The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I didn't bring a TV and haven't regretted it for a minute. It's meant I can cut the crap I watch and I can still get the programmes I actually care about on iPlayer and occasionally 4od, without having to get a TV license. The problem is, at peak times iPlayer and any other streaming video can be very hard to watch, but they're supposedly bringing in a whole load of improvements to the network soon.

The SNS does include Freewire which I believe gives you the Freeview channels plus a few more. I haven't used it because you still need a TV license to watch it, and it seems to me it would be easy to detect who is using it.

Dijobla
IIRC TV license is also for Channel 4 (they're partly subsidised) don't think I could live without the Channel 4 group...

I know maybe one person who paid for a tv license... hardly anybody does. I heard they're doing away with it soon. It's ridiculous anyway, because they expect you to buy a license for everything that could access telly- so that's tvs, laptops, mobiles But I suppose it's your gamble, because if they do catch you, can't say you weren't warned!
I don't know if any of the license fee goes to C4 but I think the rule is that if you have a TV, you need to get a TV license, regardless of whether you say you're watching BBC or not. The fee only covers live TV so you can watch iPlayer on your computer, phone etc without having to pay. And I find it hard to believe they're "doing away" with it to be honest. :s-smilie:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 21
Yes you need a TV licence even if you're watching live programmes online. But it's a lot harder to check for.
Reply 22
markdr
I didn't bring a TV and haven't regretted it for a minute. It's meant I can cut the crap I watch and I can still get the programmes I actually care about on iPlayer and occasionally 4od, without having to get a TV license. The problem is, at peak times iPlayer and any other streaming video can be very hard to watch, but they're supposedly bringing in a whole load of improvements to the network soon.

The SNS does include Freewire which I believe gives you the Freeview channels plus a few more. I haven't used it because you still need a TV license to watch it, and it seems to me it would be easy to detect who is using it.

I don't know if any of the license fee goes to C4 but I think the rule is that if you have a TV, you need to get a TV license, regardless of whether you say you're watching BBC or not. The fee only covers live TV so you can watch iPlayer on your computer, phone etc without having to pay. And I find it hard to believe they're "doing away" with it to be honest. :s-smilie:

iPlayer streams live tv too, anything that can broadcast/stream television requires a license. It's just ridiculous regulations. With digital channels, freeview, cable etcetera, it's getting harder and harder for the BBC to justify having a license. I think they have a review in 2010 and we'll find out then if the license carries on, and it's very likely there'll be a change. (I think so don't take my word for it :tongue:)

Ykljdsfdg
Oh... I thought C4 asked to be subsidised b/c they couldn't afford the digital switch over so the government paid a lot of it for them (you know, keeping the masses happy keeps the elite in power and all). I never knew the TV licence went to C4 as well. I don't really watch TV but when I do 90% of the time it's with C4/E4/Film4.

You could be right, I'm just remembering stuff from my Media A Level from two years ago (something useful actually came out of that A2 afterall lol).

Lol how did this become a talk about tv licenses? Anyway, I reckon you'll be fine with just your laptop, OP. Got everything you need right there :yes:.

Latest