The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
M-J
Still dont understand why people wouldnt just want to wear super sexy glasses!

Well, I wouldn't look like an artist if I wore glasses :p:

Glasses suits some people, doesn't suit others. I am the latter, it does not suit me.
Reply 41
well my optician told me that i can sleep in my contacts - but only occasionaly
Reply 42
Well for one thing, when you go swimming, rollercoaster rides, having glasses doesn't help as they will get messed up in water, unless you wear funny goggles to accomodate the size, or tape em to your head :biggrin: on rollercoaster ride, or hold 'em in position... he he
Reply 43
DOJO
Well, I wouldn't look like an artist if I wore glasses :p:

Glasses suits some people, doesn't suit others. I am the latter, it does not suit me.

oh well you'd better not wear them then......

the contact lense chat may continue..... :rolleyes:
Interesting...

I briefly tried contacts, but my eyes are quite steep, so I had to try several, and the ones I've got aren't 100% perfect, but meh. T'was also a pain having to put them in every morning (I'm a master of get up and get to school 5mins later.... Contacts take me about 5 mins to put in :frown:)
I keep meaning to buy a packet for the occasional times I go clubbing..
These night+day ones sound interesting tho, shall have to look into it.

Once I went to a wedding, got rather..... energetically....dancing, and managed to knock my glasses off. Am still suprised they weren't trodden on...
Hence why I want contacts :wink:
Reply 45
bwgames

Once I went to a wedding, got rather..... energetically....dancing, and managed to knock my glasses off. Am still suprised they weren't trodden on...

ahh the upside of contacts i have been waiting to hear about
Reply 46
bwgames

LOL!

You say your eyes are quite 'steep' what is your eyesight number thingy? (you know when you go to the opticians they give you this number starting with minus sign to show how bad your eyesight is).

Contacts are not difficult to wear, I think it's b/c you probably wear them less frequently you have difficulty with them. I've been wearing mine pretty much every day since last Summer, I haven't had any probs.
Reply 47
Xanthe
LOL!

You say your eyes are quite 'steep' what is your eyesight number thingy? (you know when you go to the opticians they give you this number starting with minus sign to show how bad your eyesight is).

I think tis Diopters, i.e. the defective power of your refractive eye components.. mine's -2.5D & -4.5D - so my glasses confuse people who try them on!

& contacts certainly go up to -10D, an ex wore them because his glasses were so thick..

eurasianfeline, twas quite ouchy, yet i still found it exciting.. hence why i'm a medic, perhaps! :redface:
Reply 48
Mine is an absolute terrible -5.0, worser than anyone I know...your is a mere -2.5!
lol ...specs...the old trevor mcdonald factor :cool:

anyhow. please please never sleep in them. my friend did this and when she woke up she had a BLISTER on her EYEBALL. they are often hellish to get out and your eyes feel dry afterward. you also risk corneal neovasularisation (where blood vessels grow over your eye) and microbial keratitis which can lead to blindeness.
http://www.alanoptics.per.sg/cl-prob.htm
have you considered switching to 30-day extended wear lenses?you can sleep in them every night with much less risks
Reply 50
Xanthe
Mine is an absolute terrible -5.0, worser than anyone I know...your is a mere -2.5!

-5.5 and -6.5! But I have a friend whose eyes are worse.
Reply 51
Xanthe

yes, i know mine isn't that bad - but the difference of 2D between my eyes (so one is -4.5, almost as bad as your terrible -5 :wink: ) can make things awkward! i was just illustrating my explaination of what the number you referred to (D) was with my personal example..

& my ex was -10 in both, as i said.. so contact lenses can definitely go up to that.. & comparatively, your eyesight isn't so terrible..!
Reply 52
magiccarpet
lol ...specs...the old

anyhow. please please never sleep in them. my friend did this and when she woke up she had a BLISTER on her EYEBALL. they are often hellish to get out and your eyes feel dry afterward. you also risk corneal neovasularisation (where blood vessels grow over your eye) and microbial keratitis which can lead to blindeness.
http://www.alanoptics.per.sg/cl-prob.htm
have you considered switching to 30-day extended wear lenses?you can sleep in them every night with much less risks

well it depends on the leses - as i've already posted here, my optician who i trust said that mine are absolutely fine to sleep in (occasionally)...btw i have Soflens by Bausch & Lomb
No, I wear them from 7:30 - 4:30 on Mondays to Fridays.

I've had a nap in them for a couple of hours before and they were fine. But one time I put them in in the morning and didn't take them out until the morning of the next day. It was alright at the time, but the day after when I next put them in they hurt like hell and I had to take them out and couldn't put them in for about a week.

I hear it can badly damage your eyes, don't sleep in them!
Reply 54
I wear monthlies. I do sleep in them, on occasion, and experience little/no discomfort (although I'm nonetheless well aware of associated risks vis-a-vis oxygen deprivation, &c.).
Reply 55
I have the gas-permeable ones and have left them in a couple of time by addicent, no problem - I just took them out in the morning for a few hours.
Xanthe
LOL!

Contacts are not difficult to wear, I think it's b/c you probably wear them less frequently you have difficulty with them. I've been wearing mine pretty much every day since last Summer, I haven't had any probs.

Only -3.5 in both eyes, but what I meant by 'steep' was that my face is quite slim, so my eyeballs are curved more than usual, so the contacts weren't moulding to my eyes closely enough.
(At least thats what my optician said)
I'm guessing the 'base curve' number on my contacts relate to that :confused: its 8.4 if that means anyone to anyone :wink:

Yeah, I could probably get used to it after a while, but I only intend to wear them for special occasions when I want to look good (and not have to worry about losing glasses :redface: ).... Mine are Frequency 55 Aspheric (CooperVision), dunno what else there is...
My optician just said that if i'm drunk and dont take them out then in the morning dont take them out straight away bcos they;ve stuck to ur eyeball
SasunD
Well, I have never worn monthly ones so I wouldn't know, but when I went to the optician she said that when wearing contact lenses, you shouldn't wear them, (whether daily or monthly) for more than a week without having a break for at least a day for your eyes to have a bit of fresh air.

No, I don't think you are being ripped off. At Specsavers, it £12.99 for a monthly pair, and £24.99 for a months supply of daily disposables...

Its about £18 a month for the day and night ones from specsavers that you can sleep in
Reply 59
bwgames

Yeah, I could probably get used to it after a while, but I only intend to wear them for special occasions when I want to look good (and not have to worry about losing glasses :redface: ).... Mine are Frequency 55 Aspheric (CooperVision), dunno what else there is...

oh frequency were my first contacts but my eyes didn't like them :biggrin: i've been using frequency liquid though

Latest

Trending

Trending