The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 1
Macbooks are expensive. You'd get the same functionality with Windows at a fraction of the price.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Lies, Macbook kicks ass. I just got a Mac a few months ago, and it's been amazing and making my other friends wanna get one. My boyfriend's put his Windows on Ebay actually hahaha. Like yeah it's expensive but it's worth the money if you make use of the things on the laptop.. so I would suggest it more for art-oriented people that would use things like GarageBand and things like that. But I'd still suggest it to anyone :P It has a good support system, you get 100 off for being a student, and because the machine is made by the same people as the software, it's more compatible and less likely to break. Pre-installed anti-virus system, and so so so much easier to use.
Reply 3
All major university networks support Windows XP/Vista, OS X usually 10.5 or later, and some distros of Linux to at least some extent. Obviously since Windows is the most popular OS you will have the greatest support/availability of resources; if you are really concerned buy a MacBook and bootcamp with Windows. I personally don't recommend Macs for their ridiculously over-inflated price, at times mediocre support and pompous aura which is associated with Mac ownership/Apple workers (who the hell calls their support services in a shop Genius Bar when they can't diagnose a simple RAM fault).
Reply 4
EpsilonZero
Single or double glazed?

You're real funny.

Anyway, OP, it is perfectly compatible, I haven't had any issues because I use a Mac, and I study at Warwick.
Reply 6
Jingers
Macs are for people who can't use a real computer and want to pay extortionate prices for a fashion icon that is 'sexy'.

Haha...if only that were the truth. I have a mac as my main computer but also have 2 windows ones. I use both (as do a lot of people I know)...however if i were to give a mac to anyone, it would take some working out.

Both have advantages and disadvatages (hence me having both) - and I bought it for the OS, not the "fashion icon"

Jingers
Jam a macbook up your arse to see if you get turned on. :smile:
Nope...did nothing for me! Well...hurt a LOT
I dunno exactly what you're asking but, as far as opening documents and things, using internet. I can't think of anything you can't do on a Mac opening Windows documents. you may need to download some stuff when you first get it but its a half an hour install when you first get it kind of thing, all free. How do you think us Mac users survive?
Oh my god, every time someone mentions they want a mac you get people who just can't accept it. Jeez, why can't you just stick to your own thing and not care about anyone else's?

Childish fanboys, just accept that people like other products.

Anyway, I don't know about other stuff, but for documents and stuff, get iWork as office documents work with it, and you can safe files as office documents as well (same as office for mac but imo iWork is superior).
Reply 9
If you want one and you can afford one then get one. I've had no problems over the last 2 years.
Reply 10
Argos have a Macbook for £460, however in most stores it is out of stock.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5080324/Trail/searchtext%3EMACBOOK.htm
Is it a good laptop for this price?
Reply 11
It's pretty good, it's about what I'd expect to pay for an equivalent Windows laptop. The reason for the price cut is that it has been superceded so yeah, if you do find one it's probably a good buy. However, this isn't particularly on-topic, hopefully the OP has had their question answered satisfactorily.

Latest

Trending

Trending