The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The people who get to grammar schools get an excellent quality of education, by banning them you take that away from the pupils to no discernible benefit to the quality of your education. You'd be dragging down standards, lets be honest, pretty much out of envy.

Edit: Also I went to a comp, I hardly think we're lef with nothing, to say so is ridiculous. Indeed my experiences there reinforce my belief in grammar schools.
They were banned earlier today. Check BBC news.
Oh, boohoo. I suppose you want private schools banned as well because it's just so, so unfair. My heart bleeds.
I go to a grammar school and to be honest, I think many comprehensives I know have much better education
My school is going so downhill I think the teaching is totally rubbish (some are just substitutes that can;t speak english) and our 6th form is a joke :| !!

So I don't think you should worry too much on it, just work the hardest you can for yourself :smile:
Reply 5
Adrian Veidt
Has the government ever taken action towards this, just wondering?

Of course governments have acted. You are aware that grammar schools only exist in a small number of areas in the country and their numbers are nowere near what they were 50 years ago?

In the 50/60s the Government of the time (I think it was Labour) moved to the secondary modern/comprehensive type of education and the 11+ began to be scrapped and old grammar usually became secondary modern comprehensives.

This policy as been followed by many of the Governments who followed with the number of grammar schools falling steadily and existent in most regions of the country, especially traditional Labour areas. They haven't been any grammar schools in my area for 50 years. The grammar school my grandfather attended became a rather poor comprehensive. There are no state grammars, anyway, obviously still indepedent fee paying (so private) schools with the "grammar" name.

This policy has been met with great opposition from both Tory and Labour backbenchers. Some of the Labour backbenchers in particularly benefited from the grammar school system and the social mobility it's said to encourage.

As far as I understand it, this present Labour government has kept a policy of self-determination, leaving it up to parents to decide whether or not they should keep grammars in the very small areas where they still exist. As far as I'm aware, only a couple of referendums have taken place (where it was decided to keep the schools). I may be wrong.

Whatever the rights or wrongs of grammar schools, there'll always be inequality in education. Private/independent schools are those able to take many of the best staff, resources and small class sizes. Faith schools often perform better than their secular state counterparts due to a number of reasons (including, it is said, their ethos). I've known some to go as far as suggesting faith schools are just grammar schools in disguise, even though there's one important difference (grammars select their students on ability, state faith schools often don't).
Reply 6
Adrian Veidt
Grammar schools pick the best teachers, pupils and facilities leaving the comps with nothing, it's unfair for the average pupil who wants to do well like me and many other pupils across the country.

Will grammar schools ever get banned? Has the government ever taken action towards this, just wondering?

They only "pick" the best pupils. They are state schools too and receive the same money from the government so their teachers receive the same pay and they have just as much money for facilities as any other school.

:facepalm:
aeiou81
They only "pick" the best pupils. They are state schools too and receive the same money from the government so their teachers receive the same pay and they have just as much money for facilities as any other school.

:facepalm:

I'm thinking the OP may be mixing grammar schools up with private schools or something.
Reply 8
I go to a grammar school and I honestly don't think there's a very big advantage. A lot of the teachers are in fact useless although there are a few gems- I remember there was one case in which the school decided to hire a physics teacher who was 'the worst candidate' but was also prepared to accept lower pay. And the facilities are pathetic because there's no government funding for grammar schools, or very little so i'm told. I'm under the impression that the only reason the school performs well is because of its selective nature.
Reply 9
Adrian Veidt
Grammar schools pick the best teachers, pupils and facilities leaving the comps with nothing, it's unfair for the average pupil who wants to do well like me and many other pupils across the country.

Will grammar schools ever get banned? Has the government ever taken action towards this, just wondering?

Hopefully never. Maybe the next government will expand the grammar system, thereby removing this (publicly perceived) problem of kids being able to get a better education by paying in the private sector. Once there are enough state schools that are as good as the private ones, people might stop cribbing about inequality and realise that there is no point in dumbing everyone down to the level of the least intelligent.
Reply 10
Adrian Veidt

Life is an unfair business. I mean you're in the UK; think how much better off you are than the entire populace of somewhere like Africa.
Reply 11
I think grammar schools should be banned as well. I failed my 11+ and so went to a crap school. I don't think that's fair IMO that other people can go to grammars whereas I couldn't.
I've been at both Grammar and Comprehensive schools.
From my experience the teaching at the Comp was WAY better than at the Grammar, it's just that you are surrounded by students of higher ambition and intellect at Grammar schools, which gives you more motivation.

I don't see why people from Comps whinge so much anyway, you're more likely to get into Oxbridge so take your bitterness elsewhere.
I went to a horrible comp for my secondary education and still did well enough to get into a grammar school for my a-levels. What this illustrates is that even if your claims that they take all the best resources are true, its not the be all and end all of every woeful student who passes through their gates. When I transferred to the grammar school for my a-levels, I just found it easier to carry on with what I was doing to survive the comprehensive. The teachers seemed to actually be interested in your studies and were far more enthusiastic about their subjects. Such teachers are not the sole property of grammar schools though, just some comps have less than others. I'm all for grammar schools, I may have failed the 11-plus but studying my a-levels at one helped me greatly later in life. I think all pupils around the country should have the chance to go to one if they want to and are willing to do the work required.

As for all the sob stories about children being crushed by failing the entry tests/11-plus; boo-*******-hoo.
Don't you mean when will the grammar school system be hugely expanded? :awesome:
caroline147
Don't you mean when will the grammar school system be hugely expanded? :awesome:
Someone had to say it!

Also OP STFU whining.
jburdett
I think grammar schools should be banned as well. I failed my 11+ and so went to a crap school. I don't think that's fair IMO that other people can go to grammars whereas I couldn't.
Well its because you're a. ) poor b. ) stupid so you don't really deserve to go to a comprehensive, let alone a grammar, school.
Reply 17
Adrian Veidt

Wow - that is a very negative thought process. You should wish COMP with similar teaching stds as Grammer and or private schools.
Reply 18
mm someone has a chip on their shoulder.
Reply 19
Agrippa
Hopefully never. Maybe the next government will expand the grammar system, thereby removing this (publicly perceived) problem of kids being able to get a better education by paying in the private sector. Once there are enough state schools that are as good as the private ones, people might stop cribbing about inequality and realise that there is no point in dumbing everyone down to the level of the least intelligent.

ditto, ditto, ditto

Latest

Trending

Trending