Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

just wondering what A level philosophy is like now our teachers are asking us to make preliminary choices?

I'm thinking of doing (maybe normal+Further) Maths, Physics, Chemistry and I could do with another subject to give more breadth (as the teachers keep talking about).

I think Philosophy might be good. It makes me look clever, involves lots of thinking and the lack of coursework required might give me a break from the hard work I'd be doing for the "harder" subjects above. (Apparently if I do well in all of them then the universities will want me, that's from a maths teacher)

Anyone know what it's like? I don't want to be changing later on. I suppose I could just do an AS in philosophy and maybe do another AS like psychology (also looks interesting but its science isn't it) in the Upper Sixth.

thanks all, I tried searching on these forums for an already existing post about this but didn't get any meaningful results

Fish

ReputationRep:
    well not all psychology is science. and it will give you wider knowledge
    philosphy would also be good for this. i dont know that much about philosophy but u do need to think for it.

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy would probably go well with your choices, some universities offer joint courses in Maths and Philosophy or Physics and Philosophy so there must be some kind of a cohesion between them.

I don't do Philosophy myself, but from what friends who do tell me I wouldn't say it's easier than average (still plenty of essays to write), but it is apparently interesting and stimulating.

Perhaps you could get an introduction to Philosophy from the library to find out whether you like it?

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy is great, do it. Your science background will help (arguments about the existance of God involve a lot of arguments from Scientists). One of the biggest philosophical debates is that between science and religion- do they have to be in conflict? I can't tell you how much I enjoy philosophy + it is a good AS to have. I also do psychology and I think it is better at A2, although i really enjoy psychology, as an AS I think you will find philosophy more enjoyable.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Hi all,

just wondering what A level philosophy is like now our teachers are asking us to make preliminary choices?

I'm thinking of doing (maybe normal+Further) Maths, Physics, Chemistry and I could do with another subject to give more breadth (as the teachers keep talking about).

I think Philosophy might be good. It makes me look clever, involves lots of thinking and the lack of coursework required might give me a break from the hard work I'd be doing for the "harder" subjects above. (Apparently if I do well in all of them then the universities will want me, that's from a maths teacher)

Anyone know what it's like? I don't want to be changing later on. I suppose I could just do an AS in philosophy and maybe do another AS like psychology (also looks interesting but its science isn't it) in the Upper Sixth.

thanks all, I tried searching on these forums for an already existing post about this but didn't get any meaningful results

Fish

hello! ryt wel iv jst started psychology, if your thinking of taking it just as an as, it might not be that interesting. the reason for this is because the first year is based on actually learning, what it involves, different reseach methods, etc. your not going to get in to a real depth with it unless you go for a full a level. sorry! i know it sounds depressing but hey! u do kindof need to know

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy A-level is absolutely piss easy, but quite respected.

ReputationRep:
    A general stereotype of Philosophy students is: Booooooring!

But Maths and Philosophy are incredibly well related, both require logical thought, and some of the best mathematicians are also the best philosophers, particularly all those Greek ones...

ReputationRep:
    right... different people say different things :confused:

I'll think about it.

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy is well worth doing, its essay based (you may not like that) but still its very stimulating. its very relevant with the other subjects you are doing and you will find links everywere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    Philosophy A-level is absolutely piss easy, but quite respected.
    The exams are fairly routine but to say the subject as a whole is 'piss easy' is unreasonable.

Anyway, you should do philosophy. It will give you some much needed breadth instead of 4 science subjects. Watch out though, you may start to doubt everything your science teachers tell you!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.