The Student Room Group

do you have better career prospects just because you went to a university in london?

Hi

London having all the links with employers, does that mean graduates have better or improved career prospects

say a business management graduate, graduating from city university london as opposed to nottingham university, the latter has a better reputation but the former is in london....
No.
No.
Reply 3
No.
Yes.
Reply 5
no
Reply 6
yes
Reply 7
yes if you're going into finance esp, even though curently the economy is not going the right ways
I'd guess It depends what you study...
Reply 9
nah
I'll give a balanced, or Sir Humphrey answer: yes and no.
Reply 11
No.
Reply 12
No, but it mostly depends what you study.
I hope not - hopefully studying English literature in Leicester and (possibly) going into journalism after post grad qualification....where that will be I don't know.

I looked at universities in London but did not like them much (and it was a bit close to home :ninja:)
Reply 14
London isn't the be all and end all. You can have a good career elsewhere.
It shouldn't do, but I suppose it depends on what you're studying. My mates are going to Westminster to study TV broadcasting, which is basically one of the best places to go for that course...when speaking to someone who works for TV, they said most of them are Westminster graduates.

But I'm not sure about other courses.
Reply 16
Pork Pie.
probably not in the city vs nottingham case,
but maybe if you were talking LSE/UCL/KCL vs warwick or something?

I think if you get a good degree from a top 10 uni then the uni will have recruitment fairs anyway, and you don't have to be on an employer's doorstep to apply for a job there! =]
Yes.
I'd imagine employers cared more about your degree class and the general calibre of the uni.

I mean, it's not like London Met or UEL grads are going to give graduates from Oxford/Cambridge/ Durham/ Bristol/ Warwick/ (insert good non-London uni here) grads a run for their money under normal circumstances.

Latest

Trending

Trending