a-level history or classical civ.?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Scout
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
which is better and wot time in history do u do in both?
Pegasus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Scout)
which is better and wot time in history do u do in both?
In A-level History it depends on what your school/college offers. Some places, like the sixth form I go to give you a choice. The choices we were given were:

Tudor History
20th Century History (Revolution in Russia and Civil Rights in America)
20th Century History (World War II and something else I can't remember)

I'm doing the 2nd option and I'm really enjoying it. I was going to do Classics instead but couldn't because of timetabling. However, now I'm really glad I chose history as some of the topics covered are really interesting. Also A-Level history can be quite diverse, you may be able to do units in the fall and rise of the british empire, cold war etc.

Classics seems pretty interesting too - you cover literature, philosophy, greek architecture.. the list goes on.

I'd say they're both pretty respectable subjects. You might want to check the websites of particular exam boards for more details (http://www.edexcel.org.uk , http://www.aqa.org.uk/ , http://www.ocr.org.uk/ )

What other a-levels are you planning on doing?
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I'm doing GCSE History, much of which is about Hitler/the Nazis etc.

My school does the third option on your list, which also covers Hitler/the Nazis etc.

If I did a degree in History and chose modules on Hitler, who would know more about Hitler, me or his mum?
Pegasus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
I'm doing GCSE History, much of which is about Hitler/the Nazis etc.

My school does the third option on your list, which also covers Hitler/the Nazis etc.

If I did a degree in History and chose modules on Hitler, who would know more about Hitler, me or his mum?
I would never do the Hitler/ Nazi option becuase I studied it at school(even though it was in yr 9) and there seems to be a documantry on about it every time I turn the TV on, a lot of people chose it because that's what they did at GCSE and I just don't understand why they don't just get sick of learning about the same events over and over again. I chose the Russian + American option becuase I'd never studied that period of history before, which I think made it much more interesting.
Minta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I did AS History and A level Class Civ, and in my view there is no question - choose Class Civ! Obviously this is just my personal opinion, but the history modules i covered were comprised entirely of Nazi Germany and British history in the 19th/20th century. These topics were simply not my cup of tea, particularly as i was covering Hitler et al for the third time by the time i started year 12, so by that time i was somewhat sick of the topic.

Class Civ on the other hand was great. The syllabus had plenty of variety - i did Greek and Roman women, the Odyssey and Aristophanes' 'The Frogs' in year 12, and the Aeneid, Greek art and architecture and Plato's 'Last Days of Socrates' in year 13. In addition, although Class Civ provided plenty of scope for thought and intellectual exploration, i didn't find it a painfully demanding subject, so it provided a nice change from English and Pauline Theology! Obviously your experience of any subject will be strongly affected by the specific modules your school offers and how appealing they sound to you, so i'd advise you to check this first before making a definite decision about which one of the two subjects to choose. Good luck
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (71)
12.14%
Virtual campus tours/open days (142)
24.27%
Live streaming events (51)
8.72%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.4%
A uni comparison tool (136)
23.25%
An in-person event when available (130)
22.22%