The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
hotnanoo
Its supply and demand no body like paying that much but they will. like a millionnaire would'nt care if he spent 2 grand on a suit, its all relative to the amount of money we have

If we're taking about quality then yes it is definetly worth the extra cash for a suit.

Most designers clothes are made in Italy/France or basically where the company is based and do not have sweatshops.
Reply 41
hotnanoo
Its supply and demand no body like paying that much but they will. like a millionnaire would'nt care if he spent 2 grand on a suit, its all relative to the amount of money we have

so why do the majority of nike wearers come from poorer backgrounds, while people who spend less come from richer backgrounds? are there 'value-of-money' issues here?
Reply 42
Chris_
If we're taking about quality then yes it is definetly worth the extra cash for a suit.

Most designers clothes are made in Italy/France or basically where the company is based and do not have sweatshops.

here here
Reply 43
El_Borish
so why do the majority of nike wearers come from poorer backgrounds, while people who spend less come from richer backgrounds? are there 'value-of-money' issues here?

thats a good point. People from poorer backgronds need this to make themselves lokk better or to affiliate themselves as being better off, i know its a big generalisation, but look at 'gangsters from the hood'
Reply 44
hotnanoo
thats a good point. People from poorer backgronds need this to make themselves lokk better or to affiliate themselves as being better off, i know its a big generalisation, but look at 'gangsters from the hood'

as pop psychology goes, i quite like that piece!
Reply 45
hotnanoo

although, the thought just occered to me that if they ALL do that, they are instantly labeling themselves AS people who need to do that, thereby creating a vicious circle. interesting
Reply 46
El_Borish
although, the thought just occered to me that if they ALL do that, they are instantly labeling themselves AS people who need to do that, thereby creating a vicious circle. interesting

i don't really get that but great lol
Reply 47
hotnanoo
i don't really get that but great lol

meh, time for lunch
Reply 48
El_Borish
meh, time for lunch

can't fasting lol
Reply 49
El_Borish
i just think its wrong, thats all! why do companies like nike HAVE to charge so much if they can get cheap labour, and why do people pay it?

Well if Nike lowered all their prices to £10, everyone could afford it and so it would become more 'common'. Then everyone who wanted to distingush themselves from the rest would go and buy something else more expensive.

It's a status symbol, people like to be seen in expensive clothes because it says something about them.
Reply 50
NikNak
Well if Nike lowered all their prices to £10, everyone could afford it and so it would become more 'common'. Then everyone who wanted to distingush themselves from the rest would go and buy something else more expensive.

It's a status symbol, people like to be seen in expensive clothes because it says something about them.

I don't think of Nike as upmarket (if that's the right word?) clothing.
Reply 51
Egan1

becasue peopel have more money and can afford it but then now armani and versace are the new up market labels whereas before it wa nike and addidas
Reply 52
El_Borish
ok, heres a puzzler, but before you read this i want to make it clear im not tree-hugging earth mother (well, father, but hey) type, i just dont spend unnecessarily large amounts on clothes, ok?

ok, can someone PLEASE tell me the reasoning behind spending like £140 on nike trainers, or £120 on a D&G T-shirt?

i mean its a T-SHIRT for god sake, you can buy one exactly the same but with no D&G ion it for like a fiver, so WHY!?!?!?!?!!?

this i have pondered for some time, someone come up with a good answer, please!!

well, its called materialism (a.ka. "lets all buy that cos it look good, its got a posh label on it.")
Lyd
Reply 53
giddylid1
well, its called materialism (a.ka. "lets all buy that cos it look good, its got a posh label on it.")
Lyd

hmm, simple, but effective.

*refer to previous posts for responses - most are very similar!*
Reply 54
Egan1

No they are not, but they are well know branded shoes that are not known for being cheap. If you could pick them up for a fiver, no one would want to wear them because they would be seen as cheap. My point was that the cost of certain makes of clothes is actually why people buy them.
Reply 55
Egan1

I know this probably isn't politically correct but don't brands like Nike, Addidas/ other sports brands make you think of skanky council estate children, burning cars and flats with broken windows? I'll be honest I wear sports gear occasionally ....like when I'm playing sport but not all the time! People who wear sports stuff all the time really annoy me..and don't even get me started on burberry....
Reply 56
Pegasus
I know this probably isn't politically correct but don't brands like Nike, Addidas/ other sports brands make you think of skanky council estate children, burning cars and flats with broken windows? I'll be honest I wear sports gear occasionally ....like when I'm playing sport but not all the time! People who wear sports stuff all the time really annoy me..and don't even get me started on burberry....

Burberry? thats just wrong!!! its should be banned!!
Reply 57
as a response to not finding happiness in consumerism, people invest further in consumerism.
Reply 58
Pegasus

whats wrong with wearing sports gear all the type. What if they find it comfortable??? Although that stereotypical view is true across many parts of Britain, they seee these clothes worn by 'gangsters' and therefore wear them themsleves
Reply 59
hotnanoo
whats wrong with wearing sports gear all the type. What if they find it comfortable??? Although that stereotypical view is true across many parts of Britain, they seee these clothes worn by 'gangsters' and therefore wear them themsleves

Perhaps I'm being unfair. But wasn't it more fun in the days when people made an effort i.e people should dress more like this :smile: :

Latest

Trending

Trending