Do nuts count as one of your five a day? Watch

Not Invented Yet
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm trying to eat more fruit and veg and stick to the 5 a day thing - does a handful of almonds count? They grow on trees... they must be some kind of vegetable! :p:
omlette
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No I don't think so. They're quite high in fat tbh. Not even potatoes count toward your 5 a day.
elldee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hah. Ask yourself are they fruits, that'll answer your question?
Not Invented Yet
Rep:
?
Oh, shame. Ah well, off for an apple then. Incidentally, when I saw this in my watched threads list I read it as "nuns". They probably aren't one of my five a day either.
QI Elf
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Not Invented Yet)
I'm trying to eat more fruit and veg and stick to the 5 a day thing - does a handful of almonds count? They grow on trees... they must be some kind of vegetable! :p:
No, they're nut. That is a recognised food group. Vegetables grow on trees? News to me.
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No, they do not count towards your 5-a-day. Nuts are nuts, not vegetables.
Jake22
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The purpose of the 'five-a-day' plan is to get sufficient micronutrients into your diet e.g. vitamins and minerals.

Seeing as most nuts are nutrient rich, to that end, they could be counted as one of your 5 a day.

Almonds, for example, are a good source of several B vitamins as well as phosphorus and magnesium.

However, one of the other purposes of the 'five-a-day' plan is to get fibre into your diet. To that end - it would be best to include some more fibrous fruit and veg into your five a day.
Not Invented Yet
Rep:
?
(Original post by QI Elf)
No, they're nut. That is a recognised food group. Vegetables grow on trees? News to me.
Was that a pun or am I just too easily amused? I'm sure some vegetables grow on trees, like - um - well, fruit does! Ohh dear, I'm not very bright today. :o:
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No more than cows and bread do, no. It's five fruit and vegetables a day, not five of anything.
munn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
as long as you're eating them and not sucking them then they're good for you
actually maybe i should be telling you that sucking nuts is healthy too :awesome:
MarcD
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by la fille danse)
No more than cows and bread do, no. It's five fruit and vegetables a day, not five of anything.
:eek:
abc101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Er, no. Seeing as they're nuts.
Brotherhood
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by omlette)
No I don't think so. They're quite high in fat tbh. Not even potatoes count toward your 5 a day.
Good fat.

OP: No, but you should be eating them.
Kvothe34567
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Umm nuts are actually fruits..
Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kvothe34567)
Umm nuts are actually fruits..
Thanks for that ever so valuable and timely contribution. I'm sure the people in this thread have been itching to know this for the last 8 years.
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nuts are good for you in moderation. Feel free to eat them along with other healthy things. I just had a handful of walnuts myself.
Drostina
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Lol just eat what you want whenever you want..
Kvothe34567
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Manitude)
Thanks for that ever so valuable and timely contribution. I'm sure the people in this thread have been itching to know this for the last 8 years.
Hahahahaha that actually cracked me up

For real though, I didn't post it for the people in the thread, I did it for the sake of anyone new viewing this thread. These people were basically just chatting :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: so for people viewing this thread recently NUTS ARE FRUITS. SPREAD THE WORD.
Richard0328
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
the 5 a day is nothing more than a marketting strategy and has no scientific research to support the claims
Cognition!
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Studies show that 7 a day actually has more long-term benefits.

No, nuts don't count.

Peanuts are technically a legume, which sounds promising at first (they even grow underground), but they don't count either.

Nonetheless, nuts are pretty heavy on the vitamins/minerals thing- or maybe I'm just telling myself that so I can enjoy my coffee-and-walnut cake.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (46)
31.51%
No (76)
52.05%
Don't know (24)
16.44%

Watched Threads