This discussion is closed.
Psyche
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
I have interviews on the 11th Dec at Magdalene, Cambridge, and will be staying there the nights before and after.

I'm feeling kinda apprehensive not just about the interviews, but also about staying there for two nights! Is there anyone around here who goes, has been or will be going to Magdalene?? I'd be interested to hear your opinions and experiences. Are the people friendly and approachable? What are meal times like? I can just imagine myself ending up not speaking to anyone, being totally on my own and spending all my time in a corner. I really don't want that to happen! What kind of accommodation do interview candidates get?

I worry too much. Underneath all this apprehensiveness I'm actually really excited! Has anyone else got interviews there over these dates? It'd be great if I knew I was going to be meeting up with someone once there and not the only one thinking like this.

Also, has anyone had any experience with their interview procedure? I have three interviews, is this the norm? Does anyone think that they actually use how you behave during your stay there as part of the interview? I.e. does how you fit in, act, and communicate whilst there affect your chances of getting in? It would seem logical if it did.

Well, I think that's all for the moment. Hope someone can give me some feedback.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well, I don't know that much about Magdelene itself, although the few people I have met from there seem alright.

If it's anything like Clare, they'll probably give the interview candidates really nice accommodation - I have to clear out of my room as soon as term ends so that the interviewees can have it. Don't worry about mealtimes etc - everyone will be in the same boat as you, so just go and say hi to people. Unless you have some really self-obsessed arses who view you as "the competition" (possible, but unlikely), you'll most likely be able to talk to them. I don't think they'd use your social interaction as a basis for offering you a place, although obviously if you get drunk and trash the college they may not take too kindly to it, even if you do give an amazing interview!

Good luck
Adhsur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Hiya nice to meet you!! What subject are you applying for? I'm in the same boat - I have to stay at Clare college on the night of the 11th and I'm absolutely petrified since I'm not very good at approaching people to talk to them normally! Plus it's all a bit new to me being at a university on my own for interviews! Scary...but I suppose kind of exciting! If you want you can get in touch with me...
DanMushMan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Psyche)
I have interviews on the 11th Dec at Magdalene, Cambridge, and will be staying there the nights before and after.

I'm feeling kinda apprehensive not just about the interviews, but also about staying there for two nights! Is there anyone around here who goes, has been or will be going to Magdalene?? I'd be interested to hear your opinions and experiences. Are the people friendly and approachable? What are meal times like? I can just imagine myself ending up not speaking to anyone, being totally on my own and spending all my time in a corner. I really don't want that to happen! What kind of accommodation do interview candidates get?

I worry too much. Underneath all this apprehensiveness I'm actually really excited! Has anyone else got interviews there over these dates? It'd be great if I knew I was going to be meeting up with someone once there and not the only one thinking like this.

Also, has anyone had any experience with their interview procedure? I have three interviews, is this the norm? Does anyone think that they actually use how you behave during your stay there as part of the interview? I.e. does how you fit in, act, and communicate whilst there affect your chances of getting in? It would seem logical if it did.

Well, I think that's all for the moment. Hope someone can give me some feedback.
lo ha, another magdalene prospective student, good choice. I don't think there will be very many undergrads about, tho i'll be probably leaving on the 11th, so am around until then.
What have you applied for? The norm is two or three interviews, usually one 'personal' one and the other(s) are academic-based.
The people are friendly, and I think there will be memebers of the JCR to show people around, make them feel at home etc. My interview accomodation was quite good, they like to give the best rooms out to interview candidates.
As for the meals, haha! Personally I hate the food they serve in Ramsay Hall, and haven't been there since my first term. Compared to the Robinson breakfast which I had today, the food is poor and expensive (tho I think free for you). Don't let me put you off too much, its food at least, you will probably have a good statisitcal chance of not getting food poisoning (if you do then they'll probably have to let you in for fear of a law suit), and meal times are the best times to get to know the other people and undermine their confidence before the interviews.
I got paranoid that people were watching my every move during my stay as some sort of admissions procedure. However, thinking back its highly unlikely that it does. Just have a good time whilst you're here, look around the place etc, and don't stress too much before the interview. Make sure you get a good nights sleep before the interview day, and don't stay out too late (hopefully the student mentors will make sure of that and not drag everyone out to the "clubs" for a late night session......
Feel free to ask any more qs.
Psyche
Thanks for your replies!

(Original post by Helenia)
Don't worry about mealtimes etc - everyone will be in the same boat as you
I think I need to listen more to this kind of advice. So many people have told me not to worry...maybe in a year or so, after I've done all the hard stuff, I'll calm down!

(Original post by Helenia)
although obviously if you get drunk and trash the college they may not take too kindly to it
Oh, damn, there go all my plans!

Adhsur, I'm ssso glad I'm not the only one petrified! Lol! Makes me feel normal. Well, either that or we're both abnormal together. I don't know which is more comforting. How are you getting to Cambridge? I'm having to change in London which is a total pain. I'll probably get lost on the underground, knowing me! Maybe I'll see you there or something. I'm planning to wander around the town a bit, trying to look like I know what I'm doing, before I brave the College. Do you know anyone else who's there around the 11th?

(Original post by DanMushMan)
As for the meals, haha! Personally I hate the food they serve in Ramsay Hall, and haven't been there since my first term
As long as I don't end up with food poisoning, then I'm happy! I'll practically eat anything, so I don't think it'll be a problem. Plus, free food, I'd be mad to complain about that! What are you studying at Cambridge?

And before I forget, I've applied to read Veterinary Medicine. I always manage to leave out something relevant when I post.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
As long as I don't end up with food poisoning, then I'm happy! I'll practically eat anything, so I don't think it'll be a problem. Plus, free food, I'd be mad to complain about that! What are you studying at Cambridge?

And before I forget, I've applied to read Veterinary Medicine. I always manage to leave out something relevant when I post.
I'm a 2nd yr medic. The competition is going to be tough for vet (like you don't know). (and if you don't know I'm at Magdalene).
ShOcKzZ
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I'm a 2nd yr medic. The competition is going to be tough for vet (like you don't know). (and if you don't know I'm at Magdalene).
theres some1 called icarus joining magdalene nxt yr (well i think he will get in no prob)..take care of him as u are a senior.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ShOcKzZ)
theres some1 called icarus joining magdalene nxt yr (well i think he will get in no prob)..take care of him as u are a senior.
well i've already talked to him. Also, your opinion on whether he'll get in or not is pretty irrelevant.
mjf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

I applied last year to Clare to study Veterinary medicine and the com,petition is stiff - there is no denying that...and Clare only had one place - wrong choice!! LOL! There will be questions you cant answer but they are good and will help you along...as its not ebenfit to them if you say nothing the whole time!! Where else have you applied for Vet Med? Have you hearsd anything yet? If you want you can email me [email protected]...oh the vet I have been seeing practice with studied at Magdalen!
ShOcKzZ
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
well i've already talked to him. Also, your opinion on whether he'll get in or not is pretty irrelevant.
and y is it?
Psyche
(Original post by mjf)
I applied last year to Clare to study Veterinary medicine and the com,petition is stiff - there is no denying that...and Clare only had one place - wrong choice!! LOL! There will be questions you cant answer but they are good and will help you along...as its not ebenfit to them if you say nothing the whole time!! Where else have you applied for Vet Med? Have you hearsd anything yet? If you want you can email me [email protected]...oh the vet I have been seeing practice with studied at Magdalen!
You didn't tell me before that you'd applied to Cambridge last year! (Or did you?!) And when I say before I mean in the emails. I'm Abi. Surprise! Lol. I meant to tell you but kinda forgot. Umm, yeah!

What questions did they ask you at Cambridge last year, if you can remember, and don't mind re-living it? I already hate being asked what questions I was asked at the RVC, it's like having to go through it alllll over again.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
and y is it?
because clearly you have no idea what is needed for Cambridge, you don't know the guy well, and saying something like 'well i think he will get in no prob' shows how stupid/ignorant you are.
ShOcKzZ
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
because clearly you have no idea what is needed for Cambridge, you don't know the guy well, and saying something like 'well i think he will get in no prob' shows how stupid/ignorant you are.
wtf,

i think he will get in coz hes hard workin, determined and intelligent and he told me his BMAT went really well, and he already has an interview date and hes estimated aaab.

how can u say im ignorant/stupid? do u even know me?
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
wtf,

i think he will get in coz hes hard workin, determined and intelligent and he told me his BMAT went really well, and he already has an interview date and hes estimated aaab.

how can u say im ignorant/stupid? do u even know me?
because you know him so well? Even if everything you said is true, its not enough, the grades are good but only just about meet the minimum requirements. He doesn't know his BMAT results, you haven't mentioned any extra-c activies or work ex.
From your previous posts I thnk I and everyone else knows everything they need to know about you.
ShOcKzZ
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
and ur training as a doc, im sure u wont get too far with an attitude like that.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
and ur training as a doc, im sure u wont get too far with an attitude like that.
once again, your opinion is absolutely irrelevant.
ShOcKzZ
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
once again, your opinion is absolutely irrelevant.

ok. if u say so.
xinxinlu
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
Hiya nice to meet you!! What subject are you applying for? I'm in the same boat - I have to stay at Clare college on the night of the 11th and I'm absolutely petrified since I'm not very good at approaching people to talk to them normally! Plus it's all a bit new to me being at a university on my own for interviews! Scary...but I suppose kind of exciting! If you want you can get in touch with me...
hi,adhsur. i will stay at clare on 8th and 9th. which subject are u applying for?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by mjf)
I applied last year to Clare to study Veterinary medicine and the com,petition is stiff - there is no denying that...and Clare only had one place - wrong choice!! LOL!
We've got 4 vets in the 1st year at Clare :confused: Although maybe a couple of them had gap years...I'm not sure.
Adhsur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Adhsur, I'm ssso glad I'm not the only one petrified! Lol! Makes me feel normal. Well, either that or we're both abnormal together. I don't know which is more comforting. How are you getting to Cambridge? I'm having to change in London which is a total pain. I'll probably get lost on the underground, knowing me! Maybe I'll see you there or something. I'm planning to wander around the town a bit, trying to look like I know what I'm doing, before I brave the College. Do you know anyone else who's there around the 11th?
Yeah maybe we should meet up!! Do you have msn? I'm getting to cambridge by train...with a friend if he has the same interview date as me, otherwise it's my dad!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (485)
51.82%
No (451)
48.18%

Watched Threads