Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I thought this could be something people could add to all year round.
    It could be tips about accommodation, social life, societies, exam techniques, books, methods of taken notes in lectures, revision tips etc!

I personally want to ask current students whether they think its a good idea to take a netbook and a dictophone to lectures when making notes. Personally, I type quicker than i handwrite (and its neater!) and i know id eventually want to write them up anyway. Is this a viable option?

TIPS

Spoiler:
    Show
    Remember that medical school should be a learning things - not a survival thing.

Medicine is 60% intellect and 40% spirits.

Don't think that everyone else is totally confident, natural and on top of things in the first term. They're not. Most of them will have considered dropping out - it's totally normal.

Talk to people!

Do things that aren't medicine.

Make the most of all opportunities.

If you can find a cheaper way to hide from it all than booze, do so. Have fun but don't get drunk the night before your exam and start talking about energy saving bulbs. You will consume vast amounts of alcohol.

Don't drink on an empty stomach.

Keep your eyes on other jobs you can do with a medical degree, and don't get sucked into the medicine is the be all and the end all state that many people end up in. There are so many fields within Medicine.

Don't go in expecting it all to be fantastic, there will be times when you hate it with an absolute passion. Be prepared to say sod it.

Keep working hard, it is not easy. But remember let go and go out, it will keep you sane.

Seriously though, enjoy your time as a non student, non fresher.

Don't read up in summer, and remember, don't let the work take over your life.

If you need to sleep, sleep. Eat regularly.

Going catered halls will save lots of time. Food is not always the best, but so handy when you have no time to cook/shop/clean.

Shop and cook in a reasonably sized group. Buying separately is way more expensive and way less fun.

Become veggie for term-time - it's quicker, cheaper and doesn't give you campylobacter (learnt it the hard way). Or er be a carnivore as herbies get campylobacter gastroenteritis anyway...*discrepancy*

Don't skip lunch and breakfast before dissection. You will be ravenous.

Keep a small stock of non perishable food/drink in your room for times when you miss meals/are very hungry/for after nights out (cheaper than takeaways).

Packing a lunch/dinner is also a good idea just in case you have to spend a little more time in library.

Spoiler:
    Show

Medicine will become more clinical as your progress.
    Start revising early. Start working from the start, it'll save a whole lot of nerves in April.

Actually take notes in lectures and don't skip them. Make decent notes and make sure you understand it all before you move on. Make sure your notes are complete as soon as and that you can revise from them. Most people print the slides and annotate.

Typing in lectures is the most irritating sound ever. The only laptops seen in our lec theatre are the cool ones that let you scribble on the screen so you can annotate the slides, or the one guy who sets up his webcam and then departs. The problem with computers is the diagrams.

Work consistently and moderately: you don't want to kill yourself the month before exams. Understand and make notes during the year, revise them in study leave.

Spoiler:
    Show

Don't buy all the books. Definately don't rush out to buy every book on the reading list, check out the library first.

Don't buy all the books, no matter what the lecturers say. You will probably not use some of them and some of them you will hardly use. The library will probably have most set texts and you can just renew, renew, renew. Buying textbooks online is almost always cheaper, something like bookbutler helps you find the cheapest. Also, medical textbooks are heavy so it is worth getting them delivered straight to halls to save your back!

Be prepared to not understand very much.

2/3 following things can be done well, not 3/3: work/extracurricular/party.

Don't become dependent upon your dictaphone.

Don't waste the weekend away.

Realise that, deep down, everyone is a geek. Everyone lies about how much work they do. Ignore it.

Living with other medics is great for borrowing textbooks, notes, and answers for problem-solving.

The BNF is your best friend!

I'm gonna add one: the BNF is your best friend!
    I got the Anatomy Colouring Book for £11 on The Book Depository but it's the same price as Amazon now. If a photocopier costs 10p a sheet, it's actually cheaper to photocopy the whole book! Same with a lot of the Crash Course books. The colouring book somehow allows you to spend twenty minutes being six again, which is amazingly relaxing, and then somehow when sat down in an exam the picture appears in the mind.
    Keep your copy hidden, various chemistry and biology students have been known to try and steal it.

I don't get on with marieb, the tables are of use, but horribly inaccurate according to our anatomy dept (they tell us to ignore any anatomy in marieb and to use Drake instead, with their corrections).

Have some non-medic friends. Do music or sport.

At Newcastle there is thing called recap where the lectures are recorded and put online so don't bother with your dictaphone.

I would say work consistently throughout the year, but I didn't manage it and I know very few people who did.

It’s common sense but don't have a massive night out before dissection.

Spoiler:
    Show

Fancy dress is a way of life. Lots of random clothes recommended although you'd be surprised what you can make from your existing wardrobe. Tin foil = Pirate Costume foil.

Ideas:
    - Mismatch
    - Colour themes (traffic lights red/green/yellow )
    - Pirates - always happens?
    - Neon/rave
    - Doctors and nurses (set of scrubs)
    - Formal/black tie for balls!
    - Smart clothes and shoes for placements
    - Cowboys and Indians
    - Golf pros and tennis hos
    - Toga material - the more colourful the better! 6' x 2/3' ought to do it.
    - Bikini/speedos
    - Pyjamas

ReputationRep:
    *Subscribes*
    This will be useful

ReputationRep:
    Oo. This WILL be useful.

ReputationRep:
    hmm, how do you subscribe?

ReputationRep:
    If you can find a cheaper way to hide from it all than booze, do so.

Keep your eyes on other jobs you can do with a medical degree, and don't get sucked into the medicine is the be all and the end all state that many people end up in.

Be prepared to say sod it.

Don't go in expecting it all to be fantastic, there will be times when you hate it with an absolute passion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)

Keep your eyes on other jobs you can do with a medical degree, and don't get sucked into the medicine is the be all and the end all state that many people end up in.

Don't go in expecting it all to be fantastic, there will be times when you hate it with an absolute passion.
    Being your usual non-cynical, optimistic self then, I see.

ReputationRep:
    Medicine will become more clinical as your progress.

Keep working hard, it is not easy.

There are so many fields within Medicine.

Actually take notes in lectures and don't skip them.

Have fun but don't get drunk the night before your exam and start talking about energy saving bulbs.

Good Luck, I'll add more later...:woo:

ReputationRep:
    HAHA a dictophone AND a laptop... maybe us at Glasgow are far to relaxed about this kinda thing but even seeing a laptop is something to behold!

Best tips I can give you,

start revising early
    don't buy all the books.
    make decent notes and make sure you understand it all before you move on.
    if you need to sleep, sleep.
    eat regularly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BackDoorEntry)
    hmm, how do you subscribe?
    Reply and at the bottom under Advanced Options it says "Thread Subscription". Choose if you want to be emailed occasionally or not from the drop down then just reply as normal. It shows in your "Watched threads" and if you asked for it you'll get emails every now and again updating you on the thread's progress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)

(Original post by Kinkerz)
    Being your usual non-cynical, optimistic self then, I see.
    Terpineol speaks the truth. You will understand

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lu-x)
    Terpineol speaks the truth. You will understand
    To some extent, I already do understand (to some extent!). I see his point(s). Time (and results day!) will tell whether I agree or not.

ReputationRep:
    *Subscribes*

ReputationRep:
    Start working from the start, it'll save a whole lot of nerves in April.

It's a *****

You'll have a great time

You will consume vast amounts of alcohol.

Be prepared to not understand very much.

Many many hours of work.

2/3 following things can be done well, not 3/3:
    work/extracurricular/party

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    start revising early
    don't buy all the books.
    eat regularly.
    This.

Don't become dependent upon your dictaphone. Make sure your notes are complete as soon as and that you can revise from them. I have found bringing a laptop to lectures helps me, though everyone is different. Don't waste the weekend away. Definately don't rush out to buy every book on the reading list, check out the library first. But remember let go and go out, it will keep you sane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    HAHA a dictophone AND a laptop... maybe us at Glasgow are far to relaxed about this kinda thing but even seeing a laptop is something to behold!

Best tips I can give you,

start revising early
    don't buy all the books.
    eat regularly.
    If you go to Glasgow, you don't need to buy any books! :p: the Study Landscape (a non-lending library with multiple copies of all the main texts) is brilliant. All I own is the Anatomy Colouring Book and Macleod's.

Definitely agree with the understanding notes - immunology confused me to begin with but when I actually had notes that made sense, it's pretty simple.

Make sure you have a life outside medicine! Someone pointed out to me that at certain times you're going to be stressed anyway, so it's best to spread the stress between different things!

Classes are there for a reason - it's often the people that take labs that write and mark your exam questions. Second year exam questions at Glasgow are often straight from the lab notes but a lot of people overlook these!

Keep focused on the end result - you're going to be a doctor at the end of the day!

It's not always as bad as Terpineol says. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Prepare your liver well before getting to uni.

As for notes, I make copious handwritten ones in the lecture. Most people print the slides and annotate. (Chiko, Prof Long [Biochem] will expect you to have printed his notes, and Prof Cotter [Physiology] will print them for you). My flatmate makes zero notes and does it later from the slides online.

Typing in lectures is the most irritating sound ever. The only laptops seen in our lec theatre are the cool ones that let you scribble on the screen so you can annotate the slides, or the one guy who sets up his webcam and then departs.... Oh, and the problem with computers is the diagrams (Chiko, hope you have your art skills at the ready).

Lots of people use dictaphones. It's hilarious to whisper rude words into them while people aren't looking, as a delightful surprise when they listen back to it. I have no idea how much use the audio recording of lectures is.

Realise that, deep down, everyone is a geek. Everyone lies about how much work they do. Ignore it.

Don't expect to love every second of the pre-clin years.

As for accom, I live with three other medics and two non-meds. Living with meds is great for borrowing textbooks, notes, and answers for problem-solving. And for never being the only one who has a 9am lecture.

Don't skip classes! It's a steep downhill slope....

Erm... enjoy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Prepare your liver well before getting to uni.

As for notes, I make copious handwritten ones in the lecture. Most people print the slides and annotate. (Chiko, Prof Long [Biochem] will expect you to have printed his notes, and Prof Cotter [Physiology] will print them for you). My flatmate makes zero notes and does it later from the slides online.

Typing in lectures is the most irritating sound ever. The only laptops seen in our lec theatre are the cool ones that let you scribble on the screen so you can annotate the slides, or the one guy who sets up his webcam and then departs.... Oh, and the problem with computers is the diagrams (Chiko, hope you have your art skills at the ready).

Lots of people use dictaphones. It's hilarious to whisper rude words into them while people aren't looking, as a delightful surprise when they listen back to it. I have no idea how much use the audio recording of lectures is.

Don't expect to love every second of the pre-clin years.

As for accom, I live with three other medics and two non-meds. Living with meds is great for borrowing textbooks, notes, and answers for problem-solving. And for never being the only one who has a 9am lecture.

Don't skip classes! It's a steep downhill slope....

Erm... enjoy?
    I hope you realise that you'll probably start getting pms in September with subjects such as "ARGHHHH" and what not? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chiko 1001)
    I hope you realise that you'll probably start getting pms in September with subjects such as "ARGHHHH" and what not? :p:
    Fair enough. There's a guy in the year above me that I frequently badger with such PMs :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Fair enough. There's a guy in the year above me that I frequently badger with such PMs :tongue:
    Lol

ReputationRep:
    I recieve plenty of BMAT emails :sad:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 12, 2011

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.