Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    HI everyone,
    Can anyone explain 2 me, quickly and simply, in one sentance, wot resistance is?
    Thanx, i need 2 no 4 my gcse cw.
    Thanx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHAD)
    HI everyone,
    Can anyone explain 2 me, quickly and simply, in one sentance, wot resistance is?
    Thanx, i need 2 no 4 my gcse cw.
    Thanx
    resistence is the constant of proportionality between potential difference and current in an ohmic conductor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    resistence is the constant of proportionality between potential difference and current in an ohmic conductor
    I know it's quite simple, but do you think he'll understand that?

ReputationRep:
    Or we could say, more simply, components in a circuit resist the flow of current through them. The greater the resistance, the smaller the current that flows for a particulkar voltage.

R = V/I

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)

It depends for what you wish to use it...

Resistance is anything that slow or stops movement or keeps movement from happening.

For a space ship, resistance will counter the thrust of a rocket and keep the rocket from going as fast as it could. Once the ship is out of the Earth's atmosphere and gravitational pull, resistance will drop off considerably.

Examples of resistance to motion on Earth include: air resistance slowing a parachutist's fall; resistance of friction slowing or stopping a book from sliding across a rug or a desk; and gravity resisting something traveling upwards or keeping something on the ground. There is also electrical resistance, which slows or stops electrical current, often transforming that energy into heat or light.

ReputationRep:
    Dumbed down simply, Resistance is a measure of the opposition to electric current

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.