Turn on thread page Beta

Going to the Other Side of the Pond watch

ReputationRep:
    Recently, I had a look on the applications to US Unis online. It looks like some of the top unis there will take on people who only have A'level results. Some of them will very kindly pay for everything if you need them to. Will you try? Deadline for most unis is Jan 1st.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    Recently, I had a look on the applications to US Unis online. It looks like some of the top unis there will take on people who only have A'level results. Some of them will very kindly pay for everything if you need them to. Will you try? Deadline for most unis is Jan 1st.
    How do you apply? Do they have an organisation similar to UCAS? Got any website addresses that I can go to to get more info? Any help much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    How do you apply? Do they have an organisation similar to UCAS? Got any website addresses that I can go to to get more info? Any help much appreciated.
    yeah i'd like to know as well bet the best bet is to search on google for the american uni websites, then find out from them.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.collegeboard.com

ReputationRep:
    I found a web site for the Universities Research Association. I assume all listed US unis are very good. These include Harvard, Yale, Princeton and so on. Worth having a look at.

http://www.ura-hq.org/universities/index.html

ReputationRep:
    I found a web site for the Universities Research Association. I assume all listed US unis are very good. These include Harvard, Yale, Princeton and so on. Worth having a look at.

http://www.ura-hq.org/universities/index.html
    but are a levels good enough for them ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    http://www.collegeboard.com
    God it looks quite complicated - loads of different deadlines for things as well (17th Aug SAT Test????)

ReputationRep:
    Also...does any know what to do about funding? Can you still get student loans from the UK? I have just read on a few US uni websites that you must sign a form to say that you can finance yourself while in the US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotnanoo)
    but are a levels good enough for them ???
    Of course, A-Levels a more advanced qualification than the simple "high school diploma" which you get from graduating from a U.S high school. You will however have to sit the SAT1 (and depending on where you wish to apply the SAT2 as well) in addition to this though.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.review.com

ReputationRep:
    Of course, A-Levels a more advanced qualification than the simple "high school diploma" which you get from graduating from a U.S high school. You will however have to sit the SAT1 (and depending on where you wish to apply the SAT2 as well) in addition to this though.
    so could lower A levels grades gve you more in america plus would like AAB be enough for Harvard because competiton is vicous and then the people applyig from england ae gona be like AAAA.

ReputationRep:
    I think Yale says that A'levels are ok. Make sure you take a look at the uni's addmission sites though.

What the hell is SAT anyway? I ain't taking no American exams.

ReputationRep:
    Also...does any know what to do about funding? Can you still get student loans from the UK? I have just read on a few US uni websites that you must sign a form to say that you can finance yourself while in the US.
    Yea, you will have to prove that you have the necessary financial resources to meet their "minimum requirements" (in the case of the University of Pennsylvania for example this is $10,000 a year). After that, if the university you apply to decides to accept you they may well offer you a financial aid package dependent on need, merit or both. Financial aid differs enormously from uni to uni however, so it's something you would really have to research yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you can get a full scholarship, it's not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    exactly it ould cost far too much, can you imagine more debt then going to uni here

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but can you get student loans from the UK to finance your study overseas or would I need to find the money myself?

I am assuming that I would be too late to apply to US universities for entry in 2004?

Also, does anyone know of any websites that are designed for UK students applying to american universities? I am really confused on how to go about it at the moment.

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks for your help guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotnanoo)
    so could lower A levels grades gve you more in america plus would like AAB be enough for Harvard because competiton is vicous and then the people applyig from england ae gona be like AAAA.
    American university admissions policies are very different from British ones. Your final examination results are of no importance (unless perhaps you apply post A-level). What is important is your high school transcript (the grades you have been getting from your school between the first year of GCSE and last year of A-levels); your SAT1 score (an exam made up of two components "verbal" and "maths" which are equally weighted and have a top mark of 1600; your extra-curricular activites (can be very important for US unis); your SAT2 scores (like SAT1 only subject specific and the extra essays and references which you submit to each individual colleg.

ReputationRep:
    I think Yale says that A'levels are ok. Make sure you take a look at the uni's addmission sites though.

What the hell is SAT anyway? I ain't taking no American exams.
    There is no way Yale (or any half-decent U.S uni) would admit you without taking the SAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    A lot of US uni's have a "need blind" policy which means if they want you in their instituion they will only charge you as much as you can reasonably afford.

ReputationRep:
    I am assuming that I would be too late to apply to US universities for entry in 2004?
    No, regular decision applications can be submitted for some time to come (the exact date depends on the individual college).

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.