The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Won't work.
I was born with big strong biceps. Gutted.
5kg dumbells? you must be joking....do you find it difficult to lift them?
if you do find it difficult youll find them as light as paper after a few workouts
Reply 4
yes

but you need to do them with a bosu ball

and scream LIGHTWEIGHT BABY on every rep
Adonis
yes

but you need to do them with a bosu ball

and scream LIGHTWEIGHT BABY on every rep

how much are you curling at the minute.?
Reply 6
Mr_Steve_Stifler
how much are you curling at the minute.?

4.5kg

10lbs HARDCORE BABY
1) Flyes don't even work your biceps they work your chest.

And No 5 KG isn't fit for an ant.
Adonis
4.5kg

10lbs HARDCORE BABY

you gay :wink: :p:
Reply 9
sure you'll respond...only for so long
Reply 10
Ignore these unhelpful ***** How old are you OP?

If hes younger than 14/15, then 5kg is acceptable to start at, but it will be easy within 2 weeks and no more growth can occur, just buy bigger weights if your that serious.

If you wanted to do it bad enough you can find a way to buy it.
The way secret way to build muscle both tone and strength is to use the heaviest possible weights you can preform 1 rep with and maintain the technique. Then take 80% of this weight and use this to preform multiple reps, 3 times a week for 2 months and you will notice the effects
Reply 12
Get some awesome toneage on the go though, if you do ridiculous reps.
Ape Gone Insane
Question 1 )
Just wondering whether if with 2 x 5KG dumbells. Generally working out lifting each weight and stressing the arm repeatedly for half an hour plus doing exercises like Dumbbell Flyes can build big and strong biceps?

No, all it will do is make you better at curling and flying a 5kg dumbbell. 5kg is not very much weight at all, so by average standards you won't build a large amount of muscle and you won't be considered strong at all.

If you want to get bigger and stronger you're going to have to lift progressively heavier weights, have a decent workout regime and have a decent diet.

Ape Gone Insane
Question 2 )
Does someone like that still need to take a day off to rest their muscles and to recover or is it OK to exercise it everyday seeing as there only 5KG...

Muscle tissue is broken down slightly when you exercise, it's when you rest that your muscles get repaired and can potentially grow back bigger. Work out every day working the same muscles and your muscles don't get the time they need to repair and grow, they're persistently getting broken down.

Ape Gone Insane
It's been a week and I've already seen some growth..

I very much doubt that, more likely it's just swelling from increased blood flow to the affected muscles from working them (ie; 'the pump') and/or swelling from the trauma of exercising every day working the same muscles.
Reply 15
Ahmato
Get some awesome toneage on the go though, if you do ridiculous reps.

Die.
Reply 16
unfortunately you will never be strong as you are an ape and not a BEAR. consequently you will never recieve the admiration of the powerbear community and have your efforts go unnoticed. sorry.
Surely you should be progressing slowly, not just jumping to a ridiculous weight you can't manage because some **** on TSR who is probably a skinny little weed told you that he lifts 50kg three times a day.

The fitness chart that came with my dumbells (York btw) said you should find a weight that you can lift relatively easily, and do 12 reps. The up the weight slightly and do 10 reps, and then up it again by about the same amount and do 8 reps, then move onto the next exercise. For me this tends to just be adding another wheel onto the bar each time to increase the weight.
Reply 18
wtf youre training for the shot putt and curl 5kg dbs?! jesus what is your best throw, bet i'd whoop your ass.

that dario guy on youtube trains for that and can powerclean 100kg with one hand and deadlifts like 300kg!
Reply 19
You gotta get the 12kg and do some tricep training since shottput requires a combination of tricep/ shoulder/back and will power

Latest