This discussion is closed.
PRIVATESKLGIRL
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
I just want to express my opinon on what i read in the newspaper.. which is all Alevel students startint from next September will receive 30 pounds a week.

Good huh

But no! not ALL alevel students like it says! it those who dont go to public/private schools such as Eton, Stowe, Taunton, Crainleigh, etc. Im an Alevel student i go to Wellington School which is a private school where were paying 4500 pounds a term.

Not only do we already pay for those who dont go to priavte school to have an education but now were paying them to get extra money? do you really feel thats fair?

If they get extra money per week which means are parents have to work double hard to pay off higher taxes!
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
BS, I am sick of this farce. £30? I would support this, only to those students who show potential, dont want random people grabbing my money to spend on drugs and booze.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
As the IMF I strongly urge you to reconsider
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The £30 a week is called EMA (Education Maintenance Allowance), piloted in my area of Tower Hamlets. It provides help for those in further education if their household gets a low income. The higher the income of the household, the lower the weekly sum (which means I am eligible to get precisely nought). Plenty of my mates are on it and it's really helped them. And why should those in private schools get it since they can pay to go to private schools?
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
The £30 a week is called EMA (Education Maintenance Allowance), piloted in my area of Tower Hamlets. It provides help for those in further education if their household gets a low income. The higher the income of the household, the lower the weekly sum (which means I am eligible to get precisely nought). Plenty of my mates are on it and it's really helped them. And why should those in private schools get it since they can pay to go to private schools?

ONLY TO THOSE WHO SHOW POTENTIAL!!!!!

Not to all the random people who just take the money and do nothing.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
And why should those in private schools get it since they can pay to go to private schools?
I'm not sure- one of my friends was on a scholarship at my old school, but still ended up leaving because she would get more money by attending the local college. It's seems kind of stupid that she had to leave the private school which she wasn't paying for anyway to get this grant.

lou xxx
BABYGUY
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
My mum is on benefit and is unemployed. I attend a local 6th form at school, and we recieve £30 every week and it sits happily in my bank account, and i am entitled to it every week, without doing anything for it. what do you think? do you think its fair? because obviously, i am not wealthy therefore i walk round with shoes on wearing tracky bottoms and a hoodie, and i talk like a right scrutter and i act well hard, and i am on hooked on booze and drugs and i did crap at GCSE's..........yet i get £30 a week!!!!! Fair?

Or how about: I got 6A*'s and 5 A's at GCSE, and i recieved certified awards from my school for excellent marks in specific subjects, aswell as getting highest grades in year for boys. do i deserve my £30 then, considering my mum recieves benefit?
kyuuki
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
darn, next septembre? that sucks, cud drink well on 30 quid a week,
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
ONLY TO THOSE WHO SHOW POTENTIAL!!!!!

Not to all the random people who just take the money and do nothing.
Well payment is based on attendance, i.e. if you miss one lesson you get zilch. I suppose it's a positive reinforcement to all to pursue study, rather than a reward for potential. EMA is to financially maintain a student while in education, to allow them to realise whatever potential they might have, rather than to reward such potential...
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Ahh, do you have potential though? Are you going to college to get the money or to study hard to get out of the conditions you are in?

And anyway, if you are so depraved, why do you have a computer?
kyuuki
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
what are the bounries for getting this money?
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Ahh, do you have potential though? Are you going to college to get the money or to study hard to get out of the conditions you are in?

And anyway, if you are so depraved, why do you have a computer?
I didn't mean me, I don't get it! I have AABB at AS-Level. First question answered. My dad is a millionaire so there's no way I would even consider EMA.
BABYGUY
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It isnt from next september, it started this term, coz people such as myself are entitled to it. the maximum maintenance allowed is £30 a week, however this is less depending on what your parents earn. if your parent(S) is on benefit, you get the max. then from there on, the more they earn, the less they get, and if they earn a certain amount per annum, then you are entitled to nothing.

Maybe this sep 2004 thing is talking about all people being entitled to the full £30 a week, not just those on benefit, WHO ARE MOST LIKELY UNDESERVING WASTES WHO FAILED GCSE'S AND JUST DO 1 A-LEVEL IN ORDER TO RAKE IN £30 A WEEK FOR BOOZE AND **** AND DRUGS.
BABYGUY
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well do you think i deserve it then?
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I didn't mean me, I don't get it! I have AABB at AS-Level. First question answered. My dad is a millionaire so there's no way I would even consider EMA.
Wasnt referring to u mate.
Nice! What does having a dad as a millionare entitles u to? Just want to know what happens in a millionaire's home. (strictly IMF business)
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by BABYGUY)
Well do you think i deserve it then?
Tell me your condition first.
PRIVATESKLGIRL
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
I just dont agree that people get this money. yes some students may work there arses off for the money but thats not the point. Its not because im a selfish student but its just, not all rich kids get money from parents but have to work and get a job to get there money and i just dont see why everyone cant do that?
we go to private schools because our parents for it not because us as students have the money. I know alot of peole
who are getting this money and spend it on alot of crap! so i really dont see the pointin them getting it but they still are.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Wasnt referring to u mate.
Nice! What does having a dad as a millionare entitles u to? Just want to know what happens in a millionaire's home. (strictly IMF business)
Hmmph he earns like upper class and spends like working class! Nah we do enjoy luxuries, and he is able to send me to any university provided I get in. But I would still take out a student loan to help me rather than always asking him for some dough, I want to learn how to scrimp, save and manage my money better. At least he taught me that money doesn't grow on trees so I'm not spoilt.
BABYGUY
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Fair Enough, But If A Child Who Had Parent On Benefit, Yet Got 6 A*'s And 5 A's At Gcse And Got Certified Awards For Excellent Performance In 2 Subjects, And Highest Boys Grades/Marks In Year For Gcse Results, Then Would You Say Its A Worthy Investment?
Why Would I (or someone similar) Not Deserve It?

I Agree thats its scandolous If A Wastral Got It After Faling Gcse's And Just Going To Sixth Form To Get The 30 Quid, But Why Dont I Deserve It?
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by BABYGUY)
Fair Enough, But If A Child Who Had Parent On Benfit, Yet Got 6 A*'s And 5 A's At Gcse And Got Certified Awards For Excellent Performance In 2 Subjects, And Highest Boys Grades In Year For Gcse Results, Then Would You Say Its A Worth Investment?
Why Would I (or He) Not Deserve It?

I Agree If A Wastral Got It After Faling Gcse's And Just Going To Sixth Form To Get The 30 Quid, But Why Dont I Deserve It?

The child u first described i would fully support. Because he can go up and get a good degree and get a job etc etc and pay taxes. However wasting £30 on druggies and boozers are notr eally good ways of promoting education
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (71)
12.14%
Virtual campus tours/open days (142)
24.27%
Live streaming events (51)
8.72%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.4%
A uni comparison tool (136)
23.25%
An in-person event when available (130)
22.22%