Primary science...money to spend!!

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Mighell
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Hi im a science co ordinator in a london primary school..... does anyone know of any good speakers
who can come and do a whole school inset...science based..(investigation based)...or
anything!..lol.....just need to boost science really...

also

any good companies who come in and do plays/workshops for the kids.... cheers in advance mark
Grand Poobah
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
There's a guy who comes to do science shows for the kids here, but we're up north near Manchester.
I don't know if he'd travel but I can try and find out some info if you like. He might know
someone near you.

Donna
Mighell
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
thanks donna that would be great!!!

anyone got any ideas..on a good staff inset to do regarding science...i know the key stage 2
sats..(science)..are changing next year...to be more investigative...reading data based....

like to do a whole school inset on that....not sure where to start??? all ideas..on insets...and
science workshops...or speakers gratefully appreciated!! mark
Russell
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
mighell wrote:

[q1]> thanks donna that would be great!!![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> anyone got any ideas..on a good staff inset to do regarding science...i know the key stage 2[/q1]
[q1]> sats..(science)..are changing next year...to be more investigative...reading data based....[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> like to do a whole school inset on that....not sure where to start??? all ideas..on insets...and[/q1]
[q1]> science workshops...or speakers gratefully appreciated!! mark[/q1]

The two best primary scientists I've ever heard were Christine Fogg, who is Advisor for Suffolk &
big in the ASE - she gives lectures at conventions and conferences so I'm sure that she is available
to hire ... I went on a course of hers called "Investigations - Thinking Backwards" all about how
handling & interpreting data, planning experiments can be included in every lesson - v.
thought-provoking. Also an old college tutor called Dot D'Urban Jackson who is extremely clear and
thorough - ideal for a staff who perhaps lack confidence? - I believe she does some freelance work -
try contacting her through St. Mary's Strawberry Hill.

The AXIS materials (don't know the ref. - can look up at school next week) would be an ideal
starting point for your own INSET - I did a day on Science & Thinking Skills - linking Science to
Visual/Auditory/Kinaesthetic, using knowledge about the brain to identify effective ways of
recording etc. in Jan which went down well.

Russell
Mighell
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> The AXIS materials (don't know the ref. - can look up at school next week)[/q1]
would be an ideal starting point for your own INSET - I did a day on Science & Thinking Skills -
linking Science to Visual/Auditory/Kinaesthetic, using knowledge about the brain to identify
effective ways of recording etc. in Jan which went down well. Russell

thanks russel all help greatly appreciated mark
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (94)
26.86%
No (256)
73.14%

Watched Threads