Turn on thread page Beta

Using a provisional licence as I.D watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A friend and I were having a girly night in so we decided to go get some food and deicded we'd get a nice bottle of wine as a bit of treat lol! Anyway went to pay the cashier saw the bottle of wine and instantly asked for I.D which was fine I've been 18 nearly a year and always carry my provisional licence with me...when I showed it him he just looked at it and went "We can't accept provsionals anymore they can be faked...a new rule came in last week!!" Personally I think this is bull as I went clubbing up Broad Street on Saturday as was happily let into clubs and was served at the bar if they asked for I.D again cos addmitedly don't look 18!! Anyway now that rant is over can anyone tell if they've had similar problem and do i need to look at getting new I.D or is it just a load of rubbish??
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the post office wouldnt let me exchange money on card with my provisional. *******s.

ReputationRep:
    WTF? Thats weird... I always thought driving licenses were fine as ID!

ReputationRep:
    Some new government law/guideline apparently.

They can be used for ID if you're under 18, but if you're over 18 you need a full driving licence. Don't know why. Then again, most places don't care, only stuff like banks and shops that have to stick to the rules. Clubs, pub etc won't be bothered.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I've heard of it happening. I never had the problem.

ReputationRep:
    hurry up and pass your test then:p:

ReputationRep:
    Thats crazy! Next they won't be accepting full driving licenses either. Do they expect people with provisionals to carry their passports around with them instead??!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophisticated)
    Thats crazy! Next they won't be accepting full driving licenses either. Do they expect people with provisionals to carry their passports around with them instead??!?!
    That is exactly what they expect. Either that, or one of those Proof of Age cards you can send away for.

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of a problem with provisionals before - how odd :confused:

My mate who has a full driving license but isn't 18 yet, also has a fake one saying that he is and that got confiscated by a barman 'cuz he realised - my mate offered him £20 for it back (lol) but the barman wouldn't budge!

ReputationRep:
    the money changing thing has always been the case need a full drivers license or passport, but iv never heard of it being refused as I.D for just proof of age, thats pretty stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Self Preservation Society)
    That is exactly what they expect. Either that, or one of those Proof of Age cards you can send away for.
    Nowhere accepts those bloody things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lorniebee)
    A friend and I were having a girly night in so we decided to go get some food and deicded we'd get a nice bottle of wine as a bit of treat lol! Anyway went to pay the cashier saw the bottle of wine and instantly asked for I.D which was fine I've been 18 nearly a year and always carry my provisional licence with me...when I showed it him he just looked at it and went "We can't accept provsionals anymore they can be faked...a new rule came in last week!!" Personally I think this is bull as I went clubbing up Broad Street on Saturday as was happily let into clubs and was served at the bar if they asked for I.D again cos addmitedly don't look 18!!
    Er, unless the nightclub and the off licence were owned by the same people, how can you compare their regulations?

(Original post by superluke2k8)
    Yeah, the post office wouldnt let me exchange money on card with my provisional. *******s.
    Similar experience to this.

A while back, I wanted some Euros and wasn't allowed to get them straight from a debit card with only a provisional as ID. I had to cash it all out instead :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by struz)
    Yeah my mate had one of those but nowhere accepted it!!! Guess I'd better pass my test or dig my passport out quickly lol

ReputationRep:
    Looks like I'm screwed, since I've never had a passport and can't afford driving lessons (and I'm not particularly interested in learning to drive, either). Having a provisional was my only hope of having ID

ReputationRep:
    Up until I passed my test (March) I used my provisional to get into clubs etc and it was just fine. I think its up to the place though as one pub wouldn't accept provisionals, but every other place I've been to has.

Edit: Note that you really do need the new design provisionals to be safe (same design as the newer full licenses)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by struz)
    Agree totally, most of them look fake and bouncers'll just turn you away...

ReputationRep:
    wtf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    Looks like I'm screwed, since I've never had a passport and can't afford driving lessons (and I'm not particularly interested in learning to drive, either). Having a provisional was my only hope of having ID
    This is why I got so annoyed cos I'm sure my passport runs out fairly soon and being at uni I can't really afford it =S

ReputationRep:
    So you can't use provisional licenses now? ******* ********, I wonder if the government has done this so that we have to accept ID cards, and they will be the only form of ID.

**** this country, I'm getting out as soon as I can.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.