Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know when applying to universities Hobbies are pretty important.
    This probably sounds really sad, but i don't have any
    I'm not a sporting or artistic person. I've never had the opportunity to develop any musical ability either
    I blame my parents partly as they never encouraged outside school interests because they weren't aware of their importance...
    What to do?

ReputationRep:
    go out and get some hobbies!
    and quick b4 u send the application form or wotever it is u need em 4. alternativly u cud make them up, then research them a bit, then in the interview or wotever u will still no a bit about each thing, if u get wot i mean .You must have some though! didnt u do any wen u were younger? just say them.

ReputationRep:
    Well, through the magic of Soyouwanna.com, you can fake / learn all kinds of abilities and hobbies. For example, piloting aeroplanes, skydiving, rock climbing, mah-jong, antique-doll collecting, the list goes on!

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/categories/games.html

ReputationRep:
    If you are a dishonest person you could make some up -- the admissions tutors aren't going to check up on you, unless you need to go for interview in which case you may be questioned on them.

However if you are honest (and it is surely better to be) get some extra-curric done quickly.

Having said that, I have often doubted whether universities really care that much -- they have so many applications to look through that if I were an admissions tutor I would look at GCSEs and A2 predictions, and the reference, and maybe only have a glance at the personal statement....

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you aren't counting some of your more obvious interests as hobbies? Almost any interest out of school can be classed as a hobby. If you don't have time to take up sports or some other diversion, you can focus on your academic achievements in your personal statement and interviews instead.

But don't worry too much about them. Not everyone who applies to university is some kind of all-round sportsman/musician/artist, and universities won't necessary view a lack of these interests as a reason for dismissing you - after all, why should they choose someone with a huge list of hobbies and a less favorable academic record than you?

ReputationRep:
    just show what you can do and like to do. they dont necessarily look for people who can play and instrument and not everyone can. i cant
    and i have dont things outside school before but nothing for ages and i didnt know what to write... but i got the hang of it and just put down things i maybe dont do now but would like to do.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2003
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.