The Student Room Group

Does anyone have a Newfoundland dog?

What are they like as pets? I've heard they're very loyal and friendly. I really want one when I finish uni. They're like little bears :yep:

Scroll to see replies

They are nice dogs, but not a breed I'd recommend if you haven't had a dog before, or if you're inexperienced with dogs, mainly because of their size...if they're not socialized properly or trained properly, then you could end up with serious problems...seen it happen with a Neapolitan Mastiff - lovely dog, but family had no idea how to train it, and it ended up being put to sleep, despite the fact when I trained it it was fine...very frustrating!
Reply 2
Very prone to ear infections/problems.
Reply 3
xwoopwoopx
Very prone to ear infections/problems.

:frown:

What types of problems?
Reply 4
I have two border collies at the moment but one of them is really old+deaf+walking into doors so when she pops, I will be getting a newfoundland. They are sooo cute!!!
Reply 5
The drool would put me off personally. The ones I've seen at dog shows often have bibs to keep them clean :p:
I am reading a book at the moment called A Dog In A Million which is about a Newfoundland - it certainly shows how they could be a very rewarding dog to own, but not at all easy. If I really wanted one I would think to myself, 'There may be all these drawbacks, but if other people can manage owning one, then so can I!'.
They need loaaaads of food and exercise! And grooming! My neighbour has one, and it barks all the time...plus needs to be 'shorn' in the summer months haha
hi there :smile:

I have worked with a lot of this breed of dog :smile: they are amazing when trained well.

The Newfoundland is a large breed of dog. They are known for their sweet dispositions, loyalty, and natural water rescue tendencies. The Newfoundland dog excels at water rescue, due partly to their webbed feet and acute swimming abilities. Newfoundland dogs require grooming at least once per week (and frequently more often). They are extremely loving and patient, and Newfoundland puppies are laid-back and quite easy to housebreak. When it comes to physical strength, this breed is thought to be the strongest!
The experience i have had with them is that the breed has a sweet temper. They are often referred to as the "gentle giant." They have deep barks, are pretty easy to train, are fine guardians and watchdogs, and are extremely good with children.

However, there are several health problems associated with Newfoundlands. Newfoundlands are prone to hip dysplasia (a malformed ball and socket in the hip joint), Elbow dysplasia (a hereditary defect that forms kind of stones in the bladder). Another genetic problem is SAS (where an abnormal tissue creates an obstruction that the heart has to overcome to pump blood to the body. This makes the heart work harder than normal) SAS can cause sudden death at an early age.

So i would say if you want the love and loyalty from the "gentle giant" then i would only say you should get one if you have the time as these dogs will require a lot of grooming, excercise and training (especially as a puppy!!) also if you can afford it financially as they will cost a lot to feed and could possibly cost a lot in vet bills :smile:

Hope this helps ,,

Skye.
Reply 8
Don't have one, but they're pretty awesome... :biggrin:
Reply 9
My Uncle has one, a rescue who he got at 2 years old. He is lovely, but they are very, very big and strong dogs, you have to have your wits about you to train them right. My golden retriever still jumps, but is only 8 months old, but if he jumps at me (I'm 5'9 and 10 1/2 stone) he can really make me trip, and that's not even running at me!
My best friend has one, looks exactly like the one in that pic shes called Millie.
Lovely dog, shes soft as anything and loves to cuddle up to you but she stinks because her fur gets so long, shes always panting and shes always drooling too
I absolutely love Newfoundlands, but I probably wouldn't buy one because I wouldn't like the drooling and I can imagine they'd shed a LOT too, so you'd have to be prepared to sacrifice a nice clean home for them! I want a Leonberger - they are similar in appearance to a Newfie, but they don't drool or moult as much. I would love to have one!

Reply 12
I own a Newfie... she is called Blackberry Bear. She is absolutely beautiful, clever, faithful and fun. She does not cost a lot to keep in food [Chappie dry food]. She doesn't drool a lot unless she goes on a long, long walk. Wouldn't be without her. She's the best.:smile:
Reply 13
I have a newf, he is 2 in a couple of days and is a fantastic dog and i would never own another breed now. He is so loyal is absolutly amazing with my son and is so laid back. Unlike the neoploitan mastiff they are alot easier to train as they are not a guarding dog there alot more mellow and a very good all round dog aslong as you have the time to walk brush daily and spend lots of time with. As for feeding i feed miune 500grams of burns a day (high quality food) a cheaper food you will need to feed alot more of. My newf weighs about 65kgs and isnt done growing yet.

Fantastic dogs xx
Reply 14
My fave breed along with bull terriers! Lots of firm training, grooming and space needed! I used to look after one called Hugo.
Reply 15
hi yes we have a newfoundland dog she is like a baby to us if there is anything that you would like to know about them give me a shout and will try and answer your questions
Reply 16
newfoundlands are very very easy to train there will do this in there own time thou you never have to be firm with them as there will go back over with simply commands
Definitely we have a six month old bear pup called mac
I've had quite a few!! They are beautiful dogs with huge hearts....real Gentle Giants. I have also rescued quite a few, which has sometimes been heartbreaking.
Original post by Nick_000
What are they like as pets? I've heard they're very loyal and friendly. I really want one when I finish uni. They're like little bears :yep:

I have had quite a few!

Quick Reply

Latest