Watch
This discussion is closed.
Camford
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by hotnanoo)
exactly it ould cost far too much, can you imagine more debt then going to uni here
At least go to the US give you the chance of not having to pay. In England, you just don't have that chance.

A quote from Brown Universities website:
5. External Examinations: SAT I AND SAT II; ACT
Brown requires every applicant to submit results of either the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT I) and any three SAT II subject exams, or the American College Test (ACT). The SAT II writing test is recommended for all students. Credentials earned within your educational system cannot be substituted for these examinations. These examinations are administered in cities all over the world several times each year. These tests must be completed by December preceding the September of desired enrollment. You must make your own arrangements to take the tests, registering at least eight weeks before the actual test date and instructing that the results be sent directly to Brown University.
Basically, if you have not booked for the exams, you are screwed. Unless you apply to unis that take A'level. Damn!
kildare
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
At least go to the US give you the chance of not having to pay. In England, you just don't have that chance.

A quote from Brown Universities website:

Basically, if you have not booked for the exams, you are screwed. Unless you apply to unis that take A'level. Damn!
Find out where your nearest SAT test centre is, ring them up and ask to register late for the next test date. If they won't let you, ask to be put on the waiting list, turn up on the day and hope for the best.
Camford
Rep:
?
Where's the uk's SAT test centre? Haven't we got one or what? It's not on Collegeboard.

Mistake, last chance for international applicants is April 29 2004. Cost a lot.
hotnanoo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Where's the uk's SAT test centre? Haven't we got one or what? It's not on Collegeboard.

thats good plenty of time
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

There are plenty of centre's in the UK, it's just a case of finding the one nearest to you.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
thats good plenty of time
If you really want to go to apply to the US for admittance in 2004 I would strongly suggest that you look to take the SAT1 and SAT2's as soon as possible.
hotnanoo
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
If you really want to go to apply to the US for admittance in 2004 I would strongly suggest that you look to take the SAT1 and SAT2's as soon as possible.
I am seriuosly considering that but at the moment i was also thinking of applying to paksitan and doing a politics course there. But what do you need to know for thae SATs papers
Camford
Rep:
?
There is no way Yale (or any half-decent U.S uni) would admit you without taking the SAT.
Quote from http://www.yale.edu/admit/international/index.html:
If you are applying from a school outside the United States or Canada, the application procedure and timetables are essentially the same as for candidates applying from schools in the United States. Either the SAT I and three SAT II Subject Tests, or the ACT, is required, with only two exceptions. Students whose home countries (e.g., mainland China) do not have a testing center are, of course, exempt. In addition, students enrolled in A-level programs may use completed A-level results as a substitute for the SAT II Subject Tests on a one-for-one basis provided official test results arrive at Yale by February of 2004. No other substitutions are acceptable.
But the nasty thing is they want the results in Feb 2004. :mad:
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
SAT1's just test simple maths and verbal skills. SAT2's are more subject specific, the three you choose would probably depend on what A-Levels you do. If you think there is any chance whatsoever that you'll apply to the U.S you'd be better off taking them as soon as possible.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Quote from http://www.yale.edu/admit/international/index.html:

But the nasty thing is they want the results in Feb 2004. :mad:
That's quite interesting actually. You'd still have to take the SAT1 though, even if you were a post A-level applicant. Seen as you're not though, I suppose you're going to have to take the SAT2's
hotnanoo
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
SAT1's just test simple maths and verbal skills. SAT2's are more subject specific, the three you choose would probably depend on what A-Levels you do. If you think there is any chance whatsoever that you'll apply to the U.S you'd be better off taking them as soon as possible.
thanks, they way i'v figured it out is that the more you apply to the larger the chance of getting in is
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
im doing a gap year thing that involves going to an american school (not a uni) for 5 months (im leaving january). thankfully i dont have to pay for it, otherwise id never have considered going: the fees for 5 months are $17,300 !
itd better be good lol
hotnanoo
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by edders)
im doing a gap year thing that involves going to an american school (not a uni) for 5 months (im leaving january). thankfully i dont have to pay for it, otherwise id never have considered going: the fees for 5 months are $17,300 !
itd better be good lol
what are you doin there ?
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
itd better be good lol
If you've already completed A-Levels, what's the point in going back to a U.S high school?
Camford
Rep:
?
thanks, they way i'v figured it out is that the more you apply to the larger the chance of getting in is
a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, take that step
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
itd better be good lol
That sounds good - what is the idea of going to the school for a year? Isn't it just a-level standard stuff?

Yea, if anyone knows of a website guide for UK applicants applying to US universities, I would be very appreciative (hovers mouse over the rep button lol)
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well, i've already got my a-levels so I guess I would just have to complete SAT 1.

I've decided that i'm going to continue with my UCAS application as well as applying to US universities - just in case they don't want me lol
hotnanoo
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, take that step
lol, i appreciate that people actually look at sigs now and i always take that step cuz if you don't you'l never get any where :cool:
hotnanoo
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
Well, i've already got my a-levels so I guess I would just have to complete SAT 1.

I've decided that i'm going to continue with my UCAS application as well as applying to US universities - just in case they don't want me lol
good idea a foot in every door, well atleast two any wayss lol
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)

Hmmm, it really depends on the insitution, some colleges may insist on SAT II's, even with A-level grades under your belt.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (38)
13.77%
Virtual campus tours/open days (62)
22.46%
Live streaming events (25)
9.06%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (27)
9.78%
A uni comparison tool (64)
23.19%
An in-person event when available (60)
21.74%