Turn on thread page Beta

Does applying to Oxbridge Med affect my applications to PBL Unis? watch

ReputationRep:
    Recently I discovered that my application to study medicine at a PBL (problem-based learning) university has been rejected without interview, which came as a very unpleasant surprise to me. But I'm left to wonder whether my application to Cambridge (which has a very traditional med course) has hindered my application to this PBL uni.

To give a very quick and as un-ecotistical background of myself as possible, I'm predicted AAAA in Bio, Chem, Math and Futher Maths, plus a B in AS Eng Lang. I'm in many of leadership roles, obtained 140+ hours of community service, spent a summer working in a hospital and have visited all of my unis. I thought that this would at least get me to the interview stage at these universities (which is obviously not true).

I've heard rumours that if PBL unis see a traditional med uni like Oxbridge, they very quickly dismiss the applicant as not being committed enough to learn through PBL. I just wanted to know whether anyone else has heard this, and whether there's any element of truth in this.

On a side note, are universities able to see which other unis you've applied to in your UCAS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Jon)
    On a side note, are universities able to see which other unis you've applied to in your UCAS?
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure? When my girlfriend applied to Cambridge to do medicine, she was quizzed about her decision to apply there by the interviewer at Nottingham where she also applied (even though this kind of behavious is not allowed according to UCAS)

I think they can see where you apply to, but dont know for sure...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asyterial)
    Are you sure? When my girlfriend applied to Cambridge to do medicine, she was quizzed about her decision to apply there by the interviewer at Nottingham where she also applied (even though this kind of behavious is not allowed according to UCAS)

I think they can see where you apply to, but dont know for sure...
    This is the first year for which unis haven't been able to see the others to which you applied. So in previous years they were able to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    This is the first year for which unis haven't been able to see the others to which you applied. So in previous years they were able to.
    This isn't the first year, last year was the first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    This isn't the first year, last year was the first.
    So presumably Asyterial's gf applied a couple of years ago or more.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.