AQA Geography - Health Issues - Famine

Watch
aROOba
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hi, I don't know if anyone else is doing Health Issues, but we are doing famine and have been set a past paper to do and research 'a named example where famine has taken place'
I cannot find anything and i am seriously panicking! We have been set a ridiculous amount of geography work and i don't know how I am going to get it all done!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
piece-of-me
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
most of this is from the nelson thornes book.

the region of the world that has been most prone to repeated and widespread famine in the late 20th and 21th centuries is the Sahel region of Africa.

in 2005, serious famine affected Niger and Chad. lesser problems also affected Mauritania, Guinea Bissau, Cape Verde and Senegal.

unfortunately many people in these areas were not able to buy food when their crops and livestock failed.

These sahelian countries are classified as some of the least developed countries in the world. 61% of the people in Niger have less than $1 per day to live on. over half of the country's wealth is owned by only 20% of the population while the poorest 20% own less than 5% of the total wealth.
Children are dying of starvation in feeding centres in Niger, where 3.6m people face severe food shortages
The crisis in the south of the country has been caused by a drought and a plague of locusts which destroyed much of last year's harvest.
Aid agency World Vision warns that 10% of the children in the worst affected areas could die. Niger is a vast desert country and one of the poorest on earth. Millions of people, a third of the population, face food shortages.

most of the Niger's poor live in rural areas and depend on subsistence farming. the main consent on their farming is the unreliable water supply or no water supply at all.
dlg3579
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Irish potato famine, Great Chinese famine. Great North Korean Famine. First twon are slightly outdated i.e. 1847 and 1959 but Korean one is late 90's
piece-of-me
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
what case studies are there for this Question, anyone?

With reference to one or more schemes, explain the benefits of training local people as
basic health workers to work in poor areas in less developed countries.
aROOba
Rep:
?
(Original post by piece-of-me)

With reference to one or more schemes, explain the benefits of training local people as
cuba maybe? the healthcare system there is very good & many people go to work overseas after being trained there?
achibachi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
^ yeh i think your right.
thanks
indajay16
Report 12 years ago
hi guys
i was trying to find information for this part of the specification
'age, gender, wealth and their influence on access to facilities of exercise, healthcare and good nutrition'

any ideas of what i can put down?
aROOba
Rep:
?
(Original post by indajay16)
hi guys
i was trying to find information for this part of the specification
'age, gender, wealth and their influence on access to facilities of exercise, healthcare and good nutrition'

any ideas of what i can put down?
That bit was quite easy IMO - I made a table and wrote down a couple of points for each -
stuff like breast screening for women
bowel cancer screening for over 60's
buying more expensive organic food for wealth (on the flip side they have more money to eat out more - more unhealthy)
access to sports for young people - age restrictions on gyms, lack of fields to play in, pe lessons

If you break each bit down, you should be ok, a lot of it is common sense. Good luck!
Confidentclown
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by piece-of-me)

i know this is a long shot.. but do you possibly have this past paper? i can only go back to 2011

thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (201)
43.6%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (52)
11.28%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.59%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (98)
21.26%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (48)
10.41%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.86%

Watched Threads