Turn on thread page Beta

I've applied to Cambridge and if I don't get in I am going to the press! watch

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to Cambridge and if I don't get in I am going to the press! No, I really am. I am predicted 4 A's and i'll almost certainly attain them, and not only that but I reckon i'll get the top 10 best scores in the country on some papers. If I don't get in then me and my family have already decided that we will complain publicly and even seek legal advice (we were discussing it earlier). The only reason they could reject me is because I am from a working class background. And if that is the case, then that would be discrimination and a lawyer will be consulted.

Also, I am thinking of warning the interviewer that if I don't get accepted, then I will be complaining and seeking legal advice, during the interview. Do you think I should? This would probably make them think twice before rejecting me on the grounds of social class. Is this a good idea? We think it probably would be.

ReputationRep:
    I like your confidence, but somehow I don't think Cambridge like arrogance though....if you didn't get in, you'd deserve it. You reap what you sow

ReputationRep:
    ur inteligent..... so what?....... you want me to bend over for u or summut?

ReputationRep:
    So if you don't get in you would put it down to your background. What a copout. Maybe it's because you showed too much ignorant arrogance, had complete disrespect for the system, and assumed that you would get in because of your grades with disregard to the other aspects of the selction procedure.
    I can only repeat what Rush said.

ReputationRep:
    What's with the made up post to make people post their strong opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kyuuki)
    Are you George Bush?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Are you George Bush?
    well.... you se the thing is tha..... *door slams, and hears tiny patter of my feet running away.

ReputationRep:

Er no thanks. :eek: :rolleyes:

No, I was just wondering whether it is a good idea to issue the threat during the interview.

I think it might be a good idea personally, because then they can't reject me at all. They would be too scared too, due to the legal and tabloid threat bringing down Cambridge university's name. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Grade Student)

No, I was just wondering whether it is a good idea to issue the threat during the interview.

I think it might be a good idea personally, because then they can't reject me at all. They would be too scared too, due to the legal and tabloid threat bringing down Cambridge university's name. What do you think?
    You actually say you're intelligent? That's one of the daftest things I've ever heard.

ReputationRep:
    well.... you se the thing is tha..... *door slams, and hears tiny patter of my feet running away.
    <gasps> He's getting away!!! Kameeneeeeeeeeeee!!!

ReputationRep:
    This has to be one of the funniest posts i've read in a long time, and for your sake i hope you're not serious. I'd like to make several points in relation to your claims:

1) Practically everyone applying to Cambridge will have/ be predicted to achieve 4 As, so these grades alone are therefore not going to get you accepted. Also, your expected A level grades are purely speculatory at this point, and are thus phantom predicted grades which carry no actual weight

2) You say that Cambridge have no grounds for rejecting you other than your social class; be that as it may, but your claim that rejection would be 'discrimination' applies to all Cambridge applicants who are subsequently rejected. The selection process has to be discriminatory in order to whittle down the numbers!

3) I can scarcely think of anything more certain to result in you being rejected than threatening the interviewer with legal action should this unfortunate circumstance arise

ReputationRep:

Well it is their university, and because of the prestige associated with it, they can choose anybody they want. It will be difficult to prove that they discrimated against you. I mean really, come on, get real, how many stories have you heard that the applicant was suing a university cause of their class? Get real.

ReputationRep:

I beg you to make the threat so that they reject you, with that sort of attitude you should have an injunction placed on you so you study in the University of East London or something...

ReputationRep:
    a grade student, the tablods ud rip u apart, wud u want to be on every newspaper with the ttle, he got rejected from cambridge because of his aragance? to be honest with u i dun think the story would run, its not exactly interesting news.

ReputationRep:
    Incidently, what course are you applying for, if at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Incidently, what course are you applying for, if at all?
    Probably not Philosophy if he thinks like that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Probably not Philosophy if he thinks like that...
    In fact, if he was my competition for philosophy, I'd regard that as quite encouraging. lol.

ReputationRep:
    *thinks to himself, grrrrr damn philosophy, thorn in my side.

ReputationRep:
    I hope you do get in A Grade Student, good luck! I admire you confidence.

ReputationRep:
    *thinks to himself, grrrrr damn philosophy, thorn in my side.
    :eek: I'll pretend I didn't hear that.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2003
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.