This discussion is closed.
Steve Pillar
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I am both a parent and a teacher. I have become increasingly concerned about the levels of safety in
my children's school

Firstly the children go swimming with a female teacher. The boys have to change with the general
public and cannot be supervised by her. I feel they are at risk both from members of the public and
from hurting themselves.

Secondly my son is visiting the comp tomorrow. I have received no notification about this apart from
the date being mentioned in the school diary. My son informs me that he has to walk to and from
school that day on his own. I have phoned the school to confirm this and it is correct.They feel
under no obligation to inform me that my child will be out of school unsupervised. I feel that I
should have been informed and should have given permission for my son to be off school premises.

Am I being a neurotic mother here or am I right in being concerned?Can any one give me advice on
where I can find government guidelines on this issue please?

many thanks
Dreamstarr
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 17:38:03 +0100, "Steve Pillar" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>I am both a parent and a teacher. I have become increasingly concerned about the levels of safety[/q1]
[q1]>in my children's school[/q1]

[q1]>Firstly the children go swimming with a female teacher. The boys have to change with the general[/q1]
[q1]>public and cannot be supervised by her. I feel they are at risk both from members of the public and[/q1]
[q1]>from hurting themselves.[/q1]

There are rules that govern the number of adults required to supervise children during
sport/activities of this nature. If there is only one teacher present then I would be asking
questions.

[q1]>Secondly my son is visiting the comp tomorrow. I have received no notification about this apart[/q1]
[q1]>from the date being mentioned in the school diary. My son informs me that he has to walk to and[/q1]
[q1]>from school that day on his own. I have phoned the school to confirm this and it is correct.They[/q1]
[q1]>feel under no obligation to inform me that my child will be out of school unsupervised.[/q1]

On the contrary, certainly under a certain age there is a duty of care during the school time table
and certainly you should be notified of any time that your child is off school property and
unsupervised.

[q1]> I feel that I should have been informed and should have given permission for my son to be off[/q1]
[q1]> school premises.[/q1]

During school hours and after having been accepted under care of the headteacher or agent your child
is the legal responsibility of the head teacher.

[q1]>Am I being a neurotic mother here or am I right in being concerned?Can any one give me advice on[/q1]
[q1]>where I can find government guidelines on this issue please?[/q1]

You are not being neurotic at all. Were I in your circumstances I would be checking with the LEA

Add another 'R' to mail me
Stjohn
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Steve Pillar wrote in message <[email protected]>. ..
[q1]>I am both a parent and a teacher. I have become increasingly concerned about the levels of safety[/q1]
[q1]>in my children's school[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
<snippy snip snip>
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Am I being a neurotic mother here or am I right in being concerned?Can any one give me advice on[/q1]
[q1]>where I can find government guidelines on this issue please?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

For a start, I'd post a hard copy of your concerns to the Headmaster and possibly the LEA/governors.
Letters are very difficult to ignore and will be certain to provoke some sort of reply.

StJohn
Clark
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Steve Pillar wrote:
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I am both a parent and a teacher. I have become increasingly concerned about the levels of safety[/q1]
[q1]> in my children's school[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Firstly the children go swimming with a female teacher. The boys have to change with the general[/q1]
[q1]> public and cannot be supervised by her. I feel they are at risk both from members of the public[/q1]
[q1]> and from hurting themselves.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Secondly my son is visiting the comp tomorrow. I have received no notification about this apart[/q1]
[q1]> from the date being mentioned in the school diary. My son informs me that he has to walk to and[/q1]
[q1]> from school that day on his own. I have phoned the school to confirm this and it is correct.They[/q1]
[q1]> feel under no obligation to inform me that my child will be out of school unsupervised. I feel[/q1]
[q1]> that I should have been informed and should have given permission for my son to be off school[/q1]
[q1]> premises.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Am I being a neurotic mother here or am I right in being concerned?[/q1]

[I write as both a teacher and a parent too. This is just my opinion.]

Not really strong enough to be called 'neurotic', but perhaps a little overprotective? Your son is,
what? ... ten years old? Old enough to go to the swimming baths with school friends and no adults
(except pool attendants), I'd say. Probably old enough to walk to the school by himself too.

However, this is all very much a matter of degree. Children develop at different rates ... and
parents have different notions about what to let their children try at what age. It's important to
give children independence a little at a time ... let him walk home by himself but be at a specific
place to meet him; let him go to the park with his friends but arrange to go pick him up several
time before letting him come home alone too; see him on a bus alone but make sure there's someone
there to pick him up at the right stop to begin with; ... and so on. If you haven't yet started on
the process of giving your son any independence, it may be difficult to jump in straight away ...
but you will have to at some point.

[q1]> Can any one give me advice on where I can find government guidelines on this issue please?[/q1]

'Government guidelines' seems a mite over the top for the case you're describing. But if you're
really concerned (perhaps your child is a bit young for his age?), you might think of arranging to
talk to the teacher (and Head?). They ought to be able to put your mind at rest that they know what
they're doing. If you're still worried after talking to them, you'd perhaps have to consider keeping
your child at home relevant times. But you'd hope it wouldn't come to that, I guess.

In short, I suppose I'm saying that it looks kind of a storm in a teacup from outside, as it were.
We all get worried about what our children are doing at some time or other (I speak from personal
experience on that, at least!) ... but sometimes it's best just to swallow the worry (ditto on
that too!).

Bob
Ian
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Hi Steve A similar situation exists in my school where one teacher takes children to the baths. OK
its not totally satisfactory for anyone but with financial withstraints what can you do!! The
alternative is to cancel the swimming lessons!

Similarly we have unsatisfactory arrangements with the high school. We are going to a tournament
their tomorrow, linked with the Commonwealth Games. Very nice But the high school can not give us
any idea what time the competition will end! We are meeting at the high school at 9 and the
competition could finish at 11 or 3! depending on how well we do. The high school say "Just send the
children home when it is over!" They live in a different world. Naturally we do not plan to do that
we are trying to make other arrangements but... it isn't easy!! As if you do not have enough to
worry about!

Terry

"Steve Pillar" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> I am both a parent and a teacher. I have become increasingly concerned about the levels of safety[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Firstly the children go swimming with a female teacher. The boys have to change with the general[/q1]
[q1]> public and cannot be supervised by her. I feel[/q1]
they
[q1]> are at risk both from members of the public and from hurting themselves.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Secondly my son is visiting the comp tomorrow. I have received no notification about this apart[/q1]
[q1]> from the date being mentioned in the school diary. My son informs me that he has to walk to and[/q1]
[q1]> from school that day[/q1]
on
[q1]> his own. I have phoned the school to confirm this and it is correct.They feel under no obligation[/q1]
[q1]> to inform me that my child will be out of school unsupervised. I feel that I should have been[/q1]
[q1]> informed and should have[/q1]
given
[q1]> permission for my son to be off school premises.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Am I being a neurotic mother here or am I right in being concerned?Can any one give me advice on[/q1]
[q1]> where I can find government guidelines on this issue please?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> many thanks[/q1]
*Ace*
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Hi Dreamstarr,

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 17:15:31 +0100, in uk.education.teachers Dreamstarr put fingers to keyboard and
tapped away writing...

Message ID:- <[email protected] >

[q1]> On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 17:38:03 +0100, "Steve Pillar" <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >I am both a parent and a teacher. I have become increasingly concerned about the levels of safety[/q2]
[q2]> >in my children's school[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >Firstly the children go swimming with a female teacher. The boys have to change with the general[/q2]
[q2]> >public and cannot be supervised by her. I feel they are at risk both from members of the public[/q2]
[q2]> >and from hurting themselves.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> There are rules that govern the number of adults required to supervise children during[/q1]
[q1]> sport/activities of this nature. If there is only one teacher present then I would be asking[/q1]
[q1]> questions.[/q1]

One teacher from the school certainly is sufficient if there are qualified instructors present. For
schools which have swimming pools on site one teacher can easily manage a class.

[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >Secondly my son is visiting the comp tomorrow. I have received no notification about this apart[/q2]
[q2]> >from the date being mentioned in the school diary. My son informs me that he has to walk to and[/q2]
[q2]> >from school that day on his own. I have phoned the school to confirm this and it is correct.They[/q2]
[q2]> >feel under no obligation to inform me that my child will be out of school unsupervised.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> On the contrary, certainly under a certain age there is a duty of care during the school time[/q1]
[q1]> table and certainly you should be notified of any time that your child is off school property and[/q1]
[q1]> unsupervised.[/q1]

She probably signed a blanket agreement for free local trips when her child joined the school. It is
the responsibility of the mother to see that her child gets to their destination safely, unless the
child is being taken out of school and to another one.

[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> > I feel that I should have been informed and should have given permission for my son to be off[/q2]
[q2]> > school premises.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> During school hours and after having been accepted under care of the headteacher or agent your[/q1]
[q1]> child is the legal responsibility of the head teacher.[/q1]

The parent still has to give consent. However, consent was probably given years ago. Possibly the
child has turned the letter informing the parent into a paper dart.

[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >Am I being a neurotic mother here or am I right in being concerned?Can any one give me advice on[/q2]
[q2]> >where I can find government guidelines on this issue please?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> You are not being neurotic at all. Were I in your circumstances I would be checking with the LEA[/q1]

I wouldn't bother. I'd just give the child some space and trust the school.

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Add another 'R' to mail me[/q1]

Best wishes, Ace

==============================

Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide, Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit To his
full height. On, on, you noblest English.
Slieber24
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
In article <[email protected] >, Dreamstarr <[email protected]> writes:

[q2]>>I am both a parent and a teacher. I have become increasingly concerned about the levels of safety[/q2]
[q2]>>in my children's school[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]>>Firstly the children go swimming with a female teacher. The boys have to change with the general[/q2]
[q2]>>public and cannot be supervised by her. I feel they are at risk both from members of the public[/q2]
[q2]>>and from hurting themselves.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>There are rules that govern the number of adults required to supervise children during[/q1]
[q1]>sport/activities of this nature. If there is only one teacher present then I would be asking[/q1]
[q1]>questions.[/q1]

What if there are only 10 pupils? We had one teacher per class, plus the swimming instructors. In my
last school, we had three teachers and three LSAs on site, but only 1 teacher in each area to
supervise, because the experts were there - the ones who are trained in water safety.

----------------------------------------------------
Sandi

Remove NoSpam to reply.
Dreamstarr
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On 25 Jun 2002 19:56:20 GMT, [email protected] (SLieber24) wrote:

[q1]>In article <[email protected] >, Dreamstarr <[email protected]> writes:[/q1]

[q3]>>>I am both a parent and a teacher. I have become increasingly concerned about the levels of safety[/q3]
[q3]>>>in my children's school[/q3]

[q3]>>>Firstly the children go swimming with a female teacher. The boys have to change with the general[/q3]
[q3]>>>public and cannot be supervised by her. I feel they are at risk both from members of the public[/q3]
[q3]>>>and from hurting themselves.[/q3]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>>There are rules that govern the number of adults required to supervise children during[/q2]
[q2]>>sport/activities of this nature. If there is only one teacher present then I would be asking[/q2]
[q2]>>questions.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>What if there are only 10 pupils? We had one teacher per class, plus the swimming instructors. In[/q1]
[q1]>my last school, we had three teachers and three LSAs on site, but only 1 teacher in each area to[/q1]
[q1]>supervise, because the experts were there - the ones who are trained in water safety.[/q1]

That might be ok, I do not know what the exact wording is I am only aware of the existence of the
regulation. The LEA will have the precise detail. Add another 'R' to mail me
John Griffiths
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Steve Pillar" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> public and cannot be supervised by her. I feel[/q1]
they
[q1]> are at risk both from members of the public and from hurting themselves. Secondly my son is[/q1]
[q1]> visiting the comp tomorrow. I have received no notification about this apart from the date being[/q1]
[q1]> mentioned in the school diary. My son informs me that he has to walk to and from school that day[/q1]
on
[q1]> his own. I have phoned the school to confirm this and it is correct.They feel under no obligation[/q1]
[q1]> to inform me that my child will be out of school unsupervised. I feel that I should have been[/q1]
[q1]> informed and should have[/q1]
given
[q1]> permission for my son to be off school premises.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Am I being a neurotic mother here or am I right in being concerned?Can any one give me advice on[/q1]
[q1]> where I can find government guidelines on this issue please?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> many thanks[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

You have to let them go sometime! Its a real worry when the press is so full of scare stories but
the actual instances of injury or worse in these circumstances is minuscule, compared to the skills,
enjoyment and sense of independence your son will be getting.

I don't know who said it (probably some cheesy film I saw) but I think its true nevertheless "Sooner
or later you have to let them go and hope to God you've raised them right".

Good Luck

John
Martin Nicholso
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]>For a start, I'd post a hard copy of your concerns to the Headmaster and possibly the[/q1]
[q1]>LEA/governors. Letters are very difficult to ignore and will be certain to provoke some sort[/q1]
[q1]>of reply.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

I only wish this was true! My daughter wrote to a school asking them to re-consider their refusal to
pay interview expenses - they didn't bother to reply.

Martin Nicholson, Daventry, UK

International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Centre - Observatory Code 456
http://www.gcse-ict.info/astronomy/front.htm

Does anybody really believe that Princess Diana was buried on that island?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I found a couple of websites for ALL parents to read:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...641981,00.html

http://www.mumsnet.com/onlinechats/livechat07.html

I have been searching for advice, as my ex-wife (who doesn't usually bother with the kids) has claimed that her solicitor said that my 10 year old isn't allowed to walk to or from school alone at any time, I honestly believe that 'cotton-wooling' children is not only bad for the kids, but bad for society as well.

BTW... if you write to the school, put a stamped addressed envelope in with the letter, and at the bottom of the letter write
Included in this letter is an SAE for your reply, please note that the stamp and envelope remain My property unless a reply is sent!
photocopy the letter
wait for a reasonable time (allow 28 days maximum)

if they still dont reply then send an invoice for the stamp and envelope (not forgetting to add administration cahrges too) and another copy of the letter to the school (its just plain rude not to reply !)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (209)
33.49%
No (415)
66.51%

Watched Threads