ReputationRep:
    Anyone going to Medlink here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikan18)
    Anyone going to Medlink here?
    im goin to medlink

luv steph x

ReputationRep:
    Is that the one at University of Nottingham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .NK)
    Is that the one at University of Nottingham?
    yup

luv steph

ReputationRep:
    I went last yr....was okay I guess.
    I went 2 make sure it was dentistry n not medicine I wanna do, so if ur heart is set on medicine u'll enjoy it.
    LOADS of ppl about!

ReputationRep:
    oooh... I'm a 3rd year medic at Notts so will be still around when you lot are here.

I went on MedSIM a few years ago, but that was held at Sutton Bonnington rather than on the main campus.

ReputationRep:
    I went last year too - it was quite enjoyable but if you can't afford it (because it is a rip off) don't worry about it, it is by no means necessary. You get to meet loads of people which is fun and the lessons outside lectures (I think there's one called 'clinical skills' or something) are great for having a laugh. Good nightlife at Nottingham, my accomodation was fantastic (Cavendish) but the food was rank so definitely take food or resort to eating sandwiches from the union shop at meal times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    I went last year too - it was quite enjoyable but if you can't afford it (because it is a rip off) don't worry about it, it is by no means necessary. You get to meet loads of people which is fun and the lessons outside lectures (I think there's one called 'clinical skills' or something) are great for having a laugh. Good nightlife at Nottingham, my accomodation was fantastic (Cavendish) but the food was rank so definitely take food or resort to eating sandwiches from the union shop at meal times

oh yeah...it was a rip off! n i dont recommend the oxbridge interview (loong story, but it turned out so crap that they refunded me). wat group were u in? i was yellow n stayed in cripps hall...17th dec +

pathology's gud tho.

and stick to the union shop...

ReputationRep:
    My oxbridge interview was ok, I guess it was good in the sense that you get an idea of what the layout of the interview will be and what sort of questions you'll be asked but yep it wasn't really worth the money

I was in the red group, cavendish hall (fantastic rooms-all ensuited with nice showers! One of my friends there even got her own kitchen as well!). I came during the second set of dates (can't remember the exact dates though).

What did you do in pathology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    My oxbridge interview was ok, I guess it was good in the sense that you get an idea of what the layout of the interview will be and what sort of questions you'll be asked but yep it wasn't really worth the money

I was in the red group, cavendish hall (fantastic rooms-all ensuited with nice showers! One of my friends there even got her own kitchen as well!). I came during the second set of dates (can't remember the exact dates though).

What did you do in pathology?
    Yeah I went during the 2nd set of dates.
    I heard bout ur accomodation...it was the best.
    We got the mankiest ones...the oldest ones....one floow to share a bathroom...a shower with a mind of it's own...u name it.
    But it was the closest to the Hosp, so it was nice 2 laugh @ ppl who had to trudge from near the sports hall in the cold! =p

Pathology was mainly lectures...but it was the way they did...they lead us thru a real case, step by step...it was on Crimewatch Uk and everything. And the pics were gory!!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like pathology was fun! I found the pics in the orthopaedics talk the most gory - not in the sense of loads of blood but just how all the bones bent funny *shudder*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Sounds like pathology was fun! I found the pics in the orthopaedics talk the most gory - not in the sense of loads of blood but just how all the bones bent funny *shudder*.
    do u still wanna be a doc?

yeah...the live surgery was a bit upsetting. wat i didnt understand was that there were a lot of ppl who were fainting or refused to look at the gory stuff and then they say they wanna be docs!

ReputationRep:
    Yep I've applied this year to study medicine. I'm normally pretty good with gory stuff but just all those pictures and video clips of all the broken bones in weird shapes made me cringe! I didn't have a clue what was going on in the live surgery, they spent the whole time just slicing through the tissue to get to the spine, there didn't really seem much point to it

ReputationRep:
    oh ok...wen we saw the live surgery they were hammerin screws in (poor boy must have been in so much pain when he woke) and were puttin in metal rods to physically move the spine.

ReputationRep:
    eek sounds painful - I was surprised at first when I saw the surgeons working because they didn't seem like they were being very careful!

ReputationRep:
    very painful!

yeah they seemed to be chatting along quite a bit, didint they?
    mind u, spending 6 hours standing like that cant b that fun!

ReputationRep:
    True, I don't think I particularly want to go into surgery but then again I don't really have the experience yet to decide what speciality I want to go into!

So you've decided to go for dentistry? My friend also used medlink to decide that medicine was not for her - she's now going for a degree in economics instead! Where have you applied? Quite a few students in my school have applied for dentistry but none have heard back as of yet...

ReputationRep:
    yeah i decided on dentistry quite a while back but it was just to make sure really - plus there isnt any sort of Dentilink - I asked that guy...the organiser...Gary - the inspirational man at the end about it n he said he tried one a few years back but it was cancelled due to last of interest!

ReputationRep:
    Apparently (not 100% sure if this is true) Gary Craven is a bit of a fraud in that he was seen giving a similar 'inspirational' talk on a prospective law student course :confused:

ReputationRep:
    i wudnt call it a fraud, but he does give those speeches n if they work they must b gud.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 17, 2004
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.