The Student Room Group

The Official Tips for Surviving Medical School Thread

Scroll to see replies

I'm gonna add one: the BNF is your best friend!
Reply 21
Definately don't party too much, I know your flatmates will be going out all the time but try and limit it to 1 or 2 times a week.

Packing a lunch/dinner is also a good idea just in case you have to spend a little more time in library, once I had to make do with a frijj milkshake, a bag of oranges and a packet of jammy dodgers from iceland round the corner.
Reply 22
fatal
Definately don't party too much, I know your flatmates will be going out all the time but try and limit it to 1 or 2 times a week.

Packing a lunch/dinner is also a good idea just in case you have to spend a little more time in library, once I had to make do with a frijj milkshake, a bag of oranges and a packet of jammy dodgers from iceland round the corner.

:zomg: :wtf: :lolwut:
fatal
once I had to make do with a frijj milkshake, a bag of oranges and a packet of jammy dodgers from iceland round the corner.

Or get the Snapfax £3 pasta/pizza + drink deal from Little Italy! It's reaalllyyy good and it's open late too.

Iceland being so close to uni is dangerous though. :frown: I also live far too close to Farm Foods - 3 packets of Maryland cookies for £1!!!
Reply 24
Becca-Sarah
or the one guy who sets up his webcam and then departs....

Haha!
anyone know how i can make this thread sticky please? Thanks for all the contributions people!!
Reply 26
you need a certain amount of posts before that'll happen
Reply 27
I think only mods can do that.
Reply 28
Haha - goerges are advertising. Credit Crunch must be bad!.

Seriously though, enjoy your time as a non student, non fresher. Don't read up in summer, and remember, don't let the work take over your life (If you want it to, you can create so much work for yourself) But remember that medical school should be a learning things - not a survival thing.

(says the muppet who is now cramming).
AppleandMangoPie
anyone know how i can make this thread sticky please? Thanks for all the contributions people!!

only a mod can do that
AppleandMangoPie

it's not that essential to be stickied. ask Hygeia to add it to the wiki, i think it would fit better there.
okays! Thanks :biggrin:
People have a tendency to ignore stickies too. As long as people keep posting, it'll be seen.
Reply 33
once we've got some more responses I'll make a wiki page for it which other's can keep adding to
im going to steal this for the nursing area!
Does anyone have any tips in terms of food!? :P
AppleandMangoPie
Does anyone have any tips in terms of food!? :P

Have a look in the Food and Drink forum and in the Recipes section of the Wiki - lots of simple but yummy suggestions.
Reply 37
Buy in bulk, its cheaper
cook loads then freeze into portion sizes
Become veggie for term-time - it's quicker, cheaper and doesn't give you campylobacter (learnt it the hard way)

Shop and cook in a reasonably sized group. Buying separately is way more expensive and way less fun.

Don't take medicine too seriously - you can't work at 100% all the time though plenty try to, it's a constant grind but if you can't take time out for yourself then you'll just burn out

Work consistently and moderately. It's the only way to do it. You can't work excessively all the time, but you also don't want to kill yourself the month before exams.

Understand and make notes during the year, revise them in study leave.

Do things that aren't medicine.

Don't think that everyone else is totally confident, natural and on top of things in the first term. They're not. Most of them will have considered dropping out - it's totally normal.

Make the most of all opportunities.
Reply 39
Suscribes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending