Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PRIVATESKLGIRL)
    I just dont agree that people get this money. yes some students may work there arses off for the money but thats not the point. Its not because im a selfish student but its just, not all rich kids get money from parents but have to work and get a job to get there money and i just dont see why everyone cant do that?
    we go to private schools because our parents for it not because us as students have the money. I know alot of peole
    who are getting this money and spend it on alot of crap! so i really dont see the pointin them getting it but they still are.
    Well a lot of EMA recepients are actually quite serious about their education and realise the future worth of it. A lot of my mates on EMA have/had weekend jobs. Many people are disadvantaged financially in life and when it comes to further education, and EMA is levelling the field.
    And for those working to fund their study, I would stop complaining and instead feel proud that I'm paying my own way and have a cerain degree of financial independence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BABYGUY)
    Fair Enough, But If A Child Who Had Parent On Benfit, Yet Got 6 A*'s And 5 A's At Gcse And Got Certified Awards For Excellent Performance In 2 Subjects, And Highest Boys Grades In Year For Gcse Results, Then Would You Say Its A Worth Investment?
    Why Would I (or He) Not Deserve It?

I Agree If A Wastral Got It After Faling Gcse's And Just Going To Sixth Form To Get The 30 Quid, But Why Dont I Deserve It?
    Do you need the financial benefit if it goes straight into the bank account? Is the reward of the qualifications obtained not enough in itself to persudae you to work? People should not be paid to work/go to school because anyone who is thinking long term will not need a financial incentive to realise that studying will in the end be beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    just because you get good grades and certificates and so fought doesnt mean your more of a better person then those who got bad grades. Dont you personally think you should get a job if you want money?? Anyone could work hard, get good grades! yes you worked hard but doesnt mean you can get money for working hard. I just feel if you want money you should earn it. and not just get it off the government which really is money of us people.

ReputationRep:
    Not only do we already pay for those who dont go to priavte school to have an education but now were paying them to get extra money? do you really feel thats fair?!
    Yeah, I think it's fair.

Private School kids = are looked after by your school
    Public School kids = are looked after by the government

If you hate it so much then go to a public school.

ReputationRep:
    I agree totally. i am the first child described, i am giving myself as an example coz my mum is on benefit and i dont live with my dad because he beat me up when i was about 3 years old, and those were my grades and certificates. but all i am saying is, that why dont they have a system whereby if your grades are decent, then they pay you an allowance if your parents dont earn much i.e.) my mum is on benefit, and if the grades are toilet, then you dont get an allowance. (even if parents are on benefit/earns low amount per annum)

Why Not do the following system for parents who are on benefit or who dont earn much per annum, up to the specified amount where the child isnt entitled to any money:

All A's Or Above: £30 or less (depending on what parents earn)
    All B's Or Above £25 or less (depending on what parents earn)
    All C's Or Above £20 or less (depending on what parents earn)
    5 C Grades Or Above £15 or less (depending on what parents earn)

would that be fair?

ReputationRep:
    since when did i say i hate going to a private school?
    what are you saying i hate?
    my point im trying to make is students who are getting this money shoudl work for it and not just get it like that..

ReputationRep:
    just because you get good grades and certificates and so fought doesnt mean your more of a better person then those who got bad grades. Dont you personally think you should get a job if you want money?? Anyone could work hard, get good grades! yes you worked hard but doesnt mean you can get money for working hard. I just feel if you want money you should earn it. and not just get it off the government which really is money of us people.
    Well they aren't saying "earn the money", they're saying, "if you want to go on to further education but are hampered financially, we can help so you can get educated". The government should get its money back from the economic growth caused by the better skilled labour force. So your taxes are for a worthy cause.

ReputationRep:
    I agree totally. i am the first child described, i am giving myself as an example coz my mum is on benefit and i dont live with my dad because he beat me up when i was about 3 years old, and those were my grades and certificates. but all i am saying is, that why dont they have a system whereby if your grades are decent, then they pay you an allowance if your parents dont earn much i.e.) my mum is on benefit, and if the grades are toilet, then you dont get an allowance. (even if parents are on benefit/earns low amount per annum)

Why Not do the following system for parents who are on benefit or who dont earn much per annum, up to the specified amount where the child isnt entitled to any money:

would that be fair?
    IN REALIty no.

This is beacuse I know a couple of people who try their damned hardest but their best is like C's. Yet some dont even try and get A's.

ReputationRep:

would that be fair?
    This does not take into account someone who has tried their hardest and achieved 10C's compared to someone naturally gifted messing about and still achieving higher grades and receiving more money. I agree with benefits for parents but for students.... Students who either don't have much money or don't get much from their parents usually go out an get a job.

ReputationRep:
    It G0es To My Bank Account Because That Is The Only Method Of Payment, I Dont Get It In Any Other Form. That Money Goes Towards My Lunch , Stationery, Books, Bus Fare (yes, The Thing Called A Bus, Its Not Quite A Cosy Merc With Leather Seats) And For Other Education Related Expenses. Why Am I Not Entitled To This? My Mum Is On Benefit, Yet I Worked Hard And Have Helped The Reputation Of My School, Havent I? Why Dont I Deserve It?

ReputationRep:
    but the thing is it doesnt work that way

i know a student who got d's and is receiving this 30pound money?! fair?

ReputationRep:
    It G0es To My Bank Account Because That Is The Only Method Of Payment, I Dont Get It In Any Other Form. That Money Goes Towards My Lunch , Stationery, Books, Bus Fare (yes, The Thing Called A Bus, Its Not Quite A Cosy Merc With Leather Seats) And For Other Education Related Expenses. Why Am I Not Entitled To This? My Mum Is On Benefit, Yet I Worked Hard And Have Helped The Reputation Of My School, Havent I? Why Dont I Deserve It?
    Why do you type in capital letters all the time?

ReputationRep:
    My point being that parents should be helped with benefits, grants, etc and these should be used to pay for all those things you have mentioned. It shouldn't be left to the student to decide what the money is to be spent on.

ReputationRep:
    exactly, that is my damn friggin point. i am saying that why dont they have a system where those who get good grades yet parents are on low income, get a fair allowance per week to help them with their education.
    i agree with you about the retards who fail, then do 1 AVCE course at a 6th form, and rake in £30 a week after U Grades at GCSE!

i got 6 A*'s and 5 A's at GCSE, 2 Special Award certificates for my results presented at a senior prize evening event, and i have started AS levels, doing Mathematics, Physics, Economics, Computing and General Studies, and my school are going to recommend me to Oxford.

However, a bum at my school did not get a single C Grade at GCSE, he spends his time wasting it on hanging around with rough mates, ****, booze and what else havoc..., yet coz of the £30 quid, he went back into 6th form and begged and was allowed to do bloody AVCE Leisure and Tourism, thats it!!

Yet he gets just as much as I do! See the difference!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarco)
    My point being that parents should be helped with benefits, grants, etc and these should be used to pay for all those things you have mentioned. It shouldn't be left to the student to decide what the money is to be spent on.
    There are evil parents out there who would spend it on themselves or otherwise withhold it from the ones who need it (or spend it for something other than the reason it's being paid). If the student wants to be stupid about spending it then they will be duly punished for it when their crap grades come out and they realise how much time they wasted and the implications for their future. Obviously if you're intelligent in school you're likely to be clever about your money so that's not really an issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarco)
    mmm.....thing is, the benefit payments to people are of a standardised rate, depending on number of kids you have etc.........the EMA is an extra supplement for those in education after 16, as many children of parents who are unemployed dont do a-levels. thats the point of it.

ReputationRep:
    Dont think about him. You have the money, try and live your life. You never know the person who u say is stupid, might just with the funding become suddenly wanting to study.

ReputationRep:
    £30 is nothing in this world to some and everything to others.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    £30 is nothing in this world to some and everything to others.

love Katy ***
    That is profound. The IMF is moved, and wants to open its doors to the poor.

ReputationRep:
    but i deserve the £30 more than a bum who got U grades at GCSE, and begged to go back into 6th form, just to do AVCE Lesiure & Tourism, to fail it in 2 year time anywayz.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 24, 2003
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.