The Student Room Group

Non-fad. diets please

Ok... I've decided to go on a diet. For two reasons really. One to lose a bit of weight (i'm 9 and half stone so I'm not over weight) and two, just to be healthier.

Now the problem is that I would like to find a book/web site that has recipes for simple healthy meals. I don't want to spending a fortune on types of lettuce that grow in the amazon or milk from camels etc... None of the daft stuff. Also I don't want to have to spend hours cooking.

All contributions are greatfully welcomed... :biggrin:
Reply 1
I've never heard of any diet where you eat Amazon lettuce and drink camel milk... :p:

*Drink lots of water
*Eat 5 portions of fruit/vegetables a day
*Mildly diminish your calorie intake
*Don't eat obvious fattening foods (too often)
*Exercise several times a week

I was sent a weightloss magazine today...I think that's a hint of some kind, not that I didn't realise already... :rolleyes:
milk from a camel is quite fatty/creamy.

MB
No Future
I've never heard of any diet where you eat Amazon lettuce and drink camel milk... :p:

*Drink lots of water
*Eat 5 portions of fruit/vegetables a day
*Mildly diminish your calorie intake
*Don't eat obvious fattening foods (too often)
*Exercise several times a week

I was sent a weightloss magazine today...I think that's a hint of some kind, not that I didn't realise already... :rolleyes:
This is all the right stuff! Stick with this and you will definately have your 2nd objective sorted! *thumbs up*

I do am tryin to eat healthier, to just well, be more healthy and to loose weughtf or when I go on holiday and just generally. I am not overweight either; I weigh approximately 8 and a half stone.
Reply 4
musicboy
milk from a camel is quite fatty/creamy.

MB

Ok

I don't actually know about anything like that I was being silly... :rolleyes:
MissisKate
Ok

I don't actually know about anything like that I was being silly... :rolleyes:

ok. Sorry for taking you literally. I shall take you figuratively in the future.

MB
Reply 6
The GI diet that everyone seems to be going on about seems to make sense.
It works on the principal that you eat foods which release enrgy slowly, so you feel hungry less often and your metabolism ajusts to it. Or something.
Basically, eat porridge, lots and lots of fruit and veg, lots of water, lots of wholewheat stuff. Fish and lean meat, no caffeine or things high in fat and sugar.
Seems relatively straightforward.
Reply 7
Fibre, lotsa fibre...feels you up and is healthy - but you need to drink lots of water too! It's one of the principles of the GI diet. Basically switch from white to wholemeal - wholemeal bread, wholemeal pasta (tastes no different IMO), bran flakes/all bran, wholemeal pitta etc etc.
Reply 8
i think my advice is certainly abolish fatty foods and exercsie. I used have chips everyday for school lunch but instead i just had a sandwich or pasta, and with a bit of exercise too i went from 81kg to 70 in a few months!, just keep at it and certainly no chocs ok cakes!!
Reply 9
Weight Watchers. I would really reccommend it. My mum was on it, and lost loads of weight and was just generally much more healtheir. So I decided to have a go aswell, not going to the meetings, just following the "Points" system, and it worked really well. I went down from a size 12 to a size 10 pretty quickly and have maintained it for ages now through general healthy eating and tips I picked up form WW :smile:
Reply 10
MissisKate
Ok... I've decided to go on a diet. For two reasons really. One to lose a bit of weight (i'm 9 and half stone so I'm not over weight) and two, just to be healthier.

Now the problem is that I would like to find a book/web site that has recipes for simple healthy meals. I don't want to spending a fortune on types of lettuce that grow in the amazon or milk from camels etc... None of the daft stuff. Also I don't want to have to spend hours cooking.

If you don't have much fat to shift, there's not a great deal of point in changing your diet that much. Just cutting out a few of the things that you know are bad for you will make a difference; junk food and any other excessively fatty things.

By far the best way to be healthier and in slightly better trim is to exercise. I don't know why people get so obsessed with dieting when it is not the easiest way to acheive what you want.

I have had to move my body weight a couple of stone in both directions (sporting reasons), and dieting was just not the way to do it. Even if you're not big on exercise, walking some places you used to drive, and swimming a couple of times a week will make a huge difference.

If you are more of an exercise happy person, go for a swim most days. It makes a big difference to the tone of your body, and an even bigger one to how it works on the inside.
Reply 11
By far the best 'diet' even though its not really a diet is the gillian mckeith one. I would recommend you buy the 'you are what you eat' book and cookbook. Absolutely great! and its not a diet, its a way of life. A much healthier way of life which ive been on for about 2 months. Ive shifted some weight, have so much more energy etc etc. (Gillian McKeith is the woman off 'you are what you eat' the program on channel 4)
Reply 12
MissisKate

eat less food than your body uses
Reply 13
theres no advice you need
just don't eat bad food
don't eat sweets, cakes, deep fried stuff, chocolate, stick to 3 meals a day youll be fine

there is nothing people can say if you don't have the willpower

Latest

Trending

Trending