Turn on thread page Beta

I've applied to Cambridge and if I don't get in I am going to the press! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Yes thats what i was getting at.

"Cheers bud , thanks that mission was really doing my head in."

Listen to this, this was what was posted by him in the xbox GTA3 thread. Is this the sound of a depraved child who he makes himself out to be?

U is poor? so what? I is poor, as well but i deal with it.
    And what would a Cambridge applicant want with an X-Box?

<gasps> The IMF is poor?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    And what would a Cambridge applicant want with an X-Box?

<gasps> The IMF is poor?!

Hey, i dont have no millionaire dad. The IMF is spiritually poor. But filthy rich (money wise)

ReputationRep:
    <gasps> Hey where you going it's my turn now!
    *thinks hes getting more than he bargained for,

anyway ppl i know they say sleep if for the old but i dun belive it, i must sleep now, canna stay awake to longer,

hope a gade student finds his way and stops kissing his ass, *here an od idea for you, THERES MORE TO LIFE THAN EDUCATION!

and on that note i must leave u all..... farwell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Hey, i dont have no millionaire dad. The IMF is spiritually poor. But filthy rich (money wise)
    O-kaaaaay I was joking! You mention my dad like it's a bad thing him being a millionaire, is that what you meant?

ReputationRep:
    O-kaaaaay I was joking! You mention my dad like it's a bad thing him being a millionaire, is that what you meant?
    No. That was what u percieved it to be. I was merely stating a fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    No. That was what u percieved it to be. I was merely stating a fact.
    An irrelevant fact, which is why I got the impression that you wanted to say it as if it was bad.

ReputationRep:
    An irrelevant fact, which is why I got the impression that you wanted to say it as if it was bad.
    Lighten up, im joshing as well.

ReputationRep:
    Have whatever impression u want, im tired , need sleep. Sos, if i offended u in anyway, apolligse (sp) beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Have whatever impression u want, im tired , need sleep. Sos, if i offended u in anyway, apolligse (sp) beforehand.
    Not a prob at all, goodnight man!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but the person who wrote this is obviously taking the p***.

Sorry if this has already been suggested, but i couldn't be bothered to trawl through 3 pages.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I am not 'A-Grade-student', coz i wouldnt be so sad as to cry if i got rejected, coz i know i wouldnt.
    And by the way, for your information, you DO NOT NEED THOSE PARTICULAR THINGS TO GET INTO CAM.
    firstly, you ned very good GCSE grades, proven qualifications that you can show.
    secondly, yes, you do need to mention some extra things you have done for school. I.e.) at my school, i have done IT Assistance aswell as helping lower school with homework etc. and i have also been employed to do a paid science job.
    thirdly, i dont do sport for the school. I am interested in another sport barring rugby and footy that the school supports, and i have earned mass trophies and recognition for that. so i can show that i also have talent in another field.
    fourthly, every will have chance to do work experience anyway.
    fifthly, what teh ****k is duke of edinburgh whn its at home? i have awards certified for the school and presented on senior prize evening, which counts more than any of the **** you have mentioned. Duke of edinburgh? lol. i bet its as important as one of those attendance certificates you get in primary school.

ReputationRep:
    Duke of Edinburgh is a highly respected award scheme for 14-25 year olds. Slightly more important than an attendance certificate. I can't believe you've never heard of it! Whether or not it helps you get into Cambridge I don't know though.

Everyone can recite grades and extra-curricular activities as much as they like; the fact is that a lot of it is eventually down to luck. If you come across well on your interview day, show that you're able to think for yourself and that you have a genuine passion for your subject rather than just getting an A in it, then you'll do a lot better than going in there with mind-blowing arrogance, threatening them with litigation and acting like you own the place already.

As for the damage it would do to Cambridge's name - minuscule. How many people didn't apply to Oxford after the Laura Spence incident? Applications for Camb are up quite significantly this year, so I doubt one kid whining about not getting in will damage that.

ReputationRep:
    What an arrogant sod you are; it is not only about grades to get into Cambridge; you have to show integrityand potential to be successful in their degree; getting As at A Level is only the first step.

Also Oxbridge is heavily over subscribed about 1000+ for about 40 places on a course, personally after reading this post I think you don't deserve to go to university at all; being working class and getting grade As means absolutley nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    lol this is one of the funniest things I've seen on here (assuming of course that he is actually taking the piss-I would hope so!)
    As a working class oxford girl myself I'd thoroughly recommend this course of action to anyone, it will undoubtedly elicit such a mixture of awe and fear from the interviewers they'll let you in immediately! Becasue unsuccessful applicants whinging strike terror into the very core of their being. What a fabulous idea, guaranteed success! In fact, I'll let y'all into a little secret. Thats how I got in!
    Yeah, it's fantastically clever, isn't it? Think I'll use it for myself in trying to get into LBS.

ReputationRep:
    *Sigh*

http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?t=10042

(Original post by Tek)
    Don't you just hate it when people (CANDICE CLARKE) run crying to the press because they get 4 or 5 As (5 in her case) at A2 level but are rejected by Oxbridge? If you don't get in then bad luck. Oxbridge gets thousands of applicants and almost all of them are predicted straight As at A2; it is impossible for them to accept everyone.

People like Miss Clarke need to grow up and realise that almost all decisions for places are based on interviews. Look at the Laura Spence case: Oxford rejected her because they thought that she was not terribly enthusiastic about studying Medicine (a fact confirmed when she went to Harvard to read biochemistry).

Why then, must people like Miss Clarke and Miss Spence run to the press crying come results day? Don't they realise that in order to read oversubscribed courses such as Medicine at Oxbridge they need a little more than straight As? If you ever read this, Miss Clarke, then please heed my advice and grow up! She claims that she 'worked hard' and 'deserved a place'. Well so what? Everyone who applies to Oxbridge works hard and everyone thinks they are entitled to a place. You don't always get your own way in life: so deal with it and don't run off to the press to complain!

</rant>

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh remember the good old days...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Grade Student)
    .... Do you think I should? This would probably make them think twice before rejecting me on the grounds of social class. Is this a good idea? We think it probably would be.
    its up to you.

ReputationRep:
    Well my family have said that they would during a discussion we had earlier. And all my teachers think I am most certainly Cambridge material, so the only reason I could think of for rejection would be discrimination. What is daft about it? I know I deserve a place and know for sure that I have the potential to succeed at Cambridge. So I would be severely dismayed if I were to be rejected and would wish to know why.

If that takes public complaints and legal action then so be it.

Paaaaaaaaaaathetic. How many people do you think apply to Cambridge with 4 A grades??!! How many people whose teachers and family think they're Cambridge material? Don't be ridiculous, just do your best and accept whatever the outcome is. I'm sure there are a huge number of people who are cleverer than you as, if you do get in, you will doubtless discover. It doesn't matter how clever you are - and 4 A grades, while good, is hardly anything unusual where Cambridge is concerned - it all comes down to how you perform at interview. If you have a bad day and mess up - well, sorry, but that's life. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think someone is spouting BS and that if they threaten that then I'm pretty sure if someone showed this thread to the jury they would go with the very large, worth a lot of money, well recognised establishment.....save time and effort by applying yourself to your work a not to BSing about things u say will do that will inadvertantly get you done for blackmail

Well my family have said that they would during a discussion we had earlier. And all my teachers think I am most certainly Cambridge material, so the only reason I could think of for rejection would be discrimination. What is daft about it? I know I deserve a place and know for sure that I have the potential to succeed at Cambridge. So I would be severely dismayed if I were to be rejected and would wish to know why.

If that takes public complaints and legal action then so be it.
    My opinion of this entire thread:-
    1) The initial poster is one of these weird and frankly sad people who get a big kick out of being contraversial.

2) There is no legal recourse if you are rejected. Unless the interviewer says 'get out you dirty foreigner/woman/ethnic minority'.

3) You have to be just a smidgen on the fit side to get to the papers. They get tonnes of mail from people wanting exposure, but only ever print the ones with a real outrageous story. ("My interview was in a crack hoare den in which I was held captive for 3 months before being rejected because I'm working class")

J

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2003
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.