The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

KarenC.
I want college hall! haha
Btw, did anybody get an acknowledgment email after submitting the online form for intercollegiate halls?

Yes, a few days after..

"Dear Student,

Your application for a place at the University Residences is now being
considered and we are trying to arrange for you to have a
place in one of the Intercollegiate Halls for the academic year 2009/10.

If you are still interested in this, please complete and submit the
online form at www.lse.ac.uk/accommodation/accept/IC_provisional.htm
within fourteen days.

If we do not hear from you we shall assume that you no longer require a
place in accommodation.

Kind regards,
LSE Accommodation Office
"
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 981
Stex Bomb
Yes, a few days after..

"Dear Student,

Your application for a place at the University Residences is now being
considered and we are trying to arrange for you to have a
place in one of the Intercollegiate Halls for the academic year 2009/10.

If you are still interested in this, please complete and submit the
online form at www.lse.ac.uk/accommodation/accept/IC_provisional.htm
within fourteen days.

If we do not hear from you we shall assume that you no longer require a
place in accommodation.

Kind regards,
LSE Accommodation Office
"

err I think he/she means an acknowledgement after filling out the online form in that link.
edward27
err I think he/she means an acknowledgement after filling out the online form in that link.

ahh. well i haven't got anything since that.
Well I got this emial from LSE on 06/05/09:

"We have been informed today by Intercollegiate Halls of Residence that has been a delay in processing your application due to some unforeseen technical issues. They expect to be able to contact you in the next couple of weeks, but if there are any further delays, we will let you know via email.

Your details are already with them and your space in Intercollegiate Halls is guaranteed. Please accept our apologies for the delay in the process. We have been assured that it will be solved shortly, but if you have any other queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Isabel Bibian

LSE Accommodation Office"

Guess I'm definately going IC then, really want to get College, but don't mind my other choices (Connaught and International, from what I remember!)
Reply 984
i put down that i wanted a single room at roseberry and have been given a twin at carr saunders, i doubt anyone will swap to a twin?
Reply 985
Why do people prefer LSE to IC halls?
illy123
Why do people prefer LSE to IC halls?

in short, there are more lse people in lse halls. we tend to have more friends, a better time, and more of a feeling of belonging to lse.

in some halls there are something stupid like 10-15 lse students in the entireeeee hall. thats a small circle of immediate friends, especially if you consider the amouint that will lock themselves away...

also, IC halls arent connected to the LSE network, which is annoying, apparently for geography students, as they cant access the mapping programmes they need for their courses, which are only found on lse computers. dunno about other courses requiring lse specific computer software. all well and good saying "library", but you try and find a computer there, plus it's the inconvenience of not having it in your room...

plus, universities tend to *stick* together, ive heard, from people i know at IC. you dont really make friends with people from other unis, but this may only be specific to people i know in IC.
running_with_scissors
Well I got this emial from LSE on 06/05/09:

"We have been informed today by Intercollegiate Halls of Residence that has been a delay in processing your application due to some unforeseen technical issues. They expect to be able to contact you in the next couple of weeks, but if there are any further delays, we will let you know via email.

Your details are already with them and your space in Intercollegiate Halls is guaranteed. Please accept our apologies for the delay in the process. We have been assured that it will be solved shortly, but if you have any other queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Isabel Bibian

LSE Accommodation Office"

Guess I'm definately going IC then, really want to get College, but don't mind my other choices (Connaught and International, from what I remember!)

Haha, my choices are the same as yours - College as preference :smile: Buuut a few weeks later = June? :confused:

lizzierocks
we tend to have more friends, a better time, and more of a feeling of belonging to lse.

Lol, you're generalizing too much... you might end up in a hall full of Asians like me that just locks themselves away. :p: But yeah, probably the feeling of belonging to the school is most important. I don't mind that too much, I'll find ways to bond in and outside school, I guess!
Reply 988
lizzierocks
in short, there are more lse people in lse halls. we tend to have more friends, a better time, and more of a feeling of belonging to lse.

in some halls there are something stupid like 10-15 lse students in the entireeeee hall. thats a small circle of immediate friends, especially if you consider the amouint that will lock themselves away...

also, IC halls arent connected to the LSE network, which is annoying, apparently for geography students, as they cant access the mapping programmes they need for their courses, which are only found on lse computers. dunno about other courses requiring lse specific computer software. all well and good saying "library", but you try and find a computer there, plus it's the inconvenience of not having it in your room...

plus, universities tend to *stick* together, ive heard, from people i know at IC. you dont really make friends with people from other unis, but this may only be specific to people i know in IC.

What would the difference be between making friends with a roommate who is say a LSE Law student or one who does Medicine at UCL? Surely I won't see either outside of accommodation anyway doing Economics (unless it's the small probability that they do my course). Or am I missing something? Why would people care about only making friends with people at teh same uni if, chances are, they will never meet up with them at uni but will do at various clubs, events, etc
the_enchantress
Haha, my choices are the same as yours - College as preference :smile: Buuut a few weeks later = June? :confused:

Lol, you're generalizing too much... you might end up in a hall full of Asians like me that just locks themselves away. :p: But yeah, probably the feeling of belonging to the school is most important. I don't mind that too much, I'll find ways to bond in and outside school, I guess!

Great minds think alike! :p: Yeah I'm hoping we'll find out June, the wait is annoying though 'cos I can't get excited about my accomodation!

I'm not too fussed whether they are 'LSE people' or 'other uni people'. All I care about is there being decent people to have fun with. Besides, sticking with LSE people won't let you experience all of London! Real life is varied!
illy123
What would the difference be between making friends with a roommate who is say a LSE Law student or one who does Medicine at UCL? Surely I won't see either outside of accommodation anyway doing Economics (unless it's the small probability that they do my course). Or am I missing something? Why would people care about only making friends with people at teh same uni if, chances are, they will never meet up with them at uni but will do at various clubs, events, etc

thats the thing though, as el mariachi said, you do things like chill with them when you've got 4hours between lectures and it is too painful to go back to halls... This is SO much better than getting glared at by some idiot in the library for blinking. Also, when you are with friends in the library then it makes it so much less painful than it would be if youre sat on your own. And don't think you'll be graced with a decent timetable. Nothing at LSE regarding any sort of timetable is decent. At the start of the year I said that I'd use my god awful breaks to do classwork in the library, but naturally it turned into 40 minutes, then coffee and dossing. having solid lse halls friends helps. you see more people around campus that you can either tag along with or go for coffee with, or have a planned meeting with. With, as you've suggested, UCL, that person who may be awesome and you get along with, will naturally do the same as you, find uni friends and then go with them, from classes etc, as you will. It's natural to split into what's common to you. And it'll suck because you'll have a very small friend circle close to you, especially if your other friends are in, say, rosebery or saunders. though saunders is quite close to some of the russell squareish halls i guess.

And, like i said, universities tend to stick together. Unis like Kings, as far as I know, use IC more than LSE. As LSE has *pretty* much enough accommodation for everyone that wants it, coupled with its size (in comparison to other UOL institutions), it means that the amount of students in IC is ridiculous. So, in effect, it is clear that you have to try much harder to make friends. Ie, actually talk to your classmates outside of class/join the AU/join heaps of societies in order to get in there. At LSE halls, you can literally make friends straight away. I'm useless and managed to have friends by the end of the day!

so in short you do meet with them at uni, all the time. it makes the time go alot faster, and you can vary your meetage with other people, and youve actually got people to harass when youre at halls, instead of your computer keyboard. and i doubt very much that youll do events / go drinking with them, cos theyll go their way and youll go more. your friend group is *generally* smaller because of the amount of people youve met at halls, and is normally restricted to some not-so-geeky econ friends who actually exist outside of LSE and drink alcohol/are reasonably sociable/leave their rooms.

Also, id advise anyone to chat to people on the facebook group before starting. one of my most awesome friends comes from chatting on facebook with her before uni started! It's good to sort of put yourself out there a bit and find common ground with people, ie in your halls/on your course.

Also, just a general thing. I'm moving back into Carr-Saunders next year so if anyone has any questions about its general awesomeness then please feel free to message me about it ill be honest, honest!!!!

Or LSE in general, for that matter. Just no questions about grades. I dont care, and neither should you ::smile::p:

oh, and this post is only so long because ive been up all night revising and im bored of it, and have knocked over all my work onto the floor which i now have to pick up and re order. great.
Reply 991
lizzierocks
thats the thing though, as el mariachi said, you do things like chill with them when you've got 4hours between lectures and it is too painful to go back to halls... This is SO much better than getting glared at by some idiot in the library for blinking. Also, when you are with friends in the library then it makes it so much less painful than it would be if youre sat on your own. And don't think you'll be graced with a decent timetable. Nothing at LSE regarding any sort of timetable is decent. At the start of the year I said that I'd use my god awful breaks to do classwork in the library, but naturally it turned into 40 minutes, then coffee and dossing. having solid lse halls friends helps. you see more people around campus that you can either tag along with or go for coffee with, or have a planned meeting with. With, as you've suggested, UCL, that person who may be awesome and you get along with, will naturally do the same as you, find uni friends and then go with them, from classes etc, as you will. It's natural to split into what's common to you. And it'll suck because you'll have a very small friend circle close to you, especially if your other friends are in, say, rosebery or saunders. though saunders is quite close to some of the russell squareish halls i guess.

And, like i said, universities tend to stick together. Unis like Kings, as far as I know, use IC more than LSE. As LSE has *pretty* much enough accommodation for everyone that wants it, coupled with its size (in comparison to other UOL institutions), it means that the amount of students in IC is ridiculous. So, in effect, it is clear that you have to try much harder to make friends. Ie, actually talk to your classmates outside of class/join the AU/join heaps of societies in order to get in there. At LSE halls, you can literally make friends straight away. I'm useless and managed to have friends by the end of the day!

so in short you do meet with them at uni, all the time. it makes the time go alot faster, and you can vary your meetage with other people, and youve actually got people to harass when youre at halls, instead of your computer keyboard. and i doubt very much that youll do events / go drinking with them, cos theyll go their way and youll go more. your friend group is *generally* smaller because of the amount of people youve met at halls, and is normally restricted to some not-so-geeky econ friends who actually exist outside of LSE and drink alcohol/are reasonably sociable/leave their rooms.

Also, id advise anyone to chat to people on the facebook group before starting. one of my most awesome friends comes from chatting on facebook with her before uni started! It's good to sort of put yourself out there a bit and find common ground with people, ie in your halls/on your course.

Also, just a general thing. I'm moving back into Carr-Saunders next year so if anyone has any questions about its general awesomeness then please feel free to message me about it ill be honest, honest!!!!

Or LSE in general, for that matter. Just no questions about grades. I dont care, and neither should you ::smile::p:

oh, and this post is only so long because ive been up all night revising and im bored of it, and have knocked over all my work onto the floor which i now have to pick up and re order. great.

Thanks for the detailed response :smile: Although not what I wanted to hear :frown:

Do you think I will be able to sway my IC room for an LSE room?
VarunBhanot
I have a SINGLE at HIGH HOLBORN.
Want to switch for BANKSIDE room.

Please message me or email: [email protected]
Thanks
V x

I'll swap you for Sidney Webb En-suite?

Didn't think so.......
hi im quite clueless about lse accommodation. may i know if its possible to fix who you want to share a room with for twin rooms? my friend and i are possibly heading to lse together
illy123
Thanks for the detailed response :smile: Although not what I wanted to hear :frown:

Do you think I will be able to sway my IC room for an LSE room?

Well it's not the end of the world, one of my friends who is IC has loads of friends cos she joined the rugby team :smile:.

It's just your friend group will be smaller, it's fine, dont panic tooooo much! *Everyone* finds friends, its natural, just put yourself out there and they will come! we had some random IC guy just walk up to us last year after the initial talk and we got chatting for agesss!

Dunno about swapping, all you have to do is try if you want to.

Dont go Sydney Webb though, I know not of one person who has a good time there. Some guy got mugged pretty badly this year. it wasnt a nice sight:frown:. He stood up at the UGM cos he wanted more to be done about halls security seeing as it was done pretty much outside the door (apparently)
flowersarepink
hi im quite clueless about lse accommodation. may i know if its possible to fix who you want to share a room with for twin rooms? my friend and i are possibly heading to lse together

i think on the sharing forms, you can put someone you want to live with, or so i heard last year. my friend and her boyfriend share a room in bankside :smile:
Reply 996
lizzierocks
Well it's not the end of the world, one of my friends who is IC has loads of friends cos she joined the rugby team :smile:.

It's just your friend group will be smaller, it's fine, dont panic tooooo much! *Everyone* finds friends, its natural, just put yourself out there and they will come! we had some random IC guy just walk up to us last year after the initial talk and we got chatting for agesss!

Dunno about swapping, all you have to do is try if you want to.

Dont go Sydney Webb though, I know not of one person who has a good time there. Some guy got mugged pretty badly this year. it wasnt a nice sight:frown:. He stood up at the UGM cos he wanted more to be done about halls security seeing as it was done pretty much outside the door (apparently)

Thanks.

I am keen to join clubs based on my interests: Weightlifting, running, cycling, rock-climbing, photography, and maybe write for Rationale (economics articles)

Sigh ... should've gone Cambridge. Wasn't counting on getting crap accommodation.
El Mariachi
Mate, I live in Cambridge, and trust me, it's ****...and compared with London, it's even *******.

Agree with this. There is nothing to to over here. Fez is the highlight!
Reply 998
running_with_scissors
Agree with this. There is nothing to to over here. Fez is the highlight!

I picked LSE partly because I wanted the awesome nightlife (and a few other reasons) ... I thought I would get CS, Roseberry and have a good social life.

Alas being stuck in IC might take its toll.
illy123
I picked LSE partly because I wanted the awesome nightlife (and a few other reasons) ... I thought I would get CS, Roseberry and have a good social life.

Alas being stuck in IC might take its toll.

Well, I've picked IC too, and from what I've heard they can end up being better, socially, than LSE halls because other unis don't have that stigma attached to LSE of students staying in and working. People are people right, there will be people who will want to go out. Also it will make crashing KCL events etc. easier I think. Go into it positively and determined to at least make an effort. If it's crap and you've tried, then you can be down about it. That's how I'm thinking about it anyway!

Latest