This discussion is closed.
Lucy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
To be honest, I found him slightly annoying but then again I found his talks more entertaining than some of the others - and like you said I guess if it works for some than it can't be all that bad.
nabzp
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
lol, what i found funny was the amount of ppl who wrote things to him on the site after medlink - 'gary we love u' etc
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
the whole thing is a big scam really. Admittedly good fun, but an extremely good profit making exercise - as for Gary Craven... He's just a good speaker. To be honest, I don't even believe he's a Dr.
nabzp
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
they must make quite a gud share!
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by joyabbott)
To be honest, I don't even believe he's a Dr.
me neither
DanMushMan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
medlink, med sin, medwhatever are the biggest rip offs in history. They are a complete waste of time, and don't believe anything in the advertising, I'm guessing that schools must be paid something to promote these shambollic courses to their students. Its a complete waste of time.
Will Watson
Report 17 years ago
Oooh, what an interesting little thread. Let's clear a few things up.

(Original post by Lucy)
Apparently (not 100% sure if this is true) Gary Craven is a bit of a fraud in that he was seen giving a similar 'inspirational' talk on a prospective law student course :confused:
Gary had six degrees at last count, medicine and law are just two of them (medicine was at Manchester, dunno about the law one).

Sorry about the costs, there's not much we can do about that - believe it or not, it's all run to a fairly tight budget - but as you can imagine, renting out almost the entire Nottingham campus isn't cheap! Nor is providing every student with their own stethoscope. Last year at medsim I had to commute from Nottingham centre to the Sutton Bonnington campus (about a half hour drive!) every morning just to save a few quid. Only a skeleton staff of a few essential people stayed on campus each night.

A lot of medlink is what you make of it - the chance to meet like-minded people and talk to all the medical students/professionals who are knocking about. And the paradox of course is that the less you know before you arrive, the more you will have gained by the time you leave.

DanMushMan - please slide me a private message as I'm always trying to find people who haven't liked the conferences so we can work on putting things right.
DanMushMan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Will Watson)
DanMushMan - please slide me a private message as I'm always trying to find people who haven't liked the conferences so we can work on putting things right.
done
twiga
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
Apparently (not 100% sure if this is true) Gary Craven is a bit of a fraud in that he was seen giving a similar 'inspirational' talk on a prospective law student course :confused:
thats cos he's a motivational speaker. i found that out yesterday.
jellytotbean
Report 16 years ago
im from kent and im going to medlink, anyone going on the second week?
-G-a-v-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm going on Medlink! - tis gonna be so cool Sounds like it will anyway. I'm not really convinced that I wanna be a medic of any description yet, so I'm using this to help me decide if I do want to do it or not. I'm attended the Oxbridge and the Pathology sessions as well, which should be interesting hopefully.

Hopefully see whoever's going in December - not sure which session I'm going to be at though, college are sorting it all out :cool:
Nicholas
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Gary's a bit of a legend... don't knock 'im!

I went a couple of years ago, I'll cast my mind back! I stayed in Lincoln hall, the room I was in was massive, about twice the size of the Birmingham room I'm in now (and this one's big enough to swing a cat in) but it needed renovating quite badly, I could tell the carpets dated back to 1970s because that's what my carpet looked like in my own home before it got done.

Oxbridge session was pretty useless, they don't tell you anything special in the lectures and the interview is a bit of a joke too. Save your £15 or so and get drunk instead!

There was something else, I can't remember what it's called, I think it might have been Casualty Alert...pretty pointless, not much more than an extremely chaotic drama exercise.

I think one thing where the course really helped was experiencing the university life, having to walk miles to get to lectures on time, realising that if I didn't sit near the front during lectures I'd fall asleep, preparing meals myself so I didn't have to queue up, dealing with 5A fuses, making new friends. That sort of thing. Oh and the medical application advice wasn't that bad either!

Somewhat importantly, it helped me rule out Nottingham as a choice on my UCAS form - especially as it turned out to be massively oversubscribed. It was at Christmas, so the place was a bit of a ghost town, and it all looked pretty miserable. I've already mentioned the state of the accommodation and the kitchens weren't up to much either. On the other hand I do know someone there now and he says it's great, so maybe something's changed.

Anyway whether you lot want to do medicine or not, as I've said it's a great chance for you to experience a bit of the student life and chances are you'll make a few friends along the way, so enjoy! I certainly found the experience worthwhile.

Fluffy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Garry Craven is a fraud - makes out he's a medically qualified Dr, when he isn't!
Nicholas
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't remember hearing that he was even a dr, but then I'm getting old

Fraud or not, he was highly entertaining and served his purpose pretty well at Medlink.
C_K
Report 16 years ago
hey everyone,

what do you all think of medlink? I am going this december but have neva been before. whats it like? i am signed down for the oxbridge thing, pathology and the main course thing. what are they all like? do you actually go through a whole interview??

from C_K
Bilal
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I know some people that went to medlink and supposedly the oxbridge session is a complete waste of money. Don't know about the pathology session though.
James.R
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm going on the criminal law course at Nottingham in December
twiga
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I enjoyed it, as was said before its all what you make of it. The live surgery was a bit scary though . . . too much blood lol
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (556)
50.32%
No (549)
49.68%

Watched Threads