the competition is pretty fierce! The stem cell question does sound pretty difficult but I know a reasonable amount on evolution and could have answered the speciation question, if with a bit of prompting. Did you think the interview had gone well and that you would be offered a place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    Thanks, that sounds encouraging. Ive applied to emmanuel college but I hear the competition is pretty fierce! The stem cell question does sound pretty difficult but I know a reasonable amount on evolution and could have answered the speciation question, if with a bit of prompting. Did you think the interview had gone well and that you would be offered a place?
    I knew it hadn't gone badly - but you generally don't know how well it has to go! When one of the interviewers said he liked my personal statement, though - that was a good sign...

Ben

ReputationRep:

Ben

Thanks. Do you remember the date your interviewed. I haven't received any information about my interview date, I'm afraid that I have been rejected. Do you have any idea?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Do you remember the date your interviewed. I haven't received any information about my interview date, I'm afraid that I have been rejected. Do you have any idea?
    I was interviewed on Friday the 13th of December (hmmmm) and they didn't tell me anything for ages - at least, not until the VERY end of November. So don't worry if they haven't given you a date, yet - they will (this happens to everybody).

Ben

ReputationRep:
    i've just got interview date for 11 dec at king's for english. anyone else applying same subject / same college? any advice for interviews?

ReputationRep:
    Pembroke for Computer Science on 8th Dec. Good that they offer free food and free accommodation. I'll make sure that I eat a lot... and take a lot... and sleep a lot... and think a lot...

ReputationRep:
    I thought Christ's was sposed to b pretty???? Concrete's not pretty!!!

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.