This discussion is closed.
PRIVATESKLGIRL
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
recommending you to oxford hey?!
good luck..
a friend of mine got STRAIGHT a* in Gcse and got AAB at Alevel and still couldnt get in. oh wait he was our head boy at school, a 1st Rugby and Hockey player. Also 1st for squash and played for the county. But no he still couldnt get in.

30pound is nothing but people do spend it on complete crap and if there is a system on who get good grades etc can get the money i think thats stupid, the whole idea of giving the money out is quite stupid.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by BABYGUY)
but i deserve the £30 more than a bum who got U grades at GCSE, and begged to go back into 6th form, just to do AVCE Lesiure & Tourism, to fail it in 2 year time anywayz.
You're just lucky that personality has nothing to do with the EMA criteria...
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by PRIVATESKLGIRL)
recommending you to oxford hey?!
good luck..
a friend of mine got STRAIGHT a* in Gcse and got AAB at Alevel and still couldnt get in.

30pound is nothing but people do spend it on complete crap and if there is a system on who get good grades etc can get the money i think thats stupid, the whole idea of giving the money out is quite stupid.

The government might as well sort out the system from the bottom down, ie even if they provided the best secondary school, if the people coming up from primary is bad then all is wasted. My suggestion, improve the NHS (and save somebody's life rather than provide someone with booze) or improve the primary school
PRIVATESKLGIRL
Rep:
?
exactly thats the point, why spend it on students when they could be spending it on better uses such as hospitals etc and saving peoples lifes!!!
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
exactly thats the point, why spend it on students when they could be spending it on better uses such as hospitals etc and saving peoples lifes!!!

I agree. i think we have the thread licked for good.
BABYGUY
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
because spending it on education means that they can help people become top doctors and nurses, which will save lives and improve the NHS as a whole in the long term, which is what labour wants.raise education standards.....and have people like me go to Oxford.

AND YES, I WILL BE PERSONALLY RECOMMENDED BY MY SCHOOL TO GO TO OXFORD UNIVERSITY, I DIDNT SAY I AM IN, I SAID MY SCHOOL ARE RECCOMMENDING ME. THAT IS THEIR CHOICE, AND I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF YOU STOPPED PUTTING ME DOWN. MY SCHOOL OBVIOUSLY FEEL THAT I AM WORTH IT, SO THEY DECIDED TO PERSONALLY RECCOMMEND ME. WHATS WRONG WITH THAT?
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Maybe because some of those students might be saving lives in future...

The burden on thee NHS should be removed by controlling the expenditure of the working class, the majority of whom spend it on booze and **** because life's so depressing. These people get the heart, lung and liver problems that we have to pay for, why? It's their own fault! (I am dead against tobacco and binge-drinking by the way).

But I know I'd rather see my taxes pay for one potentially brilliant stduent and 10 delinquents to get further education, than deny the one good student a chance to a good education.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
because spending it on education means that they can help people become top doctors and nurses, which will save lives and improve the NHS as a whole in the long term, which is what labour wants.raise education standards.....and have people like me go to Oxford.

AND YES, I WILL BE PERSONALLY RECOMMENDED BY MY SCHOOL TO GO TO OXFORD UNIVERSITY, I DIDNT SAY I AM IN, I SAID MY SCHOOL ARE RECCOMMENDING ME. THAT IS THEIR CHOICE, AND I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF YOU STOPPED PUTTING ME DOWN. MY SCHOOL OBVIOUSLY FEEL THAT I AM WORTH IT, SO THEY DECIDED TO PERSONALLY RECCOMMEND ME. WHATS WRONG WITH THAT?

Dont the governmet realise that if they dont improve the NHS noone actually want to work there? As up to 40% of medics leave Uk to go to other better paid places (USA) within 5 years of graduation. This is ebacuse in america u like have to pay £20,000 per year for such education, whereas u get it cheap here.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Maybe this sep 2004 thing is talking about all people being entitled to the full £30 a week, not just those on benefit, WHO ARE MOST LIKELY UNDESERVING WASTES WHO FAILED GCSE'S AND JUST DO 1 A-LEVEL IN ORDER TO RAKE IN £30 A WEEK FOR BOOZE AND **** AND DRUGS.
You can't get it if you only do one A-Level - you need to have a certain amount of hours per week before they'll let you claim it, and you do have to go to your classes and show satisfactory performance, or the teachers won't sign off your sheet for you to have it. I worked in an FE college in my gap year, in one of the pilot areas for the scheme, and I think it is a good idea - to encourage more people into FE, and to ensure those that do go attend reasonably and so on.

You miss the point about giving people with good grades more money. The people with good grades are likely to stay on anyway; the scheme is designed to encourage more people to stay on in education after 16 and ideally get some more qualifications which will help them later in life. Slightly idealistic, but the point of the scheme is not just to pay people who get good grades.

Personal recommendation of your school means nothing.
Adhsur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
You can't get it if you only do one A-Level - you need to have a certain amount of hours per week before they'll let you claim it, and you do have to go to your classes and show satisfactory performance, or the teachers won't sign off your sheet for you to have it. I worked in an FE college in my gap year, in one of the pilot areas for the scheme, and I think it is a good idea - to encourage more people into FE, and to ensure those that do go attend reasonably and so on.

You miss the point about giving people with good grades more money. The people with good grades are likely to stay on anyway; the scheme is designed to encourage more people to stay on in education after 16 and ideally get some more qualifications which will help them later in life. Slightly idealistic, but the point of the scheme is not just to pay people who get good grades.

Personal recommendation of your school means nothing.
I absolutely agree. I get £30 a week EMA, and there are a lot of conditions I have to satisfy to get it.

It is essentially designed to keep people in education and not be in a rush to get jobs (using that as an excuse for not staying in school). It's a shame that you have to pay people to make them study, but that's the only way many students are motivated, sad though it sounds.
PRIVATESKLGIRL
Rep:
?
I just dont think we should be spending money on getting people to go to school and if they dont get an education when there older then its not really our fault because there the one who couldnt be bothered to go and get an education.
and if we stopped students getting this 30 quid theres still going to be people out there who can go and get a good qualification to be a doctor.. we do have people at schools such as stowe, eton, Taunton, Milfield, Wellington, charterhouse, Cranleigh, Queens, etc. Yes you may say im a stuck up cow. but i just think things could be spent on hospitals etc.
and the students who are motivated enough will go to school still and they can get a job like everyone else to pay for books etc.
brasil85
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
You right with that. If you don't work for it then you should not get it.
brasil85
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
You right with that. If you don't work for it then you should not get it. Its blackmail
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
That's the thing though - they do have to work, or they don't get any money.
brasil85
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Priavteschoolgirl is right she has some good ideas
fausty
Report 17 years ago
I go to a private school and i agree the system sucks, but did you know that some councils offer post-16 students a grant, it's called the school access fund, cos my parents earn over a certain amount i only get a lump sum of £25 but every penny counts! Disadvantaged students get more money with a means test.

I am not sure how well the system is spread but i live in leicestershire and they offer it there, strangely if you live actually in leicester u cannot apply! weird!
brasil85
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I don't anything. my father worked in the middle east so I could not geta penny.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (268)
51.74%
No (250)
48.26%

Watched Threads