Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    not sure if this thread in is the right place but....oh well.

Where could I get hold of a relatively cheap, decent, starters SLR camera? and for how much? also, are they all digital these days?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Ebay is full of slr, but it depends exactly how cheap you're after.

However, in the long term dslrs work out cheaper and more environmentally friendly.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Do you want a film or digital aka dslr?
    For film, try ebay or freecycle or any thrift stores you have close to you. Depends on what type you want really and what specs you want.
    Also what's your budget etc?

ReputationRep:
    I thought this was about the Mercedes Mclaren SLR...:ninja:

Edit: Oh then, I read CHEAP!...:p:

ReputationRep:
    I've recently looked into the lower end of DSLR cameras. Amazon currently have great prices on the Nikon D40 and Sony A200K, both of which would be good places to start looking (I ended up getting the latter).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    I've recently looked into the lower end of DSLR cameras. Amazon currently have great prices on the Nikon D40 and Sony A200K, both of which would be good places to start looking (I ended up getting the latter).
    Urm it would probably be a digital one then. How much did you get it for?
    I don't really know how much they cost in general so if anyone can enlighten me on the price ranges, that would be great!

thanks for your help everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Both of them are in the £250 range. You won't find any DSLRs new for cheaper than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raspberryice)
    Urm it would probably be a digital one then. How much did you get it for?
    I don't really know how much they cost in general so if anyone can enlighten me on the price ranges, that would be great!

thanks for your help everyone.
    Here is a good place to compare prices. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    My first DLSR was (well is) a Nikon D40. I love it. It's so easy to use. Its a bit cheaper now than when I got it. I got mine in Jessops- check out their online store as they do some good deals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaydiee)
    My first DLSR was (well is) a Nikon D40. I love it. It's so easy to use. Its a bit cheaper now than when I got it. I got mine in Jessops- check out their online store as they do some good deals
    ok, cool. are the cheap ones decent? obviously they won't be as good as the expensive ones, but are they good for beginners and nice enough to take some gd photos?

ReputationRep:
    This should probably be your best bet at getting a good deal on DSLR's

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/Home/default.aspx

ReputationRep:
    I also have a Nikon D40. I paid £250 for it on Amazon. It's probably pretty basic as far as DSLRs got, but it's good enough for me. Seems amazing compared to my cheap digital thing.

ReputationRep:
    ok, cool. are the cheap ones decent? obviously they won't be as good as the expensive ones, but are they good for beginners and nice enough to take some gd photos?
    All the the dslr cameras are great performers even the cheap ones. Dpreview has some great information and don't be put off by cameras with a 'lower' megapixel count as 6 is more than enough and these offer better low light performance.

Whatever you do make sure you go and try out whatever cameras you're interested in so you know how it feels in your hand. I was tied between the nikon d40 and the pentax k100d but the found the k100d fitted my hands much better and you can't know this without checking it out in person. (btw, k100d has gone up in price significantly since I bought it, so is probably not in your options).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatone)
    I also have a Nikon D40. I paid £250 for it on Amazon. It's probably pretty basic as far as DSLRs got, but it's good enough for me. Seems amazing compared to my cheap digital thing.
    yeh £250 seems to be the cheapest. interesting...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitely, I think all DSLR cameras take good photos, well, to a certain extent. Obviously £200-300 range, for starter cameras, are better than any cheaper ones. If you're careful they're pretty long lasting as well

ReputationRep:
    If you want the best bang for your buck, you'd be better to spend less on the body and more on the lens.

The Nikon D40 would be perfectly adequate. If you're planning on enlarging photos pretty huge then maybe the D40x. But make sure you get a nice lens to complement it. Photography is a hobby with an ongoing cost. The more ambitious you get as time goes on the more expensive lenses you want; good thing lenses don't become obsolete nearly as quickly as bodies do (some slowly go up in price as time goes on) so they're a good investment.

ReputationRep:
    D40 or Sony A200k sounds ideal for you.

But as aKarma said, go try them out in a shop before you buy. I was determined to go between Nikon D60 and Cannon 400D when I looked for my DSLR before xmas. Wasn't too happy with how either felt. By a lucky fluke picked up the Sony in Dixons (or whatever it is now) and it fitted my hands perfectly and just felt right.

If you don't mind a refurbised D40 visit cameraworld.co.uk, its £200 there. I've used their Chelmsford brach, very good service, they don't pressure you into buying stuff, just guide and advise, and they price match. Also ask a shop if they can do a deal for you, I saved about £100 on my camera, twin lens and memory card.

ReputationRep:
    Canon 1000d is probably a bit more expensive than what your looking for but it is worth having a look at from what I've read.

Just another side to it all I suppose!

ReputationRep:
    Cheap SLRs will beat most non-SLRs. Maybe something used like a 300d?

ReputationRep:
    The best digital SLR camera at the entry level is Nikon D40 which is available online between range £240 to £ 250. A slightly higher version with vibration reduction is Nikon D60.

Both are equally good Digital SLRs.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.