The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Student Life at UCL

you get unis with quite a good party atmosphere, people I know at leeds and bath and bristol all have great social lives and such, and all the people seem really up for a laugh, outgoing etc. as well as studying. Is this the case with UCL? Just worried, no offence, that since its a really top of the league tables uni, and theres a lot of international students, itd be more of a quiet place, and people wouldn't have such an attitude as other said unis

any advice or anything to clarify this or tell me im completely wrong?

Scroll to see replies

I hope not.

If it is I hope they'll take my interests into account on my accommodation app and put me with other people who have also specified that they "HATE clubbing, dancing and loud parties".

I'm sure I'll be in a very small minority. :dry:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
No offence? You callin' me a geek, punk? :cool:

But yeah, people are outgoing as ever. Most get drunk, a lot smoke, some do drugs :ninja:
It's in town. Some of the best clubs in the world are here. Internationals hang with internationals and Brits, they're more outgoing than you'd think.

So yes, you are completely wrong. :yep:
rockrunride
No offence? You callin' me a geek, punk? :cool:

But yeah, people are outgoing as ever. Most get drunk, a lot smoke, some do drugs :ninja:
It's in town. Some of the best clubs in the world are here. Internationals hang with internationals and Brits, they're more outgoing than you'd think.

So yes, you are completely wrong. :yep:

i'm glad i'm completely wrong (:
so is it like, intelligent, yet real people? lots of halls parties etc.?

:smile:
intelligence =/= massive work ethic. One of my friends is smarter than me but is never arsed to do her work.

Not that many halls parties tbh. Ramsay and Ifor have one at Hallowe'en. Halls are generally used for pre-club lash. Bars and clubs are generally used for parties, and the student union is generally unfrequented by first years in proportion to others. UCLU organises a few club parties such as VODPOP and Club Neon, and the Freshers Week one-offs at KOKO and Egg, but their reputations are going downhill. There's a few independent student promotions companies which organise parties at Fabric, Pacha and Ministry amongst others.

An illegal (by college rules) party was set up a few weeks back, and we were unreliably informed that the warden wasn't there. We ended up walking the streets for most of the night and finally ended up in someone else's hall.
applemilk1992
Just worried, no offence, that since its a really top of the league tables uni, and theres a lot of international students, itd be more of a quiet place, and people wouldn't have such an attitude as other said unis

Er..... what makes you think that loads of international students are not partying, outgoing types? I think you'll find that at all unis in the UK and the world, the overseas students are willing to mix with anyone be it the same nationality or the locals or other nationals. Everyone is very sociable, except maybe the Chinese. :p:
applemilk1992
you get unis with quite a good party atmosphere, people I know at leeds and bath and bristol all have great social lives and such, and all the people seem really up for a laugh, outgoing etc. as well as studying. Is this the case with UCL? Just worried, no offence, that since its a really top of the league tables uni, and theres a lot of international students, itd be more of a quiet place, and people wouldn't have such an attitude as other said unis

Man if nobody wants to party with you, I will! :P:

So you're from Man Chest Hair? Us Northerners will stick together, we'll be fine...

But in all seriousness, I can't see it being a problem. I wouldn't have accepted it as firm if I didn't think there wasn't going to be a night life!
Reply 7
littleshambles
I hope not.

If it is I hope they'll take my interests into account on my accommodation app and put me with other people who have also specified that they "HATE clubbing, dancing and loud parties".

I'm sure I'll be in a very small minority. :dry:

I want you to be my neighbour :yep:
Reply 8
Just a question, when did international mean that one was not outgoing?

I mean those two have nothing to do with each other!
Rob_K
I want you to be my neighbour :yep:

:bigsmile: Likewise :cute:
urgh. I am at ucl and i have no social life :frown:. I hate clubbing, dancing, etc, which everyone else seems to be into. If you are shy and like me, hate the above, you're screwed and uni will be boring regardless of where you go. If you are a party animal, you'll be fine....everyone gets wasted and pukes everywhere and clubbing and dancing is really really big at ucl.

i hope this clarifies things...if you get here, you'll notice lots of spam cards being distributed/left in the chemistry LT regarding Vodpop which is some lame clubbing event.

urgh....wish people were more into coffee/pubs/old fashioned chat :frown:
blue_shift86
Amen to that. chinese people suck - they are so ******* cliquey and rarely talk to anyone that is non-chinese! If you guys are reading this: STOP BEING SO CLIQUEY and talk to non-chinese people - we don't bite :p:

omg,is that because there're so many Chinese in ucl,like 2 over 5? i know its not good being cliquey,but why it sucks? I hope i can intergrate with people from other ethinc groups thougn
Reply 12
blue_shift86
urgh. I am at ucl and i have no social life :frown:. I hate clubbing, dancing, etc, which everyone else seems to be into. If you are shy and like me, hate the above, you're screwed and uni will be boring regardless of where you go. If you are a party animal, you'll be fine....everyone gets wasted and pukes everywhere and clubbing and dancing is really really big at ucl.

i hope this clarifies things...if you get here, you'll notice lots of spam cards being distributed/left in the chemistry LT regarding Vodpop which is some lame clubbing event.

Whaa? i havent been clubbing for like 3/4 months, i have a group of friends who love just going out for drinks/chatting the night away! maybe you got unlucky, but generally i would say theres something for everyone here.

of course, atm no one goes out at all. Examss!
blue_shift86

Can I be your friend :shifty:
littleshambles
Can I be your friend :shifty:

sure, why not:P.
I heard that UCL is where all the rich english kids go to uni, and they buy loads of drugs!

To be honest, you can't believe all you hear. Although I was worried about a huge work ethic at UCL too, which I am really not into, because their standard offer is AAA. Ergo everyone must be really smart etc.
Then I was like "Most (if not all) 18 year olds will like to party"

And if I don't find students to party with I'll be making friends with the locals. :biggrin:

Here, on a slightly unrelated note, are any of you lot applying for Halls? I really have no idea where to apply!
cmcguigan470
I heard that UCL is where all the rich english kids go to uni, and they buy loads of drugs!

To be honest, you can't believe all you hear. Although I was worried about a huge work ethic at UCL too, which I am really not into, because their standard offer is AAA. Ergo everyone must be really smart etc.
Then I was like "Most (if not all) 18 year olds will like to party"

And if I don't find students to party with I'll be making friends with the locals. :biggrin:

Here, on a slightly unrelated note, are any of you lot applying for Halls? I really have no idea where to apply!

Student life is what you make of it, and in many ways what you want it to be. You are in the capitol city of the UK, if you fail to enjoy your time, it's going to be a result of your own lack of willingness to explore and embrace the opportunities infront of you.

The people at UCL are much like those found at any other university - they may be a bit brighter, i.e. indicative of their A-Level results, but at the end of the day people are much the same.

If you want to go out every night of the week you can - if you want to stay in no one's stopping you. At the end of the day there are 20,000 students at UCL, of which 12,000 are undergraduates, of which 3000 will be in your year - it's far from hard to find people you get along with, provided you put in the effort.
BetterThanHeaven
Student life is what you make of it, and in many ways what you want it to be. You are in the capitol city of the UK, if you fail to enjoy your time, it's going to be a result of your own lack of willingness to explore and embrace the opportunities infront of you.

The people at UCL are much like those found at any other university - they may be a bit brighter, i.e. indicative of their A-Level results, but at the end of the day people are much the same.

If you want to go out every night of the week you can - if you want to stay in no one's stopping you. At the end of the day there are 20,000 students at UCL, of which 12,000 are undergraduates, of which 3000 will be in your year - it's far from hard to find people you get along with, provided you put in the effort.

I can't wait! :biggrin:
When I went for an Open Day the girl I was speaking to was talking about all the parties in the halls, and how good the night life is and how you can never be bored because everything it in London!

Hence why I accepted the offer, the social life sounds pretty good to me.
Reply 19
Eljamaispa
When I went for an Open Day the girl I was speaking to was talking about all the parties in the halls, and how good the night life is and how you can never be bored because everything it in London!

Hence why I accepted the offer, the social life sounds pretty good to me.

t-a-r-online
Man if nobody wants to party with you, I will! :P:

So you're from Man Chest Hair? Us Northerners will stick together, we'll be fine...

But in all seriousness, I can't see it being a problem. I wouldn't have accepted it as firm if I didn't think there wasn't going to be a night life!

I want you and you to be my neighbours.

Latest

Trending

Trending