Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    How on earth could he learn a whole language in a single day?! There are 290,000 words in the largest language dictionaries. This would mean he would have to learn approximatly 3.5 words a second! In addition, he would need to learn all the rules of grammar and sentence structure, etc, and would have to be able to speak the language fluently.
    He could read anything and rcall it instantly.
    --
    What do you all make of this: http://www.angelfire.com/ut/JesusChrist1/iq.html !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Serioulsly flawed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    How on earth could he learn a whole language in a single day?! There are 290,000 words in the largest language dictionaries. This would mean he would have to learn approximatly 3.5 words a second! In addition, he would need to learn all the rules of grammar and sentence structure, etc, and would have to be able to speak the language fluently.
    Yes, but do you know all the words in the English dictionary? Or every grammar rule in the English language? You don't need to know that much to speak a language.

I guess youn are all talking about JWS but never read his biography.
    JWS was severely smart, but problems don't spare smart people. He was merely like a man living among Champinzees ! So, he has really big difficulties to adjust socially. I believe that if he had a normal life, he would have contributed greatly to mankind, more than those president of the US who Boris cited (finally they managed thing as they could and left, and we can't really compare. It is like comparing Einstein with Jordan or Mohammed Ali).
    Unfortunately, JWS was ill-treated by his parents, press and society, that why he prefered to pursue hapiness in his own way.
    And still, I am sure you don't know, he predicted black hole 25 years before anyone else, at the age of 22, while he was doing many things else at the same time. It is certainly 1000 times better than 1000 A's
    Probably, he didn't learn a launguage a day. But somebody's remark about this is not accurate either. If a dictionary contains 290000, even native people don't know half of the vocabulary, and probably use less than 10%. And you can't imagine that some one can read very quickly and remember all what he read.
    Azeddine.

ReputationRep:
    If we make some common assumptions regarding the verbiage used in the most recent communications regarding this estranged genius of topic, I find much of what is said as "intriguing."
    To begin, look closely at how we define "accomplishment" and "contribution." Yes, Einstein is a most marked example of these two items and it would be, relatively speaking, comparing apples to oranges, in a comparison of genius. Society's idea of accomplishment seems only to include that which supports or betters "society"...as it should. However, those of you who said that Sidis accomplished nothing or at very best, question what he accomplished, miss something arguably more important: His Own perception of the world and what HE found useful and interesting. We already know that Sidis was not a fan of society, and quite literally, very near not being a part of it. His concern was that of his own. (This seems ironic considering his interest in politics which is a tool by/for society....increasingly so when we realize one of his greatest passions was paradox...he being a living example.)
    Is not the conistent experiementation and exploration of your own interest not an accomplishment?
    Also, how quick we are to judge a man who, it seems, nobody knew. From what basis do we make this judgement? Our own? How can we judge somebody based on our definition of personal morals? I'm not quoting religion here, just asking for a more objective understanding of somebody who you do not know. Yes, values are completely subjective and judgement is based on that subjectivity; however, is it possible to throw out these "values" and have a discussion about a human anomoly and try to personalize or gain from his misunderstood life?
    Just something to ponder.....I would be very interested in your replies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xiaochou)
    If we make some common assumptions regarding the verbiage used in the most recent communications regarding this estranged genius of topic, I find much of what is said as "intriguing."
    To begin, look closely at how we define "accomplishment" and "contribution." Yes, Einstein is a most marked example of these two items and it would be, relatively speaking, comparing apples to oranges, in a comparison of genius. Society's idea of accomplishment seems only to include that which supports or betters "society"...as it should. However, those of you who said that Sidis accomplished nothing or at very best, question what he accomplished, miss something arguably more important: His Own perception of the world and what HE found useful and interesting. We already know that Sidis was not a fan of society, and quite literally, very near not being a part of it. His concern was that of his own. (This seems ironic considering his interest in politics which is a tool by/for society....increasingly so when we realize one of his greatest passions was paradox...he being a living example.)
    Is not the conistent experiementation and exploration of your own interest not an accomplishment?
    Also, how quick we are to judge a man who, it seems, nobody knew. From what basis do we make this judgement? Our own? How can we judge somebody based on our definition of personal morals? I'm not quoting religion here, just asking for a more objective understanding of somebody who you do not know. Yes, values are completely subjective and judgement is based on that subjectivity; however, is it possible to throw out these "values" and have a discussion about a human anomoly and try to personalize or gain from his misunderstood life?
    *******s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    *******s
    My sentiments exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xiaochou)
    Lobotomies are avaliable on the NHS, now?

ReputationRep:
    poor guy peaked at the age of eight.

ReputationRep:
    At the beginning of the article it says he was born to jewish parents, and then it says that he pronounced himself an atheist, like his father, after hearing extracts of the bible being read out...im confused...how can both his parents be jewish if him and his father were atheists?!

His relationship only progressed to a kissing stage...and claimed women didnt appeal to him...maybe he's gay?! or maybe his brain is so quick at developing it hinders other parts of his body from developing?!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2004
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.