The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Jay

If your sight is set on LSE here are threads which one can browse to get a feel for different LSE issues.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19

But generally, Maths, FM, Economics, History should open all options for Economics - assuming you will have perfect matching grades too.

Good luck
BetterThanHeaven
Do you know what stockbroking actually is? Or is it merely a term perpetuated by the media and cinema, that you've tagged along to?

I'm going to get one thing out of the way before I go any further - walk into an interview in the City and tell the person in front of you that your personal portfolio makes you a prime candidate for the position in question, and you will be laughed out the door.

I'm not here to be condescending, I'll happily answer any questions you have, but you're making brash assumptions about things you don't seem to know too much about.

First, read:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Need-Know-About-City-Guides/dp/0955218632

Don't do a thing until you've read that cover to cover.

In reference to your initial post:
1 bank runs a gap-year internship scheme - Rothschild's is an advisory firm, thus they have no markets function within their business. Unless you have contacts at banks/brokerage houses, it's simply a no go.

Dropping Maths may well be the worst decision you ever made.
Banking, trading, broking, whatever: it's quantitative, analytical, logically based - Maths is intrinsic to all of the aforementioned.

Universities will see Economics and Business, taken as seperate A-Levels as conflicting given the amount of overlapping material - you may disagree, but it's their view, not mine.

Law is regarded as a "soft A-Level" by both Cambridge and the LSE - another point to consider.

I'm not trying to write-off your chances before you even try, I'm just trying to be realistic.

To the third point: Unless you are predicted & achieve an A/A* in Maths, you will struggle to gain a place at the universities which make up 95% of Front Office City intern/graduate intake. One of the most important things to consider is that what you do at university speaks volumes, to the extent where it may make your university irrelevant - however dedication and effort is key.
Going to somewhere such as Liverpool and applying for a FO markets position will result in nothing. In an equities Sales(broking)/Trading assessment centre in November, I was with LSE, Cambridge, Oxford, UCL (myself), SSE & Bristol students, who read either Economics or Maths.

It's competitive and harsh - if you're seeking to make "£££" in the City, you haven't been reading the news enough, this isn't 2004.

Yes dropping maths is probably the worse mistake I have ever done and yes I do understand your points made. So what would you suggest in terms of A-level subjects retaking maths and further maths?
Thanks for your advise.
rnshan
Jay

If your sight is set on LSE here are threads which one can browse to get a feel for different LSE issues.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19

But generally, Maths, FM, Economics, History should open all options for Economics - assuming you will have perfect matching grades too.

Good luck

Thanks, do you think I should consider dropping law and business as there seen as "soft and overlapping" subjects? and do you think taking a science such as physics or chem along with economics, maths and further maths would be stronger as apose to taking History? or do you think history is stronger?

Thanks for the advise :top:
Jay McConville
Thanks, do you think I should consider dropping law and business as there seen as "soft and overlapping" subjects? and do you think taking a science such as physics or chem along with economics, maths and further maths would be stronger as apose to taking History? or do you think history is stronger?

Physics or chem would be better than Law or Business.
A good combination would be :
Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics
That should give you some chance at LSE and Oxbridge.

Law and Business at school level are mickey mouse subjects.
(Bracing myself for the inevitable storms of protests by the intellectually unable
who will tell me that Law and Business were the most challenging subjects that they did at school.)
flugestuge
Physics or chem would be better than Law or Business.
A good combination would be :
Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics
That should give you some chance at LSE and Oxbridge.

Law and Business at school level are mickey mouse subjects.
(Bracing myself for the inevitable storms of protests by the intellectually unable
who will tell me that Law and Business were the most challenging subjects that they did at school.)

If I where to take Maths, Further Maths, Physics and economics and re-sit my AS levels, do you think this would have an affect on the way my application is taken into consideration? in terms of me re-siting a whole year how do you think these universities will take that? and will LSE and Oxbridge take my GCSE grades into consideration or will they not be relevant at all?
1) Maths is a must, with your weak subjects probably need at least one other strong A2, most beneficial would be Further Maths

2) If you are interested enough in the industry and can show it through relevant work experience, daily readings and market knowledge then your job opportunities shouldn't be damaged too much... yes some element of damage will be done

3) If you are set on this career, then taking an internship gap year with maths and perhaps even further maths would be your best bet. That way you can possibly get into a good uni and the experience would be very good for further job applications.

4) Economics is VERY competitive, regardless of everything else you do, your PS needs to be killer to even stand a chance at one of the top places, and even perhaps a slightly lower down uni for Economics.
Reply 66
I don't mean to be a dream killer here, but here is the harsh reality as I see it:

You don't have a good enough subject combination to apply for economics courses at a top 10 university.

Everyone is talking about you taking maths and further maths next year/on a gap year...
LSE and Oxford will still reject you because they will have people applying who have ALREADY done those subjects and got A's in them. Also, would you actually be able to take maths and further maths on your own?? if you were struggling with c1&c2 i doubt it.

The only way that you could stand a chance at getting into these universities is starting the whole AS year again and taking Maths, FUrther Maths, Economics + History/Science/essay subject...

May seem a bit extreme, but there is no way your are going to get in with your current academics... you need a fresh start.
Reply 67
Jay McConville

In my view with combination of Maths, FM and Physics - you are offering / exhibiting your quantative skills side - which is good if you are going to do Science at Univ. For Eco degree - your application will stronger with Maths, FM, History alongwith Eco. With this combinations - you are showing allround skills - including Essay writing abilities.
Cambridge -Eco website clearly states Maths, FM, Eco, History or Geography as most relevant subjects for Pursuing Eco degree. But saying that all univs do consider other traditional subjects. So you need to follow you personal liking too. (without discounting MATHS :smile: )
Mr.Carter
I don't mean to be a dream killer here, but here is the harsh reality as I see it:

You don't have a good enough subject combination to apply for economics courses at a top 10 university.

Everyone is talking about you taking maths and further maths next year/on a gap year...
LSE and Oxford will still reject you because they will have people applying who have ALREADY done those subjects and got A's in them. Also, would you actually be able to take maths and further maths on your own?? if you were struggling with c1&c2 i doubt it.

The only way that you could stand a chance at getting into these universities is starting the whole AS year again and taking Maths, FUrther Maths, Economics + History/Science/essay subject...

May seem a bit extreme, but there is no way your are going to get in with your current academics... you need a fresh start.

I agree a fresh start is the best option but I have heard that LSE and Oxbridge don't accept re-sits is this true?
rnshan
In my view with combination of Maths, FM and Physics - you are offering / exhibiting your quantative skills side - which is good if you are going to do Science at Univ. For Eco degree - your application will stronger with Maths, FM, History alongwith Eco. With this combinations - you are showing allround skills - including Essay writing abilities.
Cambridge -Eco website clearly states Maths, FM, Eco, History or Geography as most relevant subjects for Pursuing Eco degree. But saying that all univs do consider other traditional subjects. So you need to follow you personal liking too. (without discounting MATHS :smile: )

Thats what I though when choosing my AS subjects at the start - Why take a science other than maths when I want to go into economics so History is the more obvious option to take
Reply 70
Jay McConville
I agree a fresh start is the best option but I have heard that LSE and Oxbridge don't accept re-sits is this true?

They won't be re-sists since you are starting new A level subjects. I very much doubt that LSE/oxbridge are going to care that you did year 12 twice. If you have a good subject combination with solid grades you will be on par with everyone else, if anything it shows that your are commited!

Maths, FM, Economics, History would be ideal and very challenging
Jay McConville
If I where to take Maths, Further Maths, Physics and economics and re-sit my AS levels, do you think this would have an affect on the way my application is taken into consideration? in terms of me re-siting a whole year how do you think these universities will take that? and will LSE and Oxbridge take my GCSE grades into consideration or will they not be relevant at all?

If you were to redo your AS' I'd go for Maths, FM, Economics, Physics, History. You want to stand out and with 4 AS' and 4 A levels you're going to be very much the same as a lot of other candidates.
Clements-
If you were to redo your AS' I'd go for Maths, FM, Economics, Physics, History. You want to stand out and with 4 AS' and 4 A levels you're going to be very much the same as a lot of other candidates.

Yes I am going to redo my whole AS year with Maths, FM, Economics, physics and History for AS then drop either History or Physics at A2 if I feel that I am struggling with 5.

As I would have already done or will have done my AS in Economics, law and Business would this mean that I would have 7 AS's as I will have done AS law and business or will this be wiped clean as if I am starting my whole AS again?
Jay McConville
Yes I am going to redo my whole AS year with Maths, FM, Economics, physics and History for AS then drop either History or Physics at A2 if I feel that I am struggling with 5.

As I would have already done or will have done my AS in Economics, law and Business would this mean that I would have 7 AS's as I will have done AS law and business or will this be wiped clean as if I am starting my whole AS again?

The thing is, if you are going to struggle with 5 A levels, how on earth are you going to cope with the tremendous workload at Oxbridge or LSE?

You will still have AS Law and business. Furthermore, you wouldn't have to redo Economics. So therefore, next year you'd be doing A2 Maths, AS Physics, AS History, A2 Economics. Then, the next year you'd do A2 FM, A2 Physics/History. You would then end up with A levels in Maths, FM, Physics/History, Economics and 2 AS' in Law and Business.
Reply 74
Jay McConville
Thats what I though when choosing my AS subjects at the start - Why take a science other than maths when I want to go into economics so History is the more obvious option to take

You are right - except Law and Business are not considered as traditional subjects. :frown:
I don't know how happy they are with students taking A-levels for 3 consec years.
The Sherminator
I don't know how happy they are with students taking A-levels for 3 consec years.

Exactly. That's what I said a few posts up.

OP, the best thing you could do is contact each individual university asking them about their views on this. Only they can tell you for sure.
Reply 77
The Sherminator

agreed - but he is not wasting a year or taking additional yr to do just 3 subjects :smile: - he will end up doing 3 additional As :yep: He can always give his logic in his PS statement. Unfortunately he does not have any other choice.

How different is this - from taking additional subjects in Gap year?
rnshan
agreed - but he is not wasting a year or taking additional yr to do just 3 subjects :smile: - he will end up doing 3 additional As :yep: He can always give his logic in his PS statement. Unfortunately he does not have any other choice.

How different is this - from taking additional subjects in Gap year?

The thing is, I don't think they'll be impressed by someone that couldn't make up their mind or show interest in the subjects in the first place. Economics at LSE and Oxbridge is very quantitative and if faced with an equivalent candidate with an equally good PS, etc. who had done Maths, FM, etc. the first time round, my bet's on them plumping for the other candidate.
Clements-
The thing is, if you are going to struggle with 5 A levels, how on earth are you going to cope with the tremendous workload at Oxbridge or LSE?

You will still have AS Law and business. Furthermore, you wouldn't have to redo Economics. So therefore, next year you'd be doing A2 Maths, AS Physics, AS History, A2 Economics. Then, the next year you'd do A2 FM, A2 Physics/History. You would then end up with A levels in Maths, FM, Physics/History, Economics and 2 AS' in Law and Business.

When I think that I will only be doing (next year):

AS Maths
AS FM
AS Physics
AS History
A2 Economics

I doesn't seen that bad just a hard year of work with few free periods.

Then the next year I would only be doing:

A2 Maths
A2 FM
A2 Physics
A2 History
and as for economics will be completed

I think this is what I will be doing what do you think of an application to LSE and oxbridge with:

Maths
FM
Physics
History
Economics

AND

AS Law and Business

Seems like a good offer?

Latest

Trending

Trending