slim jim
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Right I've been given an offer for LSE, as you do I applied for accomadation. I got Sydney Webb house, I done some research on the dorms and I keep getting negative feedback. Is their anyway I can change my choice of accomadation?
Anatheme
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Accommodation.
I guess calling them and asking for a change is the best you can do, or wait until you're there and look for someone who would be happy to swap with you.
Joanna May
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I wouldn't have thought so. I'm not at LSE, but the UCL website makes it very clear that there is limited student accommodation and that they'll only make you one offer. I would have thought it'd be the same for most London universities in decent locations. You can always ask, but I would have thought the answer would be no. At most universities, you can move in and be put on a waiting list if you really don't like the place you're put, but you'd be a long way down their priority list, since a lot of people don't even get any accommodation at all.
Charlski
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by slim jim)
Right I've been given an offer for LSE, as you do I applied for accomadation. I got Sydney Webb house, I done some research on the dorms and I keep getting negative feedback. Is their anyway I can change my choice of accomadation?

Are you sure you got an offer from them?

On topic, why don't you ring and ask?
joyce728
Report 12 years ago
im not happy about my accommodation either. I put LSE accom as preference but it looks like they are going to allocate me with an IC hall.

this is the e-mail lse accom office sent to me a couple of days ago,

Dear Student,

Your application for a place at the University Residences is now being
considered and we are trying to arrange for you to have a
place in one of the Intercollegiate Halls for the academic year 2009/10.

If you are still interested in this, please complete and submit the
online form at http://www.lse.ac.uk/accommodation/a...rovisional.htm
within fourteen days.

If we do not hear from you we shall assume that you no longer require a
place in accommodation.

Kind regards,
LSE Accommodation Office

I originally thought that I would only be allocated with LSE accom if I have put it as preference so I actually put down 3 random halls for the IC choice.. so.. just sucks.. do u think that they have made a mistake by any chance or are IC halls also included in the lottery system thing even when LSE is preference?

sorry for the long post!
sad sad core
Badges: 1
Report 12 years ago
when can we start finding for a swap? I heard it is from July and onwards as many student would know their final grade by then.
sad sad core
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sad sad core)
when can we start finding for a swap? I heard it is from July and onwards as many student would know their final grade by then.

i may consider living outside of LSE hall if i couldn't get a swap for what i want. I really couldn't stand the distance away from LSE.
Of course, in the worst case scenario, i would be staying in Butler Wharf.
sad sad core
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by El Mariachi)
Well, at least you'll be living with LSE students, living somewhere else by yourself might be a bit lonely. Which hall did you end up with?
As stated Butler Wharf..... yeah, population maybe a problem. That's why i prefer LSE hall but i dun really get the system of LSE accommodation. How do i know when someone couldn't achieve their grades and they forfeit their accommodation? We won't know when those student will declare their results after result is out in August.
WANTED! - High Holborn
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
sad sad core...you should be able to find a swap if you put your mind to it....
ninety_nine
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ditto. Plenty of people got screwed out of their preferred accomodation this year, but it's the kind of thing that happens everywhere.
RJA
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sidney Webb isn't that bad! I've tolerated it for the whole year

You are quite unlikely to get a swap out of there. Because loads of people want the same thing.
sad sad core
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by RJA)
Sidney Webb isn't that bad! I've tolerated it for the whole year

You are quite unlikely to get a swap out of there. Because loads of people want the same thing.
I thought so too. The only chance for me to get what i want would be to occupy those left over spaces when some offer holders couldn't achieve their requirement grade.
zxcvbnm3
Report 12 years ago
sad sad core exactly the same thing has happened to me!!!
so jarring, i wanted rosebury and specified catered halls and got sydney webb.
also, can't see us being able to change as i have seen lots of people on facebook groups etc attempting to swap out of sydney webb.
lse told me to accept and maybe i will be able to change next eyar.
i am from london and hater that area, but guess we wil just have to grin and bear it.
i have got a friend there and he said he found it more difficult to make friends as it is very quiet, but he has managed.
so fingers crossed it will be ok!
sad sad core
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by zxcvbnm3)
sad sad core exactly the same thing has happened to me!!!
so jarring, i wanted rosebury and specified catered halls and got sydney webb.
also, can't see us being able to change as i have seen lots of people on facebook groups etc attempting to swap out of sydney webb.
lse told me to accept and maybe i will be able to change next eyar.
i am from london and hater that area, but guess we wil just have to grin and bear it.
i have got a friend there and he said he found it more difficult to make friends as it is very quiet, but he has managed.
so fingers crossed it will be ok!
I am quite disappointed with my offer. As i am an overseas student, i just have to accept it no matter how bad the hall is.
nugax
Report 12 years ago
Most of it's pretty old, broken and depressing, really. Only reason to live in halls is the people around you, and the only two criteria for choosing which is proximity to the School and social activity.

SW is nice (but has a lot of PGs), though not too close. Still, this is London, as long as you live in zone 1-2 it really doesn't make that much of a difference.
Joy Division
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sidney Webbe is well nice, I wish I applied there instead of Rosebery tbh...they have fridges in the room so no one can steal your food... :yep: and the rooms look massive compared to the LSE halls and intercollegiate halls.
Nadinus
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Reject the place. Do NOT go to Sydney Webb you will regret it. I have yet to meet someone who is happy with it. It's in a horrible area, it's expensive for what it is, it's really far out, it's antisocial.

ANY other hall is better than it. It works like this: They hand out initial places to their applicants around this time. Now obviously, of the people who have a conditional offer, there are going to be -a lot- of people who don't get the grades and thus can't go, meaning there will be loads of spaces. Those who have turned down their offer will then be reallocated a hall within the free rooms.

For some people it's a risk, since you may end up being offered somewhere you want even less than your original hall. For you there's none, since Sidney-Webb is by far the worst.
sad sad core
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Nadinus)
Reject the place. Do NOT go to Sydney Webb you will regret it. I have yet to meet someone who is happy with it. It's in a horrible area, it's expensive for what it is, it's really far out, it's antisocial.

ANY other hall is better than it. It works like this: They hand out initial places to their applicants around this time. Now obviously, of the people who have a conditional offer, there are going to be -a lot- of people who don't get the grades and thus can't go, meaning there will be loads of spaces. Those who have turned down their offer will then be reallocated a hall within the free rooms.

For some people it's a risk, since you may end up being offered somewhere you want even less than your original hall. For you there's none, since Sidney-Webb is by far the worst.
What do you think about Butler Wharf in your opinion? Second worst among lse halls?
Nadinus
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sad sad core)
What do you think about Butler Wharf in your opinion? Second worst among lse halls?
I don't know much about it, I have yet to meet someone who lives there (which might be saying something itself) but I know it's predominantly postgraduate, and it's pretty far away as well. I doubt you'd get offered a place there over anywhere else though so...
sad sad core
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Nadinus)
I don't know much about it, I have yet to meet someone who lives there (which might be saying something itself) but I know it's predominantly postgraduate, and it's pretty far away as well. I doubt you'd get offered a place there over anywhere else though so...
Unfortunately, i am offered BW hall. That is why i am asking you about it. Haha!!:woo: stupid LSE......:mad:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.71%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
8.01%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.82%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.53%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.72%

Watched Threads